Should Publics Forfeit Against Private Schools?

cshs81

An EKY coach mentioned that maybe the public schools should forfeit games against private schools. His thinking was that since Prop 20 was overturned, this would be a way to "get back" at the private schools. His logic was that kids go to private schools in order to "be seen". If public schools would forfeit those games, these kids could not "be seen" live or on film.

1. I'm going to assume that most/a great majority of the other coaches will write this off as nonsense.

2. Lets assume that a kid really does go to "be seen". If he is seen and gets a scholarship, isn't that a good thing?

3. What's the message being sent here?

4. I'm guessing some, if not many, private schools bring a good crowd to away games. Wouldn't this hurt revenue, thus, hurting football and other sports at public schools.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the words used here are more than harsh.....What if the publics don't play??? The privates lose money.....

I honestly think there needs to be a happy median here. Bashing the publics that feel they are on the wrong side on the stick is NO WAY going to help this situation!!

Why don't you guys on the other side of the fence tell us HOW KHSAA play can be fair with the rules the way they are??

I think that the words used here are more than harsh.....What if the publics don't play??? The privates lose money.....

I honestly think there needs to be a happy median here. Bashing the publics that feel they are on the wrong side on the stick is NO WAY going to help this situation!!

Why don't you guys on the other side of the fence tell us HOW KHSAA play can be fair with the rules the way they are??

Who said I'm on the "other side of the fence?" I am a product of public school programs and have coached in public school programs for over ten years. It is still a ridiculous and ignorant idea and a total disgrace to sport. I don't and cannot see it any other way. If you have committed to the game then you knew the circumstances before you did it. Backing out to "make a statement" is the worst kind of unsportsmanlike conduct and in my mind qualifies as cowardice and unprofessionalism.

Is it fair for Dayton to have to compete in the same realm as Male in basketball? Nope. Fair for Silver Grove to compete with PRP in baseball? Nope. FAIR is merely one's opinion in my mind and therefore no reason to break a contract or your word once you committed to scheduling an opponent.

Who said I'm on the "other side of the fence?" I am a product of public school programs and have coached in public school programs for over ten years. It is still a ridiculous and ignorant idea and a total disgrace to sport. I don't and cannot see it any other way. If you have committed to the game then you knew the circumstances before you did it. Backing out to "make a statement" is the worst kind of unsportsmanlike conduct and in my mind qualifies as cowardice and unprofessionalism.

:thumb: :thumb:

What a joke. So to get back at the privates, you punish your kids and their kids. :confused: This epitomizes the mindset of some of the public school advocates.

An EKY coach mentioned that maybe the public schools should forfeit games against private schools. His thinking was that since Prop 20 was overturned, this would be a way to "get back" at the private schools. His logic was that kids go to private schools in order to "be seen". If public schools would forfeit those games, these kids could not "be seen" live or on film.

1. I'm going to assume that most/a great majority of the other coaches will write this off as nonsense.

Sadly, I think you'll probably find more coaches ready to do this in theory than those who think it's nonsensical. Now, whether ANY of them put it into practice or not remains to be seen, but I know it was the knee-jerk reaction when Prop 20 was voted down after the coaches had overwhelmingly shown their support of of.

2. Lets assume that a kid really does go to "be seen". If he is seen and gets a scholarship, isn't that a good thing?
The crazy thing here is that private schools in Kentucky probably produce (overall in all sports) less scholarship players than publics. I think privates may produce players who get scholarships in some of the lesser sports, and even CLUB sports, than in the big 3 sports. For instance, golf, swimming, lacrosse, volleyball, private school players really probably stand out in gaining scholarships. But, for instance in basketball, football and baseball, most of the scholarships the kids do gain are not a Division I schools. I assume those are the scholarships that they're referring to.

I'm not touching this one. :lol:

4. I'm guessing some, if not many, private schools bring a good crowd to away games. Wouldn't this hurt revenue, thus, hurting football and other sports at public schools.
As onetoya pointed out, the financial pain would be reciprocal. How to guage which would hurt the most is near impossible, without this being put into practice. I will say that I think the "pain" would be temporary for the larger privates, as they would find a way to make a schedule for the next season. It wouldn't be easy, and it would most likely require a great deal of resources, but I think it would be done. The smaller/smallest privates though, may wind up with a very difficult decision to make eventually, whether to offer sports or not, and that's a darned shame. :cry: Most of them are not the targets of this proposal in the first place, yet they become "collateral damage", in the quest to "bring down" the largest private schools.

Just my assessment of your questions....my views are my own, and whether or not they represent the views of other private school supporters, I can't say. But, from the posts that I've read here, I think I may be in the majority in my views.

Kids, you aren't good enough to compete with the private schools. And sense you aren't good enough, we're going to quit instead of working a little extra. Instead of sticking around for an extra five minutes and shooting, hitting, passing or kicking...we're going to take our ball and go home.

Remember this when you go to work. If any of you are in sales and someone out sells you, try to get them fired. God forbid you make a few more sales calls or put some extra time in. After all, his area is larger than yours, even though you have more businesses. :rolleyes:

So much for being a leader. :rolleyes:

I tried to help you out here but certain things couldn't be put on BGP.

I honestly don't want to speak for them at this point. I'm sure anything I would imagine would be refuted vehemently. I posted this "brilliant" observation in another thread:

Rationalization is a beautiful illusion. :D

I won't even comment on "getting back" and players "not being seen"....comments like that speak for themselves.

The cold hard reality is, some 4A schools have larger enrollments and don't have some of the facilities, revenue that say 1A schools do and vice-versa. Obviously schools with significant population boundaries, usually have more businesses, industry and tax revenue to help supplement their general fund budget, while others struggle to find any source of money.

Those that don't have, shouldn't blame those that do have....go out and get it done, raise the money for "better", it will take time but it certainly can be done. You need someone willing to spearhead this movement, committed, trustworthy and over time, a school can improve their facilities, which in turn would translate into "instructed and better prepared student-athletes".

I never did like to or someone that did blame others, for something I'm not willing to do myself. Get involved in a community, from the elementary age students, middle school programs, youth league programs and high school...ask yourself "what can I do, to make my school better" and than go do it.

:thumb:

I never did like to or someone that did blame others, for something I'm not willing to do myself. Get involved in a community, from the elementary age students, middle school programs, youth league programs and high school...ask yourself "what can I do, to make my school better" and than go do it.

:thumb:

What??? :confused:

It's much easier to drop the teams you can't beat from the schedule. :rolleyes:

What??? :confused:

It's much easier to drop the teams you can't beat from the schedule. :rolleyes:

...and that is the scary part SM, I hear too many times "I'm not playing them, for this or that reason".

Not the best message to send our student-athletes.