Holmes 88 St Henry 44

Holmes opened the season in '09 with a 14 point loss to Bryan Station in their first game of the year. They were playing in Lexington in the season opener. The rematch against BS was at home. Quite possibly having a few games under their belt and playing at home were as important factors in the different results.

I am not a Henley basher, just an observation. I saw Holmes three times last year against inferior talent be taken late into the 4th quarter before squeeking out wins. They were built for up tempo basketball. A team with D1 talent like they had need not be surviving last second game winning shot attempts against Campbell County. JMO.

These are good points as well. Sorry to keep jumping back and forth with my thinking. My gut is telling me that their tempo could have been much faster than it was last year. I really think that Henley's system bored the heck out of them because they really wanted to let loose. Then, because they were bored at the slower tempo it gave them a license to get lazy and stand around too much because even if Henley had given them offensive sets to execute, they didn't bother because they had rather just play it their own way and speed things up, but weren't allowed to, so they lapsed. They seemed to only play just enough to win games and too often kept letting teams back in the game. Sometimes I had serious doubts about their understanding of good shot selection and wondered why the heck Pittman jacked up so many ill-advised 3's all at the wrong times when he no-doubt belonged in the paint. I too still think they had the talent that with a faster tempo could have really put teams away more commandingly. Also, they didn't really look that hungry last season perhaps because they had already won the State in 2009. I think that this year's tempo is exactly what the kids want and Booher is an excellent fit. He gives them an extra boost of smart teaching building their B-Ball IQ to go along with their athleticism. They don't look the least bit bored. They look like they have nothing to lose and everything to gain, and that they're having the time of their lives. I do think that last year's team would've been able to adapt to Booher's system and probably would've ultimately enjoyed it much more.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holmes opened the season in '09 with a 14 point loss to Bryan Station in their first game of the year. They were playing in Lexington in the season opener. The rematch against BS was at home. Quite possibly having a few games under their belt and playing at home were as important factors in the different results.

I am not a Henley basher, just an observation. I saw Holmes three times last year against inferior talent be taken late into the 4th quarter before squeeking out wins. They were built for up tempo basketball. A team with D1 talent like they had need not be surviving last second game winning shot attempts against Campbell County. JMO.

Holmes lost to Bryan Station at Tates Creek...beat Bryan Station AT Bryan Station.

Again, Holmes didn't have the depth to press an entire 32minutes last year. You can have a starting lineup full of D1 talent but if they are sitting on the bench half the game due to getting lazy on defense because they're so tired from no depth, what good are they. Holmes size and athleticism was their strength last year...in the half court defense.

This year Holmes has a lot of athletes and depth so they're able to press the whole game. This team is very different from last years' team...trust me. Last years' team has more individual talent but this years' team works better as a unit and is much quicker, which you need to press. Last years' team really wasn't as quick as some think. They were simply bigger, stronger, and more athletic than a lot of the opposition. Just because you have D1 talent, doesn't mean you're built to run and press and get up and down the floor. Holmes wasn't built to press last year.. I've seen them more than anyone else on this site, save for a few Holmes' posters on here that rarely post.