Christian County 65 Rowan County 63 (2OT)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that some conclusive evidence comes up so we can see weather the shot was a 2 or 3.

Congrats to both teams for delivering a great finals basketball championshiop for all the fans.

The shooter executed a jump-stop initiated short of the college 3-point line. He came down with both feet before going airborne to take the shot.

IMO, he hit the black line in the instant before going up for the shot.

At any rate, much too close to be described as "clearly" or "indisputably."

Heck of a comeback for Rowan to be even able to close from a two possession defecit with only 16 second remianing in the first OT.

In reality the other official across the floor had a better angle. Had he thought it was a "no doubt three" he could have blown his whistle and told james that he was 100% sure.

The official at the table was trying to tell him it was a three but his ego wouldn't let him huddle up and talk about it with the other officials. He missed the call bottom line and possibly cost a bunch of hard working kids a state title.

One amazing day of basketball in the bluegrass. I was there and what an atomosphere. The place was rocking. Congrats to both clubs, the Vikings of Rowan played their hearts out and lost a tough one. I would say that the play call at the end is about as clutch as I have ever witnessed live. As far as the refs they called a pretty good game, three or no three it may or may not have changed the game. The call that I think hurt Rowan the most was the charging call on Townsend that should have been an and 1. Either way an amazing day of basketball. Congrats to Christian County on the title.

http://www.ihigh.com/khsaa/broadcast_155199.html?silverlight=1

Go to the 2:01:00 mark to see the play. You can see that the official coming up from behind had a tough angle.

There were two replays. No chance anyone can tell anything from the first replay.

The 2nd replay is the replay I'm referring to that IMO is too hard to tell. The left foot is the question.

That was a three...

WOW what a finish. One of the best, if not the best state championship games. This game may have made up for the rest of the tournament (thought it was one of the worst up til today). Anthony Hickey made a great play in finding the open teammate when Rowan converged on him. Anyone know his final stats for the tournament? Going into the final I believe he had 73 pts, 23 steals, 18 rebounds and 12 assists. What a remarkable 4 days for this young man!

That was a three...

It doesn't really matter because of when it happened. Everything that happened after that shot was based on that shot being counted as 2. As others said, would Rowan Co. have shot the 3 pointer that tied it if they were only down 2? How would Christian County have played it on defense if they were up 2 instead of three? Too many other factors after that shot to be saying they would have won if it were counted as a 3. If that was the last shot of the game, it would be worth debating.

I'm very glad I made the decision to go tonight. That was an outstanding game. The call that probably bothers me more than the three-pointer that was called a two is the charge that was called on Rowan's PG. If it was a charge then so be it, but he released the shot before he charged. The basket should've counted.

Here's a video someone posted of it. It's them filming the TV feed. Not ideal, but it will do:

If he's on the line, it's microscopic.

But, as I said earlier and Voice of Reason just reinforced, I believe Rowan County would have gone for the two rather than the three on the subsequent possession.

I'm very glad I made the decision to go tonight. That was an outstanding game. The call that probably bothers me more than the three-pointer that was called a two is the charge that was called on Rowan's PG. If it was a charge then so be it, but he released the shot before he charged. The basket should've counted.

That is a good point. I checked the video again on that play. It was close but I think you are right that the ball was out of his hand before contact was made. But once again, who knows what happens if the basket does count. There was still over 1:30 to go when that happened.

That is a good point. I checked the video again on that play. It was close but I think you are right that the ball was out of his hand before contact was made. But once again, who knows what happens if the basket does count. There was still over 1:30 to go when that happened.

I haven't watched a replay of it but it seems pretty obvious when watching it live. I think that one ended up hurting the Vikings more than the 3-pointer that was ruled 2.

Negative.

High school and college use different rules. In high school the only way that basket can count is if he released the ball prior to contact AND landed prior to contact. Otherwise you cannot count it. By rule.