Holmes 88 St Henry 44

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when your pressing and scoring at will and your up 40 and you have the ability to pull your kids back to halfcourt defense that is different than a football game.

How would that be fair to the younger guys though? As I stated earlier, the Holmes starters only played about 12 of the 32 minutes of this game. The younger guys obviously need some work, hence the 15-4 run that St. Henry finished the game on against them with guys like Meiman still in the game. For him to develop more depth, he must have the younger guys working on the same things as the starters.

Holmes presses at every level...even the elementary feeder schools. Booher has stated that his ENTIRE program will run the same offense and defense. By him asking his kids to quit pressing, he is setting them up for failure because it's points in transition and turnovers that fuel this potent offense.

Booher's team will press from start to finish so get ready and get used to it..

I was at the game the other night and you guys can forget about any intention by Mr. Booher to run the score up. The Holmes team came out and shocked the you know what out of St. Henry. The second half he pulled the Dogs off and worked on his half court trap defense. It was a bad night for the Cru and a very good night for the Dogs. Don't overlook this Holmes team as they are extremely quick and they can do this to a lot of teams on any given night. It has been quite a few years since I have seen a team this quick in the 9th and they can put up points very quickly. Should make for a very interesting 9th region year.

I was at the game the other night and you guys can forget about any intention by Mr. Booher to run the score up. The Holmes team came out and shocked the you know what out of St. Henry. The second half he pulled the Dogs off and worked on his half court trap defense. It was a bad night for the Cru and a very good night for the Dogs. Don't overlook this Holmes team as they are extremely quick and they can do this to a lot of teams on any given night. It has been quite a few years since I have seen a team this quick in the 9th and they can put up points very quickly. Should make for a very interesting 9th region year.

To say the least.....Holmes went on an 11-0 run in the first 1:39 of the third quarter.

How would that be fair to the younger guys though? As I stated earlier, the Holmes starters only played about 12 of the 32 minutes of this game. The younger guys obviously need some work, hence the 15-4 run that St. Henry finished the game on against them with guys like Meiman still in the game. For him to develop more depth, he must have the younger guys working on the same things as the starters.

Holmes presses at every level...even the elementary feeder schools. Booher has stated that his ENTIRE program will run the same offense and defense. By him asking his kids to quit pressing, he is setting them up for failure because it's points in transition and turnovers that fuel this potent offense.

Booher's team will press from start to finish so get ready and get used to it..

I see your point now.

It's hard to argue with the fact that the 2009 Bulldogs brought home the big prize in defending Booher's style, and nothing against Henley because he seems like a great guy, but I'll go out on a limb and say that if Booher had been Holmes' coach over the last 10 years his teams would've annihilated their opposition far more decidedly than Henley's did and perhaps would've won the State a few more times. With the talent that Holmes has had over the years I always felt that the style that Henley enforced on them only cramped the style of play his players were capable of. In 2009 the Bulldogs were just a hair away from missing the big dance by just squeaking past Boone Co in the 9th Region finals in a ridiculous low scoring affair, and then they had to win the Sweet 16 in dramatic double overtime fashion. Exciting for sure, but I think they had the talent to dominate far more than they did without the fans going into cardiac arrest before they got it done. Taking nothing away from other 9th Region formidable contenders that the Bulldogs faced in the recent past just to get to the Sweet 16, I don't think that with Booher's style we would've seen such close calls and rivalries with the CovCath's and Boone County's of the the Region. There's full game archives online of the 2010 Sweet 16. http://khsaa.ezstream.com/ Click on 'Archives' towards the top of the screen and then zero in on the dates of the 2010 Sweet 16. Check out Shelby Valley's run through the tournament and just see how breathtaking and intense they played to get it done. It's pretty fantastic. Mind you, in any close games they played, their opponents were also dynamic fast paced teams and that's the style that you really need to make some noise at Rupp in March.

Basically what I have been saying for the last 3 years. I would have loved to see the team play end to end the last 2 years. They would have been dominate.

Basically what I have been saying for the last 3 years. I would have loved to see the team play end to end the last 2 years. They would have been dominate.

Probably wouldnt have worked with the personel though. All great players but the Johnson's, Pittman and Rice didnt seem like the type of players that would lay it all on the line baseline to baseline. Maybe the Johnson Bros would have but Pittman and Rice I just cant see it. The kids they have this season, nobody but Hayes is a bonafide proven player so they all are buying in as worker bees and it is working. Hayes developed his game this past summer but stood in the shadows the past two seasons, he is showing that he is the real deal. Rice has potential as well but like I said, they seem to be playing more as a team and group of worker bees.

Probably wouldnt have worked with the personel though. All great players but the Johnson's, Pittman and Rice didnt seem like the type of players that would lay it all on the line baseline to baseline. Maybe the Johnson Bros would have but Pittman and Rice I just cant see it. The kids they have this season, nobody but Hayes is a bonafide proven player so they all are buying in as worker bees and it is working. Hayes developed his game this past summer but stood in the shadows the past two seasons, he is showing that he is the real deal. Rice has potential as well but like I said, they seem to be playing more as a team and group of worker bees.

Completely disagree. They were athletes and bball players. They would have thrived. It just wasn't Henley's style.

Completely disagree. They were athletes and bball players. They would have thrived. It just wasn't Henley's style.

Athletes they were for sure and it would have been scary to see all of those long arms flying around. You are probably right but "buy in" is important also and that is something we will never know. I do agree Henley got it done despite which is a testament to him.

Holmes didn't press last year because they simply didn't have the depth. The Johnson Brothers and Pittman were all great talents and athletes but are no where near as quick as this years' team, which is why Henley didn't press. He couldn't afford havng those guys get in foul trouble. I think Holmes could've applied a lot more pressure defensively than they did last year, but in the end, he simply didn't have the personnel to press for a full 32 minutes.

People also seem to forget that in 08' Holmes was a pressing team. They had great depth with Avery, Henderson, Nelson, Clark, Pittman, D. Johnson, Riley, K. Rice, Humphrey, and Hall. They basically had two first teams and that was why they blew everyone out of the gym that year.

Beginning of the year in 09, Holmes pressed Bryan Station the entire game and got blown out of the gym so Henley went away from the press for the last two years. When he simply played half court defense against Bryan Station, his team won by 18. People question him a lot because of the athletes he had, but Dave knew what he was doing and he adjusted accordingly to his personnel.

Holmes didn't press last year because they simply didn't have the depth. The Johnson Brothers and Pittman were all great talents and athletes but are no where near as quick as this years' team, which is why Henley didn't press. He couldn't afford havng those guys get in foul trouble. I think Holmes could've applied a lot more pressure defensively than they did last year, but in the end, he simply didn't have the personnel to press for a full 32 minutes.

People also seem to forget that in 08' Holmes was a pressing team. They had great depth with Avery, Henderson, Nelson, Clark, Pittman, D. Johnson, Riley, K. Rice, Humphrey, and Hall. They basically had two first teams and that was why they blew everyone out of the gym that year.

Beginning of the year in 09, Holmes pressed Bryan Station the entire game and got blown out of the gym so Henley went away from the press for the last two years. When he simply played half court defense against Bryan Station, his team won by 18. People question him a lot because of the athletes he had, but Dave knew what he was doing and he adjusted accordingly to his personnel.

I remember that Bryan Station game, seems to make sense. Henley is definitely a Top 5 coach in the state.

All good points. I think that your explanation is making me rethink what I was originally saying.

Both Booher and Henley's philosophies can be successful with the right personnel.

Booher, this year, has a group of quick, athletic kids that are all hard workers. Every kid plays with a lot of energy and that's why you're seeing the results early on.

Holmes will be able to prove themselves against the 9th region competition.

They also have a game coming up in a week against Louisville Moore, who is in the 11-16 range of state ranking depending on which poll you look at. If Holmes can beat them, I'll start believing even more that they're a legit threat to win region and are a top 20 team in the state.

I dont question Holmes and you would be hard presses to find a bigger supporter of the Holmes program than me...I predicted Holmes by 15 which would have been a solid win imo, I am a bit surprised to see such a big spread as I believe most would be...All I simply stated was NKY games are usually pretty competitive, I never said I doubted Holmes, get your facts straight...I'll be one to not pick against the Dogs all year, I never have and never will pick against Holmes they are always capable of knocking off anyone...I would say I've probably been to more Holmes games the past 6 or so years than anyone on here not named Walter:thumb:

I've got my facts straight, you said they would win by 15, I said they would run away with the game which they did, no surprise to me. I had the advantage of seeing both teams play prior to this match up. I'm not saying you are doubting Holmes, but I knew they were way too much for the Cru. Most games in NKY that feature 2 solid programs are not blowouts as you noted, but I figured this would be one. You are going to have a fun time this year since you are a fan of Holmes. They are for real and dropping to division 2 in the NKAC could lead to a few more blowouts than what you are used to seeing. Good luck to the dogs and enjoy the ride this year! You just might have to fill the tank for the ride south to the big house at the end of the season!

Holmes opened the season in '09 with a 14 point loss to Bryan Station in their first game of the year. They were playing in Lexington in the season opener. The rematch against BS was at home. Quite possibly having a few games under their belt and playing at home were as important factors in the different results.

I am not a Henley basher, just an observation. I saw Holmes three times last year against inferior talent be taken late into the 4th quarter before squeeking out wins. They were built for up tempo basketball. A team with D1 talent like they had need not be surviving last second game winning shot attempts against Campbell County. JMO.