9th Region Breakdown

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without getting into specifics, I don't think the region is nearly as "wide open" as people think.

33rd district, no team can win the ninth.

34th district, one team can win the ninth.

35th district, one team can win the ninth.

36th district, one team can win the ninth.

Three horse race. One or two others can pull off a big win, but not win the whole shooting match.

Without getting into specifics, I don't think the region is nearly as "wide open" as people think.

Three horse race. One or two others can pull off a big win, but not win the whole shooting match.

This is a very bold and (and using the word properly) ignorant statement. The 9th. is completely wide open. There are a couple of favorites, but there are way more that 3 teams that are capable of winning the region. Matchups and draw will be key. Some teams will fare better against others and one off night by a player or a hot night by another changes the whole dynamic.

My predictions for the regional tourney:

33rd

Champion: Boone Co

Runner Up: Ryle

34th

Champion: Dixie Heights

Runner Up; Lloyd Memorial

35th

Champion: Holmes

Runner Up: Covcath

36th

Champion: Newcath

Runner Up: Depends on the draw

At this point, I'd consider Dixie, Newcath, Holmes, Boone Co, and Covcath as the only teams that have a realistic shot at winning the region.

Dixie has a very versatile group with good guard play (Hatton, Trammel, Cohorn, Hassel) and two solid bigs that can play inside or outside. (Pike, Stansberry)

Newcath has the X-factor in any game with Jake Geisler. Brady Hightchew is a solid guard that is extremely quick and strong going to the rim. The Breds are a legit threat to cut down the nets at NKU for the simple fact that they have the most dominant player in the region.

Holmes provides the most match up problems because they essentially run a 4 guard offense with everyone being extremely quick and athletic. They play a style that wears down the opposition and are fairly solid 1-8. Chris Hayes, Dontel Rice, and Jaleel Gray are all three guys that can put up 25+ on any given night ,which has been shown already. (Hayes season high 29 pts, Rice season high 30 pts, 11 rbs v Ballard, Gray season high 35 pts v Lloyd and 27 v West Jessamine)

Boone County is tough because of their size inside with Brown and Crabtree. McQueary is a big guard that can stroke it from outside. The only downfall I see with them is their lack of depth.

Covcath is very deep and has a solid front court with Thelen, Connelly, and Baker but their guard play has been inconsistent. Covcath is at their best when they're pounding the ball inside and attacking the rim. When they play under control, they are very tough to beat, hence their win over Henry Clay. The one benefit Covcath has going in is that they wouldn't have to worry about facing Holmes until the finals. (If both teams are lucky enough to make it that far.)

Unlike years past, there isn't a "weak" district champ so nobody will have a easy path to the finals. Best case scenario, you win the district and draw the runner up of the 34th or 36th.

I like your post but I wouldnt count out Highlands in their District. When Stewart returns they will be a legitimate sleeper and have the ability to beat NCC. Geisler is clearly the best big man in the REgion and they are capable of defeating Highlands with Stewart. With that said, I would just be careful about crossing Highlands out of having any chance. They are definitely one of those teams that I wouldnt want to play in the Region if they make it that far. That could be the time of the year when they start peaking, especially when Stewart returns and they get the last 8-10 games under their belts heading into the District.

The chances that Highlands draws on the same side as NCC two years in a row are not as good as them drawing opposite so hopefully they get a shot to play each other in the finals and not in the first round.

I like your post but I wouldnt count out Highlands in their District. When Stewart returns they will be a legitimate sleeper and have the ability to beat NCC. Geisler is clearly the best big man in the REgion and they are capable of defeating Highlands with Stewart. With that said, I would just be careful about crossing Highlands out of having any chance. They are definitely one of those teams that I wouldnt want to play in the Region if they make it that far. That could be the time of the year when they start peaking, especially when Stewart returns and they get the last 8-10 games under their belts heading into the District.

The chances that Highlands draws on the same side as NCC two years in a row are not as good as them drawing opposite so hopefully they get a shot to play each other in the finals and not in the first round.

Looking at the last 13 seasons, going back to 97/98, Highlands and NewCath have picked opposite sides 10 times with the seasons: 98/99, 07/08, & 09/10 being the 3 years they picked on the same side. In those 10 seasons Newport picked NewCath's side 7 times. In 98/99 & 07/08 Bellevue sneaked into the Regional and then in 09/10 Newport 'snuck' in :D with the 09/10 season being the only season in the last 13 that NewCath, Highlands & Newport picked on the same side.

I agree. Regardless of the sport, a team underestimates the Bluebirds at their own peril. Highlands can always be counted on for a scrapy, hard nosed, competitive match-up.

This is a very bold and (and using the word properly) ignorant statement. The 9th. is completely wide open. There are a couple of favorites, but there are way more that 3 teams that are capable of winning the region. Matchups and draw will be key. Some teams will fare better against others and one off night by a player or a hot night by another changes the whole dynamic.

You beat me to it Manny...as wide open as the region appears to be right now, I would even go further and say that you will see one of the favorites in the region matchup with a sleeper in the final and one bad night or one good night and that sleeper could go on to the Sweet 16 :thumb:

If you don't think Both CovCath and Holmes have a shot at the Region title then you have not been watching much basketball. Same can be said for the 33rd. I would say its wide open.

There is still a lot of ball left (and injuries/return from injury) to state anything definitive. I would tend to agree that this region is very undefined at this point. Clearly, NCC, Dixie, CovCath & Holmes can beat anyone in the region but.....you have to win more than one! Match-ups are huge. Geisler is the mismatch for anyone (considering how he fared against Thelan/CovCath) but Dixie has the most well-rounded team. I believe Holmes style could knock anyone from the region on a given night and if Covcath gets a consistent outside shooting game, they could roll through.

Darkhorses, I like Conner (hard to believe you can say that about preseason #1 but they have good size to match the favorites) Holy Cross (solid group that seems to be progressing nicely,we'll see how far with the All-A) Highlands (scrappy play/D could be a problem for some; they learned to play w/out Stewart, if he is productive in return he negates the "bigs" advantage over them)

Oh, and by the way......thank goodness for all that Scott isn't in the 9th or it would be really interesting!

Check back in two weeks, much can change....let's just hope its not to injury. Good Luck to all, can't wait !

My darkhorses would be Cooper and Lloyd. Lloyd will most likely make it to the regional tourney being in the 34th and with Cheatum?(sp) playing well and guards hitting outside shots, they can be very dangerous. Cooper is well coached and seem to be peaking at the right time; they gave CovCath a big scare at CovCath and just beat Ryle. The obvious top 4 or 5 teams are tough, but come tournament time it's like a whole different season.

The favorite IMO is NCC.

It really is too close to call with the top 5. If I had to pick a favorite it would be NCC.

I really like NCC but considering Boone just beat the Breds without Montgomery, I wouldn't consider them the favorite.

At this point Boone and Dixie are the only two undefeated teams in the region. (Granted neither have played Covcath or Holmes or eachother)

There is still a lot of ball left (and injuries/return from injury) to state anything definitive. I would tend to agree that this region is very undefined at this point. Clearly, NCC, Dixie, CovCath & Holmes can beat anyone in the region but.....you have to win more than one! Match-ups are huge. Geisler is the mismatch for anyone (considering how he fared against Thelan/CovCath) but Dixie has the most well-rounded team. I believe Holmes style could knock anyone from the region on a given night and if Covcath gets a consistent outside shooting game, they could roll through.

Darkhorses, I like Conner (hard to believe you can say that about preseason #1 but they have good size to match the favorites) Holy Cross (solid group that seems to be progressing nicely,we'll see how far with the All-A) Highlands (scrappy play/D could be a problem for some; they learned to play w/out Stewart, if he is productive in return he negates the "bigs" advantage over them)

Oh, and by the way......thank goodness for all that Scott isn't in the 9th or it would be really interesting!

Check back in two weeks, much can change....let's just hope its not to injury. Good Luck to all, can't wait !

Do you consider Geisler to be a mismatch for everyone in the ninth? I know there are some teams that have not been able to stop him, but IMO there are some that balance out with him as well and force others from the NCC team to be the difference makers.

Do you consider Geisler to be a mismatch for everyone in the ninth? I know there are some teams that have not been able to stop him, but IMO there are some that balance out with him as well and force others from the NCC team to be the difference makers.

I agree.