New football stadium at Campbell County?

Newport charges a reasonable amount. Campbell County wanted an arm and BOTH legs.

I guess Brossart was shocked to learn that when they started football a few years ago that they lacked a field to play on. You know they are free to purchase their own land and build a field but I guess it is easier to complain about CC.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was 50 years. The current BOE decided they don't like our kids or tax dollars. But they did us a favor. We now use Highlands as our home field. They like our kids. And they care about there football program. But I think it would be great to see a new stadium.

From what I hear the powers that be at the Red Devils liked HHS more than CCHS as well and that was the reason for the parting of ways; so the relationship may be a little more fitting for all involved. :cool: We do agree on the stadium though.

No, Brossart knew we didn't have a field to play on. I guess we just assumed that since our tax dollars went to build EVERYTHING you have, that you might be willing to let us pay a reasonable fee to play on YOUR field.

How about we reverse the situation and your tax dollars pay for a new Brossart stadium that CC doesn't get to use. I'm sure if that happened we would never hear a CC complaint.

I heard a rumor that the Campbell County BOE voted the other night to approve construction of a new football stadium with turf along with tennis courts etc on campus at the High School. In this economic climate it seems like a reach to me but can anyone confirm or dispell this rumor?

Nothing wrong with the current stadium that a turf playing surface couldn't fix.

Actually it was 50 years. The current BOE decided they don't like our kids or tax dollars. But they did us a favor. We now use Highlands as our home field. They like our kids. And they care about there football program. But I think it would be great to see a new stadium.

While I'm sure Highlands doesn't DISLIKE your kids don't KID yourself into believing they're being benevolent. They're doing it for two reasons: cash and exposure.

No, Brossart knew we didn't have a field to play on. I guess we just assumed that since our tax dollars went to build EVERYTHING you have, that you might be willing to let us pay a reasonable fee to play on YOUR field.

How about we reverse the situation and your tax dollars pay for a new Brossart stadium that CC doesn't get to use. I'm sure if that happened we would never hear a CC complaint.

You may want to read up a little bit on the concept of the seperation of church and state and start a new thread if you like because this one is getting jacked.

So only Brossart people paid for Campbell County High School? Very nice of you guys.

CCHS has to do what's best for those students that go there. If they think their field is already getting too much use why are they obligated to let BB use it. Put your kid in CCHS if you want him to have guaranteed access to a field.

Your complaining is illogical and a bit petty.

This is a ridiculous line of thinking. You make the choice to go to a private school. A private school has no right to public facilities. You are making the choice not to get benefit out of your tax dollars.

Maybe if they get a new stadium they will let Brossart play on the middle school field. Sure would be nice to let us Campbell Co. tax-paying residents to use something our own money paid for. By the way, kudos for Newport for allowing NCC and Brossart to 'use' their facilities - but it kills me every week to drive right past an empty CC stadium, only to drive to Newport.

I'm sorry but I had to get that one off my chest. Obviously a sore subject for me! I wish CC no ill will and hope they get a new stadium to play in - I just wish they were a little more willing to share what they have - even an 'old' stadium.

Agreed on the bolded statement 100%. Why the old field? I say that they let Brossart share the new field and complex with CC. Newport and Newcath do it, for a fee of course. But as tax paying citizens I believe we should have the right to add an attachment to the new stadium vote and that would include Brossart kids to get the best bang for our buck. I am with Clyde, I just dont see the necessity for this imo especially now. If the playin surface at the old stadium is such an issue, then retrofit it with new fieldturf for the fraction of the cost to build a new facility. New Stadium? Bad idea during the current state of this economy. I am in the commericial and industrial construction industry and I can tell ya people, 2 to 3 yrs before we recover. Good Luck.

Last post for me.

1) I never said ONLY Brossart people paid for Campbell County High School. However, I will say that 99.9% of past and present Brossart students live in Campbell County and they pay CC taxes (just like CC students). So my point is correct that our (Brossart students and parents) tax dollars help build CC High School and the current stadium.

2) I understand that CCHS has to do what's best for those students that go there. However, I don't understand how building a new stadium is best for CC students. I just read in the newspaper where test scores in almost every CC public school (high school and lower) dropped (excluding Highlands). How is spending millions on a new stadium best for the students? Fishhead is correct, pay a lot less for artificial turf and forget about the new stadium. Heck, don't do anything except spend the money to better educate the CC students.

3) Finally, you are correct that my 'complaining' about Brossart not using the stadium was petty - I'm big enough to admit it. But wasting millions of dollars to build a new stadium when test scores are going south is not petty. Spend the money (a portion of which is my hard earned tax dollars) to better educate the students. You don't need a new stadium.

No more posts from me.

While I'm sure Highlands doesn't DISLIKE your kids don't KID yourself into believing they're being benevolent. They're doing it for two reasons: cash and exposure.
And we have secret misting machines, built into the entry arch, that spray hypnotic chemicals onto all the really good players. :cool:

It is and it was actually pretty chewed up even before the Camels played their home opener this year.

That then would be reason for concern, any sport is going to be dangerous, but having to play on a bad surface makes it even more dangerous which is why so many pro teams lead the way with artificial turf and so on and so forth down the line.

I can't imagine spending the money unless it was donated. I'd have trouble justifying the expense. They don't play soccer on it, correct? Let's say varsity plays 5 or 6 games, JV plays 5 games, frosh play 4 or 5. How much is it worth to build a whole new stadium to play 15 games in a year?

The soccer team doesn't play on it now, but would that change if the new field was available?

To be honest I do not see a problem with building a new stadium. From my understanding the plans were in the works a couple of years ago but the money had to be spent to build 2 new elementary schools.

In my opinion, there are way too many games played on the football field right now. I think before the varsity team got to play on it there were 12 - 15 (JV, Freshman and Middle school) games played on it. This is a lot of games on one field. I would also like to say the playing area around the field is not safe either. The light poles which are practically on the field and the closeness of the track to the field is really unsafe. There are drains on the south ends on the sides of the end zones which are only about 10 feet off the playing field. I know a lot of people really do not care about what the kids think but for the most part those kids feel like they are playing 10 away games. It is a pain to load up on the bus every game even though they have a "home" game.

Just my 2 cents.

Nothing wrong with the current stadium that a turf playing surface couldn't fix.

Not to continue to hijack the thread, but if Campbell County had embraced Brossart football back at its inception, a cooperative effort could have been worked out between ourselves, Campbell County, the Red Devils and other organizations who use the field, and Bob Miller Stadium could have had a turf field in place for the past four years now. Activities could be held there on a daily basis generating revenues through rental fees and concession monies.

Instead, at the time there was bad blood between the two schools because of Brossaart using the CCMS gym to host an All "A" Regional which didn't sit well with a lot of the middle school parents, it was an election year, and it certainly would not have been popular to support such a cooperative venture at the time.

Now, five years later, I think the Campbell program has learned two things about Brossart football. One - that we are here to stay, and Two - that we are not a threat to them. We might be competitive in all of our other sports but football is a whole different animal and we are not on the same planet as 6A Cambell County and probably won't be for a while.

I'm not sure that the "money/influential" people who would have worked to make a turf field at Bob Miller a reality then are still as passionate about it now, but if Campbell County is not building a new on-campus stadium, which they would prefer, putting turf on Bob Miller Stadium for the general use of all of the aforementioned groups and the community in general would still be benefical to all.