Liggins Considering Leaving

Clyde

Only problem I had with Liggins on D last night was getting caught up on screens trying to chase Kemba too often. That is going to happen to anyone that guards him, and is why I thought he was better off on Lamb or as the game played out on Napier when he was in to allow Kemba to play the 2. It happened on most of the shots Kemba did make and was there on several he missed. That said he fought through on the 2 blocks which were huge...

Kemba hit a few tough shots, especially late. All in all, it was very good D. Liggins was denying Kemba the ball when he was running OOB on the baseline. :lol:

Tough for me to fault the D when you only allow 56 points...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kemba hit a few tough shots, especially late. All in all, it was very good D. Liggins was denying Kemba the ball when he was running OOB on the baseline. :lol:

Tough for me to fault the D when you only allow 56 points...

No doubt. Just pointing out the one flaw I saw on using Liggins on Kemba. Cal did a great job mixing straight man, switch everything man and zone...

No doubt. Just pointing out the one flaw I saw on using Liggins on Kemba. Cal did a great job mixing straight man, switch everything man and zone...

:thumb: I thought Cal's gameplan was great, especially for a guy who doesn't know basketball. :D

If only it included a few more made free throws...

Liggins probably should stay another year, because his game is not ready for the NBA. However at the same time even though his stock right now only may be a 2nd round pick, that might be the highest he gets. Depending on who stays, he will have less playing time next year. There is a good chance that Miller and Lamb are back, and then you have Gilchrest and Teague coming in. Then you throw in the chance of Knight staying, and he will see his minutes cut down a lot IMO. So this might be the best time for him to test it out if he is going to go.

Only problem I had with Liggins on D last night was getting caught up on screens trying to chase Kemba too often. That is going to happen to anyone that guards him, and is why I thought he was better off on Lamb or as the game played out on Napier when he was in to allow Kemba to play the 2. It happened on most of the shots Kemba did make and was there on several he missed. That said he fought through on the 2 blocks which were huge...

All week, my opinion was, he would have been more benficial guarding Lamb, in that Walker could have gotten off, but he would have had to be on. Guarding Walker, he gave up 18, and 7 assists, that's a bunch of points, all the while UConn scored on some put backs of Walker's misses as well.

Interesting article on Liggins' defense vs. Kemba. Seems Kemba thought he defended him well and Calhoun was not "as impressed."

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/04/04/1695639/kemba-compliments-liggins-defense.html

When a reporter asked Liggins about stopping Walker, the UK player suggested a correction.

"I didn't stop him," he said. "I just contained him and made every shot tough."

UConn Coach Jim Calhoun suggested that reporters not exaggerate the good defense played by Liggins and UK.

"He only had 18 (points), seven (assists), six (rebounds), got loose balls, blocked shots," Calhoun said. "If that's controlling, he's far and away the best player in the country. He dominated the game when it had to be dominated. Down the stretch, he made big shots. That's, frankly, the telling time of a great player."

You have to keep in mind a few things regarding Liggins.

For one he is no spring chicken. I am too lazy to look it up but I would venture to say he is roughly 23 years old right now.

Another factor is that he has a new baby which complicates matters.

Sure he has a few things he can work on, but will his stock be any higher than it is now?

All week, my opinion was, he would have been more benficial guarding Lamb, in that Walker could have gotten off, but he would have had to be on. Guarding Walker, he gave up 18, and 7 assists, that's a bunch of points, all the while UConn scored on some put backs of Walker's misses as well.

Walker had a pretty average game for him, especially compared to what he had been doing in other tournament games.

UK gave up 56 points, I think the defensive game plan was great.

Walker had a pretty average game for him, especially compared to what he had been doing in other tournament games.

UK gave up 56 points, I think the defensive game plan was great.

Agreed. You can't argue with the results of Cal's gameplan defensively. Liggins on Walker was the best strategy, IMO. If Liggins doesn't guard him, UConn scores more than 56.

Agreed. You can't argue with the results of Cal's gameplan defensively. Liggins on Walker was the best strategy, IMO. If Liggins doesn't guard him, UConn scores more than 56.

Walker was averaging 26 ppg in the tournament and Lamb was around 19.

UK held them to 18 and 12 and people still want to criticize the defense? Amazing.

I agree with most posters above that Liggins did a good job on Walker. Honestly, I will take that game out of Walker every time and like my chances versus U Conn. Especially since the other defenders kept Lamb pretty well in check also. Liggins can play defense and be an attractive asset in that area to an NBA team.

I actually see Liggins being better suited to the NBA than college. His game is a more open court game. I see some of the same things in Liggins that I did in Rondo. Now please do not take that to mean he is going to be as good as Rondo. But I always thought Rondo would be a better player in the pros than he was in college and I say the same thing about Liggins. Along those lines, who would you all say is a better shooter in college - Liggins or Rondo? Personally, I think right now Liggins is shooting it better than Rondo did at UK. But shooting is definitely a weakness for Liggins. The thing Rondo had that is no where to be found in Liggins' game is finishing on penetration - either at the rim, with a pull up floater or a nice assist inside. The only area I have seen any of that from Liggins is in the inside assists. His game is no where near being NBA ready on the offensive end but he is a capable ball handler with an intriguing NBA body. And we all know the NBA will usually draft on size and perceived potential over a more polished less potential player. So I could see a team taking a flyer on Liggins at the end of round two. I think Liggins should declare, go to the camps and then make a decision.

There's not much evidence to back up your claim about him being shaky with the ball. Every guy on the team made poor decisions at times. I think Liggins was one of our best decision makers on penetration type plays.

Evidence? You'd need NBA advanced statistics for that. I'd be interested to see his stats at the rim against top defenses. I don't theink they'd be that good. And I certainly do not think he could do it in the NBA. NBA sscouts obviously agree. As a matter of fact I'll see what my scout buddy has to say, I'll take his eval over just about anyone's.

Evidence? You'd need NBA advanced statistics for that. I'd be interested to see his stats at the rim against top defenses. I don't theink they'd be that good. And I certainly do not think he could do it in the NBA. NBA sscouts obviously agree. As a matter of fact I'll see what my scout buddy has to say, I'll take his eval over just about anyone's.

If you mean me I say he isn't going to be drafted. :D