Holmes 88 St Henry 44

Booher is just dealing with the hand he was dealt and its typically a hand with tons of athletes over at Holmes. He knows what he is doing and pressuring teams all over the court will cause disruption but there are a lot of well coached teams who know who to break a press and Booher better develop his bench so he has depth once tourney time comes. Using 5-7 players to press all over the court all year long can wear on teams.

From my unknowledgeable initial observation it appears that right out of the gate Booher has well conditioned his guys to build the stamina to withstand the drain that his fast paced style can have on his players. They look to be an already well oiled machine, and his past experience has taught him what it takes to execute at such a pace and sustain it. I think that his guys are ready for it and my guess is that now that he's created this level with them it just becomes second nature to them and they will likely just become stronger as the season progresses. They already look to be believers in his system and winning will only reinforce this with his players. If you were referring to the wear that it could have on other teams that the Bulldogs face then if they can't stand the heat they need to get out of the kitchen.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my unknowledgeable initial observation it appears that right out of the gate Booher has well conditioned his guys to build the stamina to withstand the drain that his fast paced style can have on his players. They look to be an already well oiled machine, and his past experience has taught him what it takes to execute at such a pace and sustain it. I think that his guys are ready for it and my guess is that now that he's created this level with them it just becomes second nature to them and they will likely just become stronger as the season progresses. They already look to be believers in his system and winning will only reinforce this with his players. If you were referring to the wear that it could have on other teams that the Bulldogs face then if they can't stand the heat they need to get out of the kitchen.

I think what he is doing is something Holmes deviated away from over the past 10 yrs but hard to say it was a bad move since they brought home a state championship. If they are well conditioned then they will be very scary and if they stay disciplined even more scary. I think they will be in the hunt for the Region title. The only thing they really lack is a true Big and Knox is trying to fill that slot. It will be interesting to see how they fare against the Boone's, Dixie's and Conner's.

Where is NKUfan88 on this thread? I said Holmes would run away with this game and he doubted me???. I'm sold on Holmes, people question their size, but they leap so well it makes us for what they lack for height on paper. I've seen Boone and Holmes is better. I've got them at 2 or 3 right now. Dixie has me believing too!

1. This is the fastest Holmes team I've seen in the past 15yrs

2. Hayes is a legit top 3 player in the region. Maybe #1.

3. Holmes pressing up 40 in the first half was a bit rediculous.

1. This Holmes team is indeed very fast and athletic. There was an NKU guy and some AAU coach there last night and I overheard them in the hallway during the JV game talking about how fast the JV team was. They were amazed at how athletic, quick, and fast they were. The AAU coach said he'd hate to see what the varsity looks like if the JV is that quick. They definetly didn't disappoint last night.

2. I've been saying all summer long that Hayes is legit and I felt it was a slap in the face to him that he wasn't even included in a few top 10 lists. I said it after the Scott Co game and I'll say it again...Hayes is the best all around guard in the region this year.

3. To be fair, Holmes style is to press. It's not like they were pressing with starters out there. Booher subbed freely throughout the first two quarters and with six minutes to go in the second quarter, every Holmes starter was on the bench and the JV team was out there finishing up the half. Same goes with the second half. Starters played the first two minutes of the third quarter, went on an 11-0 run, then the starters were out. Gray was the last one to come out and that was at the 4:30 mark of the third quarter. JV team played against a few St. Henry starters until the 6:00 mark of the fourth quarter and then the final 5 players were put in the game with an 84-29 lead. Biggest reason St. Henry even reached 40 was because Holmes quit shooting the last 6 minutes and just ran time off the clock. This caused a lot of turnovers and St. Henry finished on a 15-4 run.

Trush me, Booher isn't running up the score on anyone. Holmes could've easily reached 100 in this one by simply leaving their JV team out there with a 84-29 lead. Holmes is going to press regardless of the score...get used to it.

Pressing up 40 points is a little over the top, but you have to use games early in the season to work on things. This is particularly true with a new coach.

Come to think of it, being down 40 in the 1st half is ridiculous. :lol:

At some point you gotta show some sportsmanship and it probably should have been when they went up by 30 in the first half. Booher is not making many fans if hes pulling that crap and hes going to get a kid hurt possibly also. I dont care who you are if a team is pressing you up forty thats when you start getting ticked and may let the elbows fly. jmo

Booher wasn't running up the score by any means. Starters only played about 12 minutes of the game. St. Henry was simply that over-matched by Holmes as a TEAM. Peterson, Palmer, and Lewis are pretty darn good off the bench so that's why they were able to continue to score at the rate they did once the starters came out. This could've been much worse.

Booher is just dealing with the hand he was dealt and its typically a hand with tons of athletes over at Holmes. He knows what he is doing and pressuring teams all over the court will cause disruption but there are a lot of well coached teams who know who to break a press and Booher better develop his bench so he has depth once tourney time comes. Using 5-7 players to press all over the court all year long can wear on teams.

In Booher's system, the 8 that he uses is plenty enough. All of those guys are in great condition and have a lot of energy.

As I said in an earlier post, if Holmes comes out and beats a solid Aiken squad Sat, I'll be more impressed.

I think what he is doing is something Holmes deviated away from over the past 10 yrs but hard to say it was a bad move since they brought home a state championship. If they are well conditioned then they will be very scary and if they stay disciplined even more scary. I think they will be in the hunt for the Region title. The only thing they really lack is a true Big and Knox is trying to fill that slot. It will be interesting to see how they fare against the Boone's, Dixie's and Conner's.

It's hard to argue with the fact that the 2009 Bulldogs brought home the big prize in defending Booher's style, and nothing against Henley because he seems like a great guy, but I'll go out on a limb and say that if Booher had been Holmes' coach over the last 10 years his teams would've annihilated their opposition far more decidedly than Henley's did and perhaps would've won the State a few more times. With the talent that Holmes has had over the years I always felt that the style that Henley enforced on them only cramped the style of play his players were capable of. In 2009 the Bulldogs were just a hair away from missing the big dance by just squeaking past Boone Co in the 9th Region finals in a ridiculous low scoring affair, and then they had to win the Sweet 16 in dramatic double overtime fashion. Exciting for sure, but I think they had the talent to dominate far more than they did without the fans going into cardiac arrest before they got it done. Taking nothing away from other 9th Region formidable contenders that the Bulldogs faced in the recent past just to get to the Sweet 16, I don't think that with Booher's style we would've seen such close calls and rivalries with the CovCath's and Boone County's of the the Region. There's full game archives online of the 2010 Sweet 16. http://khsaa.ezstream.com/ Click on 'Archives' towards the top of the screen and then zero in on the dates of the 2010 Sweet 16. Check out Shelby Valley's run through the tournament and just see how breathtaking and intense they played to get it done. It's pretty fantastic. Mind you, in any close games they played, their opponents were also dynamic fast paced teams and that's the style that you really need to make some noise at Rupp in March.

Where is NKUfan88 on this thread? I said Holmes would run away with this game and he doubted me???. I'm sold on Holmes, people question their size, but they leap so well it makes us for what they lack for height on paper. I've seen Boone and Holmes is better. I've got them at 2 or 3 right now. Dixie has me believing too!

"I've seen Boone and Holmes is better."

Walter is this a fact because I have yet to see Holmes.

Boone has yet to play a complete game where everyone is firing on all cylinders. I know Holmes will compete with just about everyone, but I wouldn't jump the gun and put Holmes ahead of any of the top 3 teams just yet.

Always. Like Highlands in football. They are always good. Frequently great, but always good.

Someone here said it best "get used to Holmes pressing". absolutely nothing wrong with that. I personally have no problem with a team pressing for the entire half. If that is the style I am going to employ for this season (particularly if I am giving away size most games), then I better get my kids versed in what it takes to run/press. You shouldn't have to apoligize for playing hard for an entire half....if you get later in the game I agree it's too much, but games aren't over at the half !

Booher will do fine at Holmes and I like that he will push teams in this region with his style........get used to it !

"I've seen Boone and Holmes is better."

Walter is this a fact because I have yet to see Holmes.

Boone has yet to play a complete game where everyone is firing on all cylinders. I know Holmes will compete with just about everyone, but I wouldn't jump the gun and put Holmes ahead of any of the top 3 teams just yet.

I haven't seen Boone so I can't really comment, but Holmes press is very effective. They don't have as much size as Boone, but I'd be willing to bet they're quicker and more athletic.

The top 3 teams have a size advantage over Holmes, but as stated earlier in this thread, their athleticism and ability to absolutely jump out of the gym makes up for that. Dontel Rice, Chris Hayes, and Jaleel Gray can and will rebound with anyone in the region, regardless of height. Dontel Rice is a much more athletic version of former Holmes star Greg Rice.

I'm with you and wouldn't jump the gun and put Holmes ahead of any of the top 3, but I think all three will have their hands full with Holmes. Teams will struggle with their speed. They constantly move offensively which makes them tough to defend and defensively they're very active. They have a lot of deflections and steals.

As stated earlier in the thread, we'll know a lot more about Holmes tomorrow night after they play Aiken.

At some point you gotta show some sportsmanship and it probably should have been when they went up by 30 in the first half. Booher is not making many fans if hes pulling that crap and hes going to get a kid hurt possibly also. I dont care who you are if a team is pressing you up forty thats when you start getting ticked and may let the elbows fly. jmo

Why is it ok to go all out in the 1st half of a football game but not a bball game?

I dont question Holmes and you would be hard presses to find a bigger supporter of the Holmes program than me...I predicted Holmes by 15 which would have been a solid win imo, I am a bit surprised to see such a big spread as I believe most would be...All I simply stated was NKY games are usually pretty competitive, I never said I doubted Holmes, get your facts straight...I'll be one to not pick against the Dogs all year, I never have and never will pick against Holmes they are always capable of knocking off anyone...I would say I've probably been to more Holmes games the past 6 or so years than anyone on here not named Walter:thumb:

Why is it ok to go all out in the 1st half of a football game but not a bball game?

I guess when your pressing and scoring at will and your up 40 and you have the ability to pull your kids back to halfcourt defense that is different than a football game.

I guess when your pressing and scoring at will and your up 40 and you have the ability to pull your kids back to halfcourt defense that is different than a football game.

I was not bashing, just wondering. I am not a huge bball fan so I wasn't sure if it had different standards than football in high school.