'Burn Quran Day' and outrage to Muslims

I figured that another thread about Muslims would be good this Friday afternoon. There are certainly some things we've talked about this week that I don't agree with, but this is one that I just don't I can support.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/20/ahmed.quran.burning/index.html?hpt=C2

I can't help but think of the quote from Heinrich Heine, "Where they burn books, they will ultimately also burn people."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it in one of the other Muslim threads this week and I will say it here. Just because people have a "right" to build or burn something doesn't make it the "right" think to do. I would think most posters here on BGP would not support this demonstration, but would defend this group's rights to burn these Qurans. That seemed to be the common thread on most of the posts that I read this week in the other Muslim related threads. Reminds me of flag burners, I hate it, but I guess our country gives people the right to do it.

I said it in one of the other Muslim threads this week and I will say it here. Just because people have a "right" to build or burn something doesn't make it the "right" think to do. I would think most posters here on BGP would not support this demonstration, but would defend this group's rights to burn these Qurans. That seemed to be the common thread on most of the posts that I read this week in the other Muslim related threads. Reminds me of flag burners, I hate it, but I guess our country gives people the right to do it.

Brother, you are 100% correct. It may leave a bitter taste but it's legal.

I honestly would be interested in being down there in Florida and watch this event take place, not because I support the act, but I think it would be really interesting to see how this plays out. Then again, it may not be safe to be anywhere near this one.

I would hope those that choose to partake would be the only ones there.

Any others would be giving exactly what this guy wants.

I thought this section of the article was intersting (not sure the right word to use there)...

At a recent dinner in Washington, a host for one of Pakistan's top TV channels confided in me that he "didn't dare" report the story because if he did, "not a single American would be safe in Pakistan."

I would hope those that choose to partake would be the only ones there.

Any others would be giving exactly what this guy wants.

Well I don't see the Muslim community staying away fromt this event, do you? I think there will be much controversy and who knows. Somewhat like when word gets out that there will be a KKK rally somewhere. Those that oppose will go out to the event as well to oppose it.

I thought this section of the article was intersting (not sure the right word to use there)...

At a recent dinner in Washington, a host for one of Pakistan's top TV channels confided in me that he "didn't dare" report the story because if he did, "not a single American would be safe in Pakistan."

That quote speaks volumes about Muslim tolerance.:sssh: