Should Publics Forfeit Against Private Schools?

cshs81

That would be two good football threads. Which team had the most players go on to the next level and play football? Which team had the most players go on to professional football at some level?

I think Male would be the winner in that one. Chris Redman, Tony Driver, Rashaad Holman. Those are just off the top of my head, could be more and I believe thier will be more( i.e. Bush).

BTW I do believe it is a common misconception that The privates (in 4A at least) get great atheletes. Yes there is a Brohm here and a Vic Anderson there, but overall the strength of those teams is in depth and execution more than ability. Even the better 4A teams like Male and Manual have holes in thier line ups and often times require them to play some players both ways.

I played varsity on the offensive line for three years at Manual and not once did I think the toughest opponet I faced was on St X's team (we didn't play Trinity at that time).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IBTW I do believe it is a common misconception that The privates (in 4A at least) get great atheletes. Yes there is a Brohm here and a Vic Anderson there, but overall the strength of those teams is in depth and execution more than ability.

I played varsity on the offensive line for three years at Manual and not once did I think the toughest opponet I faced was on St X's team (we didn't play Trinity at that time).

But that can"t be true RRR!! A majority of public school administrators have stated it isn't true and that is all that means anything!! :rolleyes:

I think Male would be the winner in that one. Chris Redman, Tony Driver, Rashaad Holman. Those are just off the top of my head, could be more and I believe thier will be more( i.e. Bush).

BTW I do believe it is a common misconception that The privates (in 4A at least) get great atheletes. Yes there is a Brohm here and a Vic Anderson there, but overall the strength of those teams is in depth and execution more than ability. Even the better 4A teams like Male and Manual have holes in thier line ups and often times require them to play some players both ways.

I admittingly don't know a lot about HS football but I could see the bold as being true.

There are not many private school players on the all-state teams either. It's Football tradition for X and T or these schools would dominate every sport if all the unfair excuses were true....and they do not dominate....When was the last time X or T even made it to the Basketball State Champ.....Baseball?

There are not many private school players on the all-state teams either. It's Football tradition for X and T or these schools would dominate every sport if all the unfair excuses were true....and they do not dominate....When was the last time X or T even made it to the Basketball State Champ.....Baseball?

Thank you for making the argument that this issue is NOT just about T and X.

• 2 weeks later...
YUP! Could you imagine explaining to your team why you're not playing a certain other team?

Alot of coachs want to take the easy way out though, lets schedule only teams we can beat. Like this will make your program better. Sports is not only about winning, when I played for Holmes back in the early 90's I wasn't that good but I enjoyed playing the game. People are to worried about winning at all costs and not thinking about the other aspects of the game. Sportmanship, friendships, team building are far from peoples minds now a days. I am not going to play you because you draw in different kids than we do. One thing I can say about Holmes is we have never dodged anyone, we have taken are lumps, but the kids go out and have fun playing a sport they love.

Yeah, recruited for the privilege of paying $28,000 or more per year to go there...Sports really are an extra-curricular activity at these schools...nobody is going to Centre just to play ball.

I take severe offense to that. Having played football at Centre (after having played at a football factory in California that played against DeLaSalle every year) I can tell you unreservedly that at D3 schools, you don't "just walk on," they are much more than just an "extracurricular activity," the quality of NCAA football there is actually pretty high, and you better have been a pretty good high school football player to be there. We had a lot of "starters" from T and X who came there and got their tails beat so badly that they were cut or quit before the year was out . . . Don't be bad-mouthing D3 now, it ain't 1A or 1AA, but its still NCAA fotoball.

You went to Centre just to play ball????????????

I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm very familiar with Centre and and have the utmost respect for their sports programs. My point was in D3 playing sports is not the "job" it is in the other divisions. Students at Centre aren't getting scholarships to go there due to their athletic ability..unlike D1, 1AA, or even D2.

Don't understand the logic at all here. I believe that any coach that wants to forfeit a game is a coach who has no confidence in his team his school or his coaching. We played a private school friday night. I know one thing you can't be scared of a school with the last name catholic. Look you have to play the privates it is just a fact but you do have to play them and you play the game to win. I always would like to play a private school because if you were to knock them off that would be huge to your team your school and to the public schools.

You went to Centre just to play ball????????????

I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm very familiar with Centre and and have the utmost respect for their sports programs. My point was in D3 playing sports is not the "job" it is in the other divisions. Students at Centre aren't getting scholarships to go there due to their athletic ability..unlike D1, 1AA, or even D2.

It's true that Centre (or other D3 schools) won't generally get anyone going there who has any realistic ambitions to play in the NFL. They do however recruit te best players they can in order to remain competetive in their conference. To recruit these players (who, by the way, also have to meet the more rigorous acceptance standards that the school sets), they offer them the chance to actually play football in college (it doesn't all have to end in HS), and they offer an environment where they can be a student-athlete and not a student-athlete. That is to say that the student can actually take a load of classes which would allow him (or her) to actually get into med school or law school or grad school after four years. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it's only the truly exceptional student that can actually accomplish this at a D1 school on an athletic scholarship. Now, the last incentive ... it's widely recognized that a competitive student athlete, even at a non-scholarship school, will typically have an easier time getting admitted and getting financial aid than a similar non-athlete because he (or she) has the ability to "contribute to the campus life" more. I hope this helps.

Don't understand the logic at all here. I believe that any coach that wants to forfeit a game is a coach who has no confidence in his team his school or his coaching. We played a private school friday night. I know one thing you can't be scared of a school with the last name catholic. Look you have to play the privates it is just a fact but you do have to play them and you play the game to win. I always would like to play a private school because if you were to knock them off that would be huge to your team your school and to the public schools.

You know what the fans at NCC think that it was just as huge a win to beat a team that was as good as Somerset ! It got our boys into the State Finals and that is huge .