'Burn Quran Day' and outrage to Muslims

Your provacative schtick is getting tiresome. I assure you that many on this board would agree.

I can't let this go without responding. "Provacative schtick", as you term it, isn't just a right of one side or another. You find it to be "provacative" because you happen to disagree with you. However, much as you believe and wholeheartedly agree with many of the topics introduced in this forum that I don't, because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean it's tiresome.

Here's the thing, without "provacative schtick" (again your term) there is no discussion. There is no attempt to undrestand. "Provacative schtick" was what freed slaves, gave women the right to vote and later gave us civil rights legislation. Heck, "provacative schtick" brought peoples of different religion together to form a country that allows each to worship as they please....where would we be if the British Patriots had succeeded in convincing all the people listening to "Provocative schtick"?

I'm sorry, maybe many on this board would agree with your statement. And I'm sure it's no surprise to you that I don't. But, just as I find "provacative schtick" interesting when I agree, I've learned an enormous amount about why people believe things I don't, why they don't believe things I do. I wouldn't consider that tiresome, no matter how irksome I find the topic.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize you consistantly go out of your way to explain moral relativism, but maybe you can see a difference between burning a book and threats of harm. Guess not.

I would say you must know what I would respond. But surely you are not saying that the only threats of harm that are to be considered legitimate are physical? Surely you don't find pervasive bias, bigotry, and prejudice to be tolerable?

I can't let this go without responding. "Provacative schtick", as you term it, isn't just a right of one side or another. You find it to be "provacative" because you happen to disagree with you. However, much as you believe and wholeheartedly agree with many of the topics introduced in this forum that I don't, because you don't like what someone says doesn't mean it's tiresome.

Here's the thing, without "provacative schtick" (again your term) there is no discussion. There is no attempt to undrestand. "Provacative schtick" was what freed slaves, gave women the right to vote and later gave us civil rights legislation. Heck, "provacative schtick" brought peoples of different religion together to form a country that allows each to worship as they please....where would we be if the British Patriots had succeeded in convincing all the people listening to "Provocative schtick"?

I'm sorry, maybe many on this board would agree with your statement. And I'm sure it's no surprise to you that I don't. But, just as I find "provacative schtick" interesting when I agree, I've learned an enormous amount about why people believe things I don't, why they don't believe things I do. I wouldn't consider that tiresome, no matter how irksome I find the topic.

Thank you.

Could not disagree with you more, at least not in my understanding of what Jesus calls us to do in His name.

Please explain why this is an example of the tolerance of Christianity rather than the stupidity of a very small group who is being widely criticized by members of their own religon? I would say it is a shining example of the overal tolerance of Christianity.

Have you ever heard widespread fear for LIVES of innocent people when the bible was threatened to be burned???? Just once? I sure haven't.

Please explain why this is an example of the tolerance of Christianity rather than the stupidity of a very small group who is being widely criticized by members of their own religon? I would say it is a shining example of the overal tolerance of Christianity.

Have you ever heard widespread fear for LIVES of innocent people when the bible was threatened to be burned???? Just once? I sure haven't.

Have there actually been any threats? Or is it just a case of over-reaction?

As to the issue at hand, the church is within their rights to do it, though it is certainly not something I agree with. I can't decide if they are just seeking publicity or if they are part of the group of citizens that truly want to make this a "holy war."

While agree with most sentiments in this thread, there's certainly a difference between burning the Quran and physically harming innocent people.

Bingo!! Those who say all intolerence is basically the same are living in Oz. The burning of a religous text to make a point is pretty sad and pathetic. Disfiguring women, stoning people, and hijacking planes to kill innocent human beings is a tad worse in my book. No doubt Christianity has had its troubled past (see Inquisition), but that was then and this is now.

Have there actually been any threats? Or is it just a case of over-reaction?

As to the issue at hand, the church is within their rights to do it, though it is certainly not something I agree with. I can't decide if they are just seeking publicity or if they are part of the group of citizens that truly want to make this a "holy war."

Don't know if it's an over reaction when the host of a top TV channel "didn't dare" report the story out of fear for the lives of people. I would say he probably knows his audience. Such as:

From 2005:LAHORE , Pakistan - Hundreds of Muslims attacked and burned two churches in Pakistan on Saturday after reports that a Christian man had desecrated Islam’s holy book. No one was injured in the blazes.

A school, student hostel and the home of a priest were also torched by the crowd of about 1,500 Muslims near the town of Sangla Hill, about 80 miles northeast of Lahore, said police official Ali Asghar Dogar.

The attacks were being investigated. About two dozen people had been arrested, Dogar said.

The fires came a day after a local Muslim resident accused a Christian of burning a one-room Islamic school along with copies of the Quran. Dogar said the allegations were apparently leveled by people who lost money while gambling with the Christian man on Friday, but police had detained him and were investigating.

Shahbaz Bhatti, head of the All Pakistan Minorities Alliance — which promotes the rights of minorities in mainly Muslim Pakistan, denied the charges and condemned the attacks on the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches.

“No Christian burned copies of the Quran,” he told The Associated Press. “No Christian even can think of doing it. We have maximum regard and respect for the Quran and Islam’s Prophet Muhammad.”

Bhatti accused local Muslim leaders of using mosque public-address systems to urge Muslims to attack the churches.

Don't know if it's an over reaction when the host of a top TV channel "didn't dare" report the story out of fear for the lives of people. I would say he probably knows his audience. Such as:

From 2005:LAHORE , Pakistan - Hundreds of Muslims attacked and burned two churches in Pakistan on Saturday after reports that a Christian man had desecrated Islam’s holy book. No one was injured in the blazes.

A school, student hostel and the home of a priest were also torched by the crowd of about 1,500 Muslims near the town of Sangla Hill, about 80 miles northeast of Lahore, said police official Ali Asghar Dogar.

The attacks were being investigated. About two dozen people had been arrested, Dogar said.

The fires came a day after a local Muslim resident accused a Christian of burning a one-room Islamic school along with copies of the Quran. Dogar said the allegations were apparently leveled by people who lost money while gambling with the Christian man on Friday, but police had detained him and were investigating.

Shahbaz Bhatti, head of the All Pakistan Minorities Alliance — which promotes the rights of minorities in mainly Muslim Pakistan, denied the charges and condemned the attacks on the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches.

“No Christian burned copies of the Quran,” he told The Associated Press. “No Christian even can think of doing it. We have maximum regard and respect for the Quran and Islam’s Prophet Muhammad.”

Bhatti accused local Muslim leaders of using mosque public-address systems to urge Muslims to attack the churches.

I thought that we were talking about the burning of the Koran at a church in the United States. Again, have there been any threats against the church planning on this event?

IMO, you're looking at this the wrong way. This isn't about what others may do in the name of their religion, but about what we are called to do in the name of Christ. He commanded us to "turn the other cheek". He forgave Judas for his betrayal of Him. He forgave those who crucified Him. Christ commands us to love one another. He doesn't mention anywhere that we should repress or condemn those who do not believe.

And how can Christians hope to show those of other religions that The Way is through love of one's neighbor and the forgiveness of Christ if we are intolerant and ready to disrespect their holiest book?

How can we hope to combat what Al Qaeda and the Taliban tout as our intent to destroy Muslims and the Islamic religion if we are, in fact, displaying the very same attitude that they say we hold?

Most Muslims, follwers of Islam, do NOT use violence in the name of their religion, no more than most Christians do. The issue, as I see it, is the assignation to a group of people the extreme behavior of a faction within. We feed the assertions of the extremists. We prove their rhetoric is true.

In my opinion, and I'll surely be blasted for this, if this Quaran burning leads to the deaths of Christians, the blood is on the hands of those who sought to provoke those who practice Islam. Although it will most likely be terrorists using the incident to further their agenda, the blame will lie on Christians NOT following the teachings of Christ.

IMO, you're looking at this the wrong way. This isn't about what others may do in the name of their religion, but about what we are called to do in the name of Christ. He commanded us to "turn the other cheek". He forgave Judas for his betrayal of Him. He forgave those who crucified Him. Christ commands us to love one another. He doesn't mention anywhere that we should repress or condemn those who do not believe.

And how can Christians hope to show those of other religions that The Way is through love of one's neighbor and the forgiveness of Christ if we are intolerant and ready to disrespect their holiest book?

How can we hope to combat what Al Qaeda and the Taliban tout as our intent to destroy Muslims and the Islamic religion if we are, in fact, displaying the very same attitude that they say we hold?

Most Muslims, follwers of Islam, do NOT use violence in the name of their religion, no more than most Christians do. The issue, as I see it, is the assignation to a group of people the extreme behavior of a faction within. We feed the assertions of the extremists. We prove their rhetoric is true.

In my opinion, and I'll surely be blasted for this, if this Quaran burning leads to the deaths of Christians, the blood is on the hands of those who sought to provoke those who practice Islam. Although it will most likely be terrorists using the incident to further their agenda, the blame will lie on Christians NOT following the teachings of Christ.

I agree with much of what you say here, RM. We are becoming what the Muslim extremists and terrorists accuse us of being.

I don't quite feel the same way that you do regarding the last paragraph, though I certainly understand your opinion. Regardless of what anyone else does, each of us/them choose our own actions.

Additionally, and probably the main reason I wanted to post here is that it is too bad, RM, that we can't convince more people to read this book.

You raise some good points, however, the Muslim extremists are taught from an early age to hate us. Why is it our faults? Please give me examples outside of this idiot, "Pastor" Terry Jones. I'm not trying to be combative here, I seriously would like to see the type of things that others feel is our fault so I can base an opinion on it.