Mississippi State 24 Kentucky 17

swamprat

Interesting to hear you say this. I remember having a few nice talks with you about this subject. I said how I was not happy that UK was just handing Joker the job, and not at least looking around. I remember you giving me all kinds of crap about that, and how UK should be happy to get a guy like Joker for the job. That he could just continue what Brooks had going, and all that. Now you have a post like this, so I am glad you see what I was saying now. :D

I am not down on Joker, because I think he will do a decent job here. I just think UK blew it last year, by not at least looking around and seeing who all might be interested in it. I think they should have interviewed a few people, including Joker. Then if Joker was still the best man for the job, then give it to him. I just hate when schools do the coach in waiting thing.

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I think Joker was the right man for the UK job and deserved the job. That doesn't mean that there are not better coaches out there though. Two totally different things.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I think Joker was the right man for the UK job and deserved the job. That doesn't mean that there are not better coaches out there though. Two totally different things.

You seemed perfectly fine with them just giving them the job. Then now you post how there are other better guys out there, which I agree with. So my point is if you agree that there were better coaches out there, then why were you perfectly fine with just giving Joker the job if there were better people? That was my whole point about our discussion we had about this last year. UK was in a very good spot to at least look around and see who might be interested in the job. It was a program built back up by Brooks, and going in a good direction. So it would have been the perfect chance to at least see what was out there. I don't know how people can continue to say it was smart to just hand him the job, without even looking. If he was the best guy for the job after looking around, and interviewing others. Then that is when they should have hired him. He very well might have been the best candidate. However its just dumb IMO to basically tie your hands down, by doing the whole coach in waiting thing. Because as you said there are other coaches who probably would better, and maybe would have had a chance at.

You seemed perfectly fine with them just giving them the job. Then now you post how there are other better guys out there, which I agree with. So my point is if you agree that there were better coaches out there, then why were you perfectly fine with just giving Joker the job if there were better people? That was my whole point about our discussion we had about this last year. UK was in a very good spot to at least look around and see who might be interested in the job. It was a program built back up by Brooks, and going in a good direction. So it would have been the perfect chance to at least see what was out there. I don't know how people can continue to say it was smart to just hand him the job, without even looking. If he was the best guy for the job after looking around, and interviewing others. Then that is when they should have hired him. He very well might have been the best candidate. However its just dumb IMO to basically tie your hands down, by doing the whole coach in waiting thing. Because as you said there are other coaches who probably would better, and maybe would have had a chance at.

Cmon guys it's his first season as head coach. If he wins out and makes it to the Music City Bowl, how would that be any different than what Rich Brooks did during his tenure?

I didn't even read all of that. If you won't value my opinion that I feel Joker earned the job, then there is no point in debating it. Sure there were better coaches on the market, but I feel the job rightfully belonged to Joker. Totally different than the crap you're accusing me of saying. How you feel and how I feel are totally different, and I don't think being on either side of the argument is a bad thing.

This loss pretty much cements that the game in Knoxville is their bowl game.

If they can end that streak along with the USC/Spurrier streak, then this year will have been OK, no matter the bowl situation.

Birmingham would just be awful for a bowl game...but palatable coming off a win versus the Vols.

Joker lost his cool tonight. Should have called a timeout before that 4th down play. He was still upset over what he perceived to be a holding call, not called against King. You knew the house was coming....he deserves some of the blame.

The Wildcobb has lost some of its effectiveness without Locke in there because teams do not have to respect the jet sweep to Locke.

Disappointing, opened the season with three cupcakes and have gone 1-5 against the meat of the schedule. You are what your record says you are.

I told my wife the same thing. They should have tried to come up with something to counter the blitz that was coming every play at that point, the blitz that UK didn't come close to picking up (it seemed to me). If they were committed to allowing a man to come free every play, throwing it up and hoping someone could make a play was the only option. I, too, felt like a TO should have been called and an attempt made to buy Hartline enough time to look the field over and hopefully find an open man for a first down at the least.

This would be true if the bulk of KY's starters were from KY, but they're not.

I think that's part of the point, is it not? You have a better chance of landing in-state talent, but that's only advantageous if your state produces a lot of talent.