Christian County 65 Rowan County 63 (2OT)

I told spindoc that Rowan County needed to foul Hickey with about 20 seconds left, to give them a shot at winning the game. Hickey had struggled from the line, and I thought it was the best chance Rowan Co. had at winning.

Agree. He was like 53.2% for the year, I would guess under 50% for the Tourny.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Rowan Co was up 5 and turned the ball over about 3 times in a row it was the deciding factor. They take care of the basketball and run some clock we could have a different story.Rowan Co will have a solid team next year.

I'd like to say how important I thought their big kid Hunter was for them. They play that 2-3 and get out on shooters, don't mind giving up the baseline because he's so good at closing that down at the block on the drive. They funnel everything to him on defense and he will be sorely missed next season. I really enjoyed watching him in the final. I thought he had a great game.

I'd like to say how important I thought their big kid Hunter was for them. They play that 2-3 and get out on shooters, don't mind giving up the baseline because he's so good at closing that down at the block on the drive. They funnel everything to him on defense and he will be sorely missed next season. I really enjoyed watching him in the final. I thought he had a great game.

I agree. He made some big baskets and had to battle foul trouble in the 1st half.

Nope. According to the folks that cover sports on that end of the state, he has been courted in the regional tournament by Nebraska and by TCU. Also some have said that Mississippi State was there at the sweet 16 also, although I have no idea who they were watching.
There were no punches thrown so I'm not sure who they would be watching either

You'd think he'd have an offer from Murray State. Isn't that school right in his backdoor?
I was told that virtually all of the OVC and Sun Belt schools have made offers. It really doesn't matter because he has his sights set on bigger schools. Austin Peay would make sense, too, because of his Clarksville ties.

I heard Boston College mentioned over the weekend ... not sure how much validity there is to that one.

Here is Hickey's stats for the tourney:

The Christian County senior guard finished the four-day run with 90 points, 29 rebounds, 26 steals, 19 assists and four blocked shots.

The play where he blocked DJ Townsend's shot and deflected the loose ball off of Townsend for Christian County ball was one of the finest plays I have seen all year. Especially in the clutch. He is an amazing player.

Originally Posted by panther fan:

Rowan is the team to beat. Size, scorers, shooters and the pg transfer was the final piece to the puzzle.

Originally Posted by realfanreturns:

I think Rowan will suprise some people this year. By the looks of their schedule on the KHSAA site, they tried to upgrade as much as possible. I am surprised that writers of the CATS Pause did not do a better job in their summary. They totally missed the transfer of Townsend to the team. The kid averaged 19.2 points a game as a sophmore last year in the 12th region, you would think that is at least worth mentioning. Their game against Ashland is supposed to be televised on Wazoo sports. I think they expect big things over in Morehead.

These 2 posts were from back in mid-October in the 16th Region pre-season prediction thread. Just wanted to acknowledge what these 2 posters saw back then that next to nobody else saw. Taking nothing away from them, these guys pretty much were just predicting who would win the 16th Region. Just for kicks I searched for how many pre post-season threads were started with Rowan in the thread title. There were 10. In the Clark Co./Rowan Co prediction thread for their regular season game, many predicted Clark by a lot. Clark only won that game by 2. That game right there should have tipped us all off, but no one was paying attention.

Congratulations to Christian Co. for taking home the prize that they've worked so hard for over the last few years, and a big THANK YOU and a pat on the back to Rowan for showing us all how a great team can sneak through the season staying out of the conversation. I certainly didn't see it coming and less than a percent of us did. What appeared to be a pretty predictable Sweet 16 on paper turned into anything but. What looked to be a ho-hum final turned into perhaps one of the most memorable ever, showing us why the Sweet 16 is called the "Greatest Show In Hoops". Gotta Love It :thumb: