9th Region Breakdown

9th Region Breakdown:

Quick thoughts about teams from frontrunners to possible dark horses. Of course the top 5 has to be considered as the safer bet, but the 9th is very competitive this year, and anything can happen.

What are your thoughts?

These are mine:

Dixie - Undefeated in the 9th with 1 loss overall. Until someone from the 9th beats them they have to be considered the frontrunners.

NewCath - Signature wins over Holmes & CovCath, and the winning of the Lloyd over Fern Creek. Not a deep bench, but a feisty smart bunch of starters with Geisler leading the way.

Holmes - Booher Ball has shaped this little varsity experienced, quick and talented bunch into a team with serious game. Lots of contributers. You don't bring your AAA game you go home with an 'L'

Boone County - Has proven themselves as 'for real' even with the loss of Montgomery's services. As good a chance as the top 3 as shown with a win over NewCath.

CovCath - All the elements are in place from 3 legit Bigs, quick guard that's a decent shooter, a 3 point threat and a deep bench. Road tested, but still needs a signature win over one of the top 4. If they stay consistently hot in the post season, they own a valid part of the discussion.

Holy Cross - This year's team can put up some points. They beat Ryle and stayed in the game with Holmes. Shaping into a team that can play with anybody and nobody better lapse while playing them. Could surprise in the post season. Hot 3 point shooting nights are their best friend. Keep that consistent and they have a valid chance

Ryle - Up and down a bit but no slouch. Not sure if Vollet is presently in the mix, but he's key if Ryle stands a chance. They have a way of taking teams out of their game. They have the right elements to play spoiler.

Highlands - Still looking for a 'W' that matters. No slouch and kept things interesting with CovCath. You put Stewart back into the mix and they instantly become valid in the discussion. Kind of feel they're saving him for post season. The question is will he find his groove after sitting out?

Conner - Coming around a bit and could shake things up in an attempt to make up for a slow start. They were pre-season Number 1 for a reason. If they start to fill the shoes of what was expected of them they have a chance of being the comeback kings.

Lloyd - Win over Conner in the Lloyd Invitational put them on the map. Kept is close with Holy Cross, and kept things interesting with Holmes. Confidence is growing and could play spoiler in the post season.

Cooper - Showing a lot of guts in giving teams a scare, and a big signature win over Ryle. Nothing to lose and everything to prove. They bring the heart of a team that wants to show they're no walk over. No team now can overlook them.

Newport - Slim chance but still can play a respectable game of ball. Large odds against them of making any real noise, but not to be overlooked come post season.

St. Henry - Big Big mountain to climb, but well coached. Could be saving themselves for a late season shocker. Not likely, but Faust is probably working overtime to figure a way to fine tune these guys and save a little bit of face before season's end.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Henry, Newport, Cooper and Highlands from your list have no chance to win the region. Lloyd, Conner, Holy Cross & Ryle would have to have a ton of luck and good fortune to go all the way. CovCath, Boone & Holmes have a shot...but will need a favorable draw. You have the top two correct. Dixie and NewCath are the favorites.

9th Region Breakdown:

Quick thoughts about teams from frontrunners to possible dark horses. Of course the top 5 has to be considered as the safer bet, but the 9th is very competitive this year, and anything can happen.

What are your thoughts?

These are mine:

Dixie - Undefeated in the 9th with 1 loss overall. Until someone from the 9th beats them they have to be considered the frontrunners.

Dixie is a talented bunch, I will give you that. With all due respect to their record thus far, they beat NewCath by 13 at home. It was NewCath's first game of the season less than a week removed from their state football title. The Red Colonels have yet to play three of the other top 5 in the region (Holmes, Boone Co, CovCath). Before we anoint Dixie or anyone the favorite in this race to win the 9th region, we need to let some more games play out. If Dixie wins two of those three games, I would make them my favorites to win.

Dixie is a talented bunch, I will give you that. With all due respect to their record thus far, they beat NewCath by 13 at home. It was NewCath's first game of the season less than a week removed from their state football title. The Red Colonels have yet to play three of the other top 5 in the region (Holmes, Boone Co, CovCath). Before we anoint Dixie or anyone the favorite in this race to win the 9th region, we need to let some more games play out. If Dixie wins two of those three games, I would make them my favorites to win.

I agree. How they do in the Toyota Classic and how they round out their remaining regular season schedule should tell us a lot about them. They still have to play Lloyd, Holmes, Holy Cross, Ryle, CovCath, Cooper and Boone in that order. They've got their work cut out for them to stay unbeaten in the 9th.

Ryle - Up and down a bit but no slouch. Not sure if Vollet is presently in the mix, but he's key if Ryle stands a chance. They have a way of taking teams out of their game. They have the right elements to play spoiler.

Vollet played almost the entire game last night vs Cooper

Vollet played almost the entire game last night vs Cooper

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard anything about him since he rolled his ankle against Holmes in the Lloyd Invitational. Thought that with him going down, Ryle suffered without him sharing the inside presence. Glad to hear that he's playing again.

Boone County - Has proven themselves as 'for real' even with the loss of Montgomery's services. As good a chance as the top 3 as shown with a win over NewCath.

Just a side note; Boone County is also undefeated in the 9th Region, as is Dixie.

I agree in theory, but I wonder who thought this same thing about Newport last year before they cut down the nets at NKU?

I would say Newport would have been in the middle pack a year ago. But anytime you have one of the best players in the region you have a chance. Especially when you have a good supporting cast. I don't think St. Henry, Cooper, Highlands or Newport have anyone close to being the best player in the region this season. In fact last years Newport team even without Foster could probably beat those four teams this season.

I agree in theory, but I wonder who thought this same thing about Newport last year before they cut down the nets at NKU?

Transfer Foster made all the difference in the world last year for Newport. They had some decent players, but he pushed Newport over the top last year.

With Newport's 15 point win over St. Henry in the All 'A', I'd like to completely drop the 'Cru from being anywhere near the discussion. I knew that it was a stretch to initially include them in my list, but this loss pretty much seals it. They don't even belong at the bottom of the list. Stick a fork in them... THEY'RE DONE.

My predictions for the regional tourney:

33rd

Champion: Boone Co

Runner Up: Ryle

34th

Champion: Dixie Heights

Runner Up; Lloyd Memorial

35th

Champion: Holmes

Runner Up: Covcath

36th

Champion: Newcath

Runner Up: Depends on the draw

At this point, I'd consider Dixie, Newcath, Holmes, Boone Co, and Covcath as the only teams that have a realistic shot at winning the region.

Dixie has a very versatile group with good guard play (Hatton, Trammel, Cohorn, Hassel) and two solid bigs that can play inside or outside. (Pike, Stansberry)

Newcath has the X-factor in any game with Jake Geisler. Brady Hightchew is a solid guard that is extremely quick and strong going to the rim. The Breds are a legit threat to cut down the nets at NKU for the simple fact that they have the most dominant player in the region.

Holmes provides the most match up problems because they essentially run a 4 guard offense with everyone being extremely quick and athletic. They play a style that wears down the opposition and are fairly solid 1-8. Chris Hayes, Dontel Rice, and Jaleel Gray are all three guys that can put up 25+ on any given night ,which has been shown already. (Hayes season high 29 pts, Rice season high 30 pts, 11 rbs v Ballard, Gray season high 35 pts v Lloyd and 27 v West Jessamine)

Boone County is tough because of their size inside with Brown and Crabtree. McQueary is a big guard that can stroke it from outside. The only downfall I see with them is their lack of depth.

Covcath is very deep and has a solid front court with Thelen, Connelly, and Baker but their guard play has been inconsistent. Covcath is at their best when they're pounding the ball inside and attacking the rim. When they play under control, they are very tough to beat, hence their win over Henry Clay. The one benefit Covcath has going in is that they wouldn't have to worry about facing Holmes until the finals. (If both teams are lucky enough to make it that far.)

Unlike years past, there isn't a "weak" district champ so nobody will have a easy path to the finals. Best case scenario, you win the district and draw the runner up of the 34th or 36th.