Cooper vs Johnson Central 8/28

Cooper got a game with JCH to replace Shawnee ! Dont know if this was a good move or not ! From what I hear JCH are a veary good football team this year . Maybe this game will help them get ready . Shawnee didnt help with that last year .

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson Central likes to run on first-second-third and fourth down. In my opinion they are a very well coached football team by Coach Matney. Cooper had better be ready.

Joke to myself-can't imagine a school switching schedules-unheard of.:sssh:

One of the nicest places to play a football game at in Kentucky. Outstanding folks in the press box and fans in the stands. The Eagles play smash mouth football and play hard each and every play, so buckle your chin straps tight Cooper and get ready to play.

One of the nicest places to play a football game at in Kentucky. Outstanding folks in the press box and fans in the stands. The Eagles play smash mouth football and play hard each and every play, so buckle your chin straps tight Cooper and get ready to play.

As per the bolded , what exactly does that mean ? I heard that term used last year and it seems like only the mountain teams use that term. Please explain.

As per the bolded , what exactly does that mean ? I heard that term used last year and it seems like only the mountain teams use that term. Please explain.

Please see "smash mouth football" definition below:

Designating or of a style of football characterized by rough, aggressive play and, typically, strong offensive rushing.

Designating or of a style of football characterized by rough, aggressive play and, typically, strong offensive rushing.

With all respect Roman Empire, I get the point that hbf is making and I agree with it. I know you are just giving the generic description of "smash mouth" football but I find that description to be sort of funny. I'm assuming by "strong offensive rushing", you mean lining up and just pounding the ball between the tackles. My bigguns can beat your bigguns and my running backs can run over your linebackers. If my assumption is incorrect, I apologize but that's how I've heard a lot of people try to explain "smash mouth" football. If people don't think there is rough, aggressive play even when an O lineman is pass blocking they are wrong. Some of my mountain fan brethern referred to Highlands O as "finesse" not "smash mouth" a couple of years ago. Try telling that to the defensive lineman that got knocked on his fanny when he got trapped block by a Highlands O linemen running the counter in Highlands "finesse" O. :D I don't think any one called Highlands O smash mouth last year leading into the state game, but we kind of ran the ball pretty well in that game and our linemen were rough and aggressive. Yet our O was not any thing near what some people mistakenly consider to be "smash mouth" football. Any high quality football team will have rough, aggressive play on O regardless of the type of O they run. If you saw my son's helmet after last season's "finesse" O, you'd understand where I am coming from. Decals destroyed, deep gashes, lots of colors from opposing teams' helmets, and a face mask severely bent in a couple of places.

The smash mouth stuff in my opinion is a bunch of hooey, used by certain coaches and fans to try and motivate their players to play harder or to find some type of identity. To think that only teams that line up and try to run the ball between the tackles 9 out of 10 plays are the only ones with rough aggressive play is wrong in my opinion.

With all respect Roman Empire, I get the point that hbf is making and I agree with it. I know you are just giving the generic description of "smash mouth" football but I find that description to be sort of funny. I'm assuming by "strong offensive rushing", you mean lining up and just pounding the ball between the tackles. My bigguns can beat your bigguns and my running backs can run over your linebackers. If my assumption is incorrect, I apologize but that's how I've heard a lot of people try to explain "smash mouth" football. If people don't think there is rough, aggressive play even when an O lineman is pass blocking they are wrong. Some of my mountain fan brethern referred to Highlands O as "finesse" not "smash mouth" a couple of years ago. Try telling that to the defensive lineman that got knocked on his fanny when he got trapped block by a Highlands O linemen running the counter in Highlands "finesse" O. :D I don't think any one called Highlands O smash mouth last year leading into the state game, but we kind of ran the ball pretty well in that game and our linemen were rough and aggressive. Yet our O was not any thing near what some people mistakenly consider to be "smash mouth" football. Any high quality football team will have rough, aggressive play on O regardless of the type of O they run. If you saw my son's helmet after last season's "finesse" O, you'd understand where I am coming from. Decals destroyed, deep gashes, lots of colors from opposing teams' helmets, and a face mask severely bent in a couple of places.

The smash mouth stuff in my opinion is a bunch of hooey, used by certain coaches and fans to try and motivate their players to play harder or to find some type of identity. To think that only teams that line up and try to run the ball between the tackles 9 out of 10 plays are the only ones with rough aggressive play is wrong in my opinion.

I completely agree with you here. The game is violent regardless of "style" of play. Was just giving out the definition per Webster's.

Seems to me that definition describes 99.9% of all the football teams I have ever seen. Most (and I said most) high school teams are run oriented . Can you name some high school teams that this definition doesn't describe.

Seems to me that definition describes 99.9% of all the football teams I have ever seen. Most (and I said most) high school teams are run oriented . Can you name some high school teams that this definition doesn't describe.

Two that come to mind off the top of my head are CCH and Conner. Both utilize the spread/west coast offense and are not what I would describe as a "smash mouth" style. Conversely, I would characterize Boone as a prototypical "smash mouth" team. They love to run the football and control clock and wear down their opposing D. Only pass when necessary.

It seems that some may be taking offense to someone saying a team is "Smash mouth". It doesn't mean aggressive, any team can be aggressive no matter what kind of offense they run. Smash Mouth is general thought of as a team that runs primarily between the tackles and everyone know they are going to run between the tackles and it causes the offense to place most of their blockers there, as well as the defense to place most of their defenders there - Smash Mouth - everyone is getting hit in the mouth, not many sweeps, not many passes, not many of anything except running up the middle. That is the way the term is used in my area.

It seems that some may be taking offense to someone saying a team is "Smash mouth". It doesn't mean aggressive, any team can be aggressive no matter what kind of offense they run. Smash Mouth is general thought of as a team that runs primarily between the tackles and everyone know they are going to run between the tackles and it causes the offense to place most of their blockers there, as well as the defense to place most of their defenders there - Smash Mouth - everyone is getting hit in the mouth, not many sweeps, not many passes, not many of anything except running up the middle. That is the way the term is used in my area.

I'm certainly not taking offense to any one saying a team is "smash mouth". What you describe as "smash mouth" I describe as a straight ahead running team. The connotation given to teams that run smash mouth by fans of those teams is that their players are some how tougher, hit harder an/or more aggressive than players on teams that don't just line up and run the ball straight ahead. That I find silly and untrue and was the point I was trying to make.

And what are you doing contributing to the hijacking of a thread? LOL!