A Breitbart Video of NAACP Bigotry In Their Ranks

I'm not sure how this is exactly like the Tea Party at this point.

I see no reason to believe that she hasn't moved beyond her past. My father was a racist when I was little, along about the same time period. As time passed, and as he became more acquainted through work and in his social life to people of other races, he changed his opinion. He now is one of the staunchest anti-racism proponents around. He readily admits his past, and uses it when he speaks of the issue in discussion. But because he was a racist, doesn't mean he still is.

As to the second issue you raise. I don't know how to respond. I doubt we're in agreement, simply because she is an individual openly is speaking of here past, and the ways her views in her past manifested themselves in how she performed her job. She's speaking to the point that we must all move past this. Relative to the NAACP as a group, they applaud the decision to fire her, so I can't say they're purporting racism as a collective group. In fact, it's my knee-jerk reaction that they may be sacrificing a great asset in doing so.

I haven't called the Tea Partiers racists. I do agree the dude who put up the billboard is strongly suspicious. But the Tea Party as an entity threw him out.

I don't think anyone things the Tea Party itself is racist. I think that there are racist members within it, just as there likely is within pretty much any and all collectives. I do feel that what this woman was condemned for, and what the billboard dude did are two very different things. She was taken out of context and exploited. He deliberately put up a freaking billboard. I'm not sure how ambiguous that can be seen.

I’m not really talking about you; I’m speaking of the generalization from the left about the Tea Party being racist. I agree that there are racist people in every group out there.

Another problem I see in the video is all the nodding in agreement and laughter and the basic cheering on from the crowd when she was speaking about her bigotry.

I’m not sure what I think of her at this point since it all hit the fan for her. She may be telling the truth, she may just be back peddling.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not really talking about you; I’m speaking of the generalization from the left about the Tea Party being racist. I agree that there are racist people in every group out there.

Another problem I see in the video is all the nodding in agreement and laughter and the basic cheeping on from the crowd when she was speaking about her bigotry.

I’m not sure what I think of her at this point since it all hit the fan for her. She may be telling the truth, she may just be back peddling.

Sherrod keeps saying she was unfairly characterized in this video. Maybe that is true. If she is so adamant in her defense, why not show the rest of the video refudiating the claims of the "Conservative" outlets which released this video?

Sherrod keeps saying she was unfairly characterized in this video. Maybe that is true. If she is so adamant in her defense, why not show the rest of the video refudiating the claims of the "Conservative" outlets which released this video?
Andrew Breitbart claims that this was the entirety of the speech he had in his possession.

Andrew Breitbart claims that this was the entirety of the speech he had in his possession.

Of course it is, but you can tell it is abruptly cut off and that she is beginning to talk about economics right about the cut=off

Not necessarily from what happens to her, but does it change popular perception? Does it change your perception? Should someone lose their job for something they did 24 years ago? Not defending her, just asking a question. I don't know if I even have an answer to that.

I'm not so sure she shouldn't be prosecuted for discrimination.

First, Breibart makes money off of Fox News. He isn't going to send the entire video because he wouldn't get paid because Fox wouldn't be interested.

The part he did show is no different than a recovered drug addict telling the story about him stealing in the past to support his drug habit. What we wouldn't have heard is that he learned from his mistakes and made amends and changed his ways.

I saw the rest of the video today on CNN and it was obvious she was telling a story that she learned from and that she was wrong 24 YEARS AGO. Heck, she then went onto say she worked with the family for 2 years to help them keep their farm. The wife was on TV today backing her up.

Whoever made the decision to fire her based on Breibart's video fell right into Breibart's trap. If it was from the WH then they were wrong as well. The NAACP president falls into the trap as well.

One more example of how both sides of the spectrum disgust me.

Edited by Clyde

I'm not sure how this is exactly like the Tea Party at this point.

I see no reason to believe that she hasn't moved beyond her past. My father was a racist when I was little, along about the same time period. As time passed, and as he became more acquainted through work and in his social life to people of other races, he changed his opinion. He now is one of the staunchest anti-racism proponents around. He readily admits his past, and uses it when he speaks of the issue in discussion. But because he was a racist, doesn't mean he still is.

As to the second issue you raise. I don't know how to respond. I doubt we're in agreement, simply because she is an individual openly is speaking of here past, and the ways her views in her past manifested themselves in how she performed her job. She's speaking to the point that we must all move past this. Relative to the NAACP as a group, they applaud the decision to fire her, so I can't say they're purporting racism as a collective group. In fact, it's my knee-jerk reaction that they may be sacrificing a great asset in doing so.

I haven't called the Tea Partiers racists. I do agree the dude who put up the billboard is strongly suspicious. But the Tea Party as an entity threw him out.

I don't think anyone things the Tea Party itself is racist. I think that there are racist members within it, just as there likely is within pretty much any and all collectives. I do feel that what this woman was condemned for, and what the billboard dude did are two very different things. She was taken out of context and exploited. He deliberately put up a freaking billboard. I'm not sure how ambiguous that can be seen.

Has she moved on?

"took him to one of them"

"his own kind"

I think she needs further diversity training.

If you want to fully understand Breibart, look at the graphic that says "she discriminates against people due to their race" and then cuts off the video before she talks about what happened 24 years ago and how she then realized it was more than race. He is a punk - 100% - needs his lying rear end thumped and thumped hard.

If you want to fully understand Breibart, look at the graphic that says "she discriminates against people due to their race" and then cuts off the video before she talks about what happened 24 years ago and how she then realized it was more than race. He is a punk - 100% - needs his lying rear end thumped and thumped hard.
As do those that paint the Tea Party as racist (and lets face it, there is no shortage of them), but no one seems to get as upset about that as you seem to be about this.

I have to wonder why the WH asked her to step down if this was nothing more than a lie. Are they that inept?

Didn't see that kind of outrage in the thread on Think Progress.

As do those that paint the Tea Party as racist (and lets face it, there is no shortage of them), but no one seems to get as upset about that as you seem to be about this.

I have to wonder why the WH asked her to step down if this was nothing more than a lie. Are they that inept?

Here's the difference as I see it. There are indeed racists in the Tea Party. Some generalize and smear the entire group unfairly based on a few. Generalization would be the crime.

Breibart flat out lies and distorts which ends up costing an individual her job. He has a history of doctoring videos. He's a punk.