Mississippi State 24 Kentucky 17

swamprat

Recruiting rankings? Are you serious? I don't care what the rankings say, Mississippi State is not a greatly talented team. They have 2 QBs who are extremely average, as is the rest of their team the staff just squeezes alot out of their players and play to their strenghts. Locke, Cobb, Matthews, Hartline, King are better than anything they have on an individual basis IMO, I don't care what star their players are.

Recruiting rankings is your argument? They are worthless in football. The rankings would tell you that Notre Dame is one of the 5 most talented teams in America, and that Boise, TCU, and teams like that have no one. I think recruiting rankings are as political as can be. Watch a kid that is 3 stars commit to Bama or Florida, and they'll be a 4 by the time the new rankings come out. The rankings tell you nothing about the talent level. I love following football recruiting, but the rankings are an imperfect system based on camps, highlight tapes, name/school recognition and a little evaluation. BBall rankings are alot more representative of the overall talent level, though they have some misses as well.

You really think recruiting rankings are completely inaccurate? I will agree that they are skewed a little for the traditional power teams, but as a whole they are fairly accurate. The fact that Mississippi produces far more D-1 talent than Kentucky will always give the Mississippi teams a talent advantage. If anything Kentuckys coaches have coached up lesser talent.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think recruiting rankings are completely inaccurate? I will agree that they are skewed a little for the traditional power teams, but as a whole they are fairly accurate. The fact that Mississippi produces far more D-1 talent than Kentucky will always give the Mississippi teams a talent advantage. If anything Kentuckys coaches have coached up lesser talent.

Mississippi does produce more talent. But that talent goes to Ole Miss, or LSU, or Bama, Auburn, Texas, etc. MSU doesn't get alot of big time guys. How many times have you watched them this season? They're not that talented, but they play hard and are well coached. I don't see how anyone that has saw both teams play a few times wouldn't say UK has more talented guys.

And football recruiting rankings are a joke. They are pretty inaccurate. How many titles has Notre Dame or Florida State won the last 7 or 8 years? Better yet, have they even been that close? They're always around the top of the rankings. Who you sign with determines what you get ranked in alot of cases. I've seen guys on Scout or ESPN say they really take into account who is recruiting someone and where they go. Looking at someone's rankings and saying they have more talent than another team is crazy. Like I said I bet MSU has more highly rated classes than Boise does, but who has more talent? And don't tell me it's all about coaching, Boise has some guys that could play anywhere though I think they are extremely well coached.

Name 4 people on Mississippi State. Everyone in the SEC knows Cobb, Locke, and Hartline. Maybe MSU has a little more depth, but who would know? Switch coaches and UK wins the 8 or 9 games MSU is going to win this season, and MSU is struggling to get to a bowl.

I didn't expect a whole lot out of UK this year. I've been a fan for a long long time. I think they are going to be fine this was set up to be a down year. They've lost to many key defensive players IMO. People love offense but KY has put some nice defensive players in the pros the last few years.

Afraid that basketball enthusiasm may die off quickly this year as well. You might want to stick it out with the football team until the season is over.

I've been a UK fan (all sports) since I could walk, but I know how many of the fans will react. I've seen it too many times.

Name 4 people on Mississippi State. Everyone in the SEC knows Cobb, Locke, and Hartline. Maybe MSU has a little more depth, but who would know? Switch coaches and UK wins the 8 or 9 games MSU is going to win this season, and MSU is struggling to get to a bowl.

Skill player wise, sure UK is on par with a few schools. But they do not field the same level of talent up front on either side of the ball which is where those recruiting numbers really show.

Skill player wise, sure UK is on par with a few schools. But they do not field the same level of talent up front on either side of the ball which is where those recruiting numbers really show.

Compared to Mississippi State though? Give me a break they were a 2 and 3 win team before Mullen. They have slightly better than Vanderbilt talent.

Compared to Mississippi State though? Give me a break they were a 2 and 3 win team before Mullen. They have slightly better than Vanderbilt talent.

Yes, even compared to Mississippi State. That does not mean they are fielding an NFL team in Starkville, but depth wise they are most likely better.

I know you are dismissive of recruiting rankings, but in doing a quick search I compared UK and Mississippi State's last 4 recruiting classes on Rivals. Kentucky was able to bring in 6 **** players. Only 1 of those 6 is from the Commonwealth. In the same time, Mississppi State brought in 19 **** players. All 19 are from Mississippi. UK has a lot less wiggle room than even a team like Mississippi State. There is no exact formula and other variables such as coaching, development, etc. which determine a teams record, but there is a reason your mainstays in all sports normally have the most stars by their name each recruiting season.

Yes, even compared to Mississippi State. That does not mean they are fielding an NFL team in Starkville, but depth wise they are most likely better.

I know you are dismissive of recruiting rankings, but in doing a quick search I compared UK and Mississippi State's last 4 recruiting classes on Rivals. Kentucky was able to bring in 6 **** players. Only 1 of those 6 is from the Commonwealth. In the same time, Mississppi State brought in 19 **** players. All 19 are from Mississippi. UK has a lot less wiggle room than even a team like Mississippi State. There is no exact formula and other variables such as coaching, development, etc. which determine a teams record, but there is a reason your mainstays in all sports normally have the most stars by their name each recruiting season.

I just don't see it on the field from MSU. I think they have one of the top up and coming HCs in the country, and one of the most respected young DC's in the game in Diaz. That masks alot for them IMO. I don't see one player on their team that I wish was at UK. I think talent-wise UK showed they were at a minimum as good as MSU, but I'd like to think that the difference between Joker (who I like) and Mullen w/ Diaz is enough for MSU. I'm just not seeing the depth. Their defensive success comes from their scheme to me, Diaz is known as one of, if not the most creative coach in the game at blitz and pressure packages. Their QBs are garbage, RBs are okay, I couldn't name a WR on the team and I've watched them a handful of times this year. They just don't wow me with their talent or depth, regardless of what the recruiting rankings say. Fair enough?

I will say they have a better pool of players to choose from instate, but who doesn't?

Neither Cobb, Locke or Hartline were heavily recruited players out of high school. That means either the coaches are good at finding good players that noone wants or they are able to coach them up, one way or the other that is coaching. Where MSU's talent is much better than UK's is on the lines and to be honest with you I could not name you 4 Linemen in the SEC.

Neither Cobb, Locke or Hartline were heavily recruited players out of high school. That means either the coaches are good at finding good players that noone wants or they are able to coach them up, one way or the other that is coaching. Where MSU's talent is much better than UK's is on the lines and to be honest with you I could not name you 4 Linemen in the SEC.

Who care who recruits the players? Does that make them any less talented? Cobb was extremely underrecruited, Hartline was developed by the staff, and no one wanted Locke. That doesn't mean they're not talented. I'd take UK's players over MSU's players any day of the week. I would take MSU's coaching staff over UK's by a wide margin.

Who care who recruits the players? Does that make them any less talented? Cobb was extremely underrecruited, Hartline was developed by the staff, and no one wanted Locke. That doesn't mean they're not talented. I'd take UK's players over MSU's players any day of the week. I would take MSU's coaching staff over UK's by a wide margin.
You are giving up on the coaching staff after 9 games? You have to give them a little more time than that. If I'm not mistaken Mullen was 5-7 at MSU last year and they kept him around and he is 7-2 this year. Patience may pay off with this staff.

You are giving up on the coaching staff after 9 games? You have to give them a little more time than that. If I'm not mistaken Mullen was 5-7 at MSU last year and they kept him around and he is 7-2 this year. Patience may pay off with this staff.

I said earlier that I like our coaching staff. I think they will be fine. I think Mullen and Diaz are both really, really good though.

I think Coach Brooks handed off to Joker this season because of the easy conference schedule compared to years past. But, I really wish he would have stayed for this year. This Cats team just isn't that talented overall and a veteran coach could make up for it.

But how about Dan Mullen? I'm not bashing Joker, but why can't we get a coach like him? Mississippi State was about as big of a joke as Vandy when he took over and he continues to win with no talent compared to the heavyweights of the SEC. I'd actually say UK is alot more talented overall than MSU, but Mullen does a heck of a job. If I'm Georgia or LSU and I fire my coach he's my first call. Actually Michigan fans wouldn't want to hear it, but if I'm them and I fire Rich Rod, I'd go and get him rather than Miles or Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a great coach, but his style of play doesn't fit what Michigan has which is what started their whole mess in the first place (along with having no talent) and he'll be in the NFL shortly I think. Dan Mullen is a coach on the rise IMO.

Interesting to hear you say this. I remember having a few nice talks with you about this subject. I said how I was not happy that UK was just handing Joker the job, and not at least looking around. I remember you giving me all kinds of crap about that, and how UK should be happy to get a guy like Joker for the job. That he could just continue what Brooks had going, and all that. Now you have a post like this, so I am glad you see what I was saying now. :D

I am not down on Joker, because I think he will do a decent job here. I just think UK blew it last year, by not at least looking around and seeing who all might be interested in it. I think they should have interviewed a few people, including Joker. Then if Joker was still the best man for the job, then give it to him. I just hate when schools do the coach in waiting thing.

Your wrong on the overall talent, Mississippi State has been higher in the recruiting ratings for as long as I can remember. Mississippi produces far more 4 and 5 star talent than Kentucky in the high schools. In reality, it is amazing that UK is as competitive as they are.

This would be true if the bulk of KY's starters were from KY, but they're not.