Cooper vs Johnson Central 8/28

I'm certainly not taking offense to any one saying a team is "smash mouth". What you describe as "smash mouth" I describe as a straight ahead running team. The connotation given to teams that run smash mouth by fans of those teams is that their players are some how tougher, hit harder an/or more aggressive than players on teams that don't just line up and run the ball straight ahead. That I find silly and untrue and was the point I was trying to make.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you taking offense, but you did voice a displeasure with the term as it relates to your team. I was only giving an explanation as to what the term means in my area of the state. I don't know of anyone that uses it to describe the aggressiveness or toughness of a team. Moreover, I know of it being routinely used to describe the type of offense a team uses - running a lot between the tackles. That's all, nothing more.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two that come to mind off the top of my head are CCH and Conner. Both utilize the spread/west coast offense and are not what I would describe as a "smash mouth" style. Conversely, I would characterize Boone as a prototypical "smash mouth" team. They love to run the football and control clock and wear down their opposing D. Only pass when necessary.

So if this "smash mouth" football style is so great , how many state titles have they recieved by playing this style of football ?

Edited by Birdsfan

Johnson Central will be one of the best teams in Eastern Kentucky this year. They are a very physical football team that can eat up clock on time consuming drives and limit an opponets offensive touches. The key to Johnson Central's season will be limiting turnovers. If they are capable of keeping the turnovers at a minimum then the Eagles could find themselves looking at the Blubirds of Highlands come the regional championship.

I do not think that Cooper will be able to slow down JC, but Jim Matney coached teams always get better and better as the year goes on. Playing them early will give Cooper a puncher's chance.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you taking offense, but you did voice a displeasure with the term as it relates to your team. I was only giving an explanation as to what the term means in my area of the state. I don't know of anyone that uses it to describe the aggressiveness or toughness of a team. Moreover, I know of it being routinely used to describe the type of offense a team uses - running a lot between the tackles. That's all, nothing more.

Agreed!

Johnson Central will be one of the best teams in Eastern Kentucky this year. They are a very physical football team that can eat up clock on time consuming drives and limit an opponets offensive touches. The key to Johnson Central's season will be limiting turnovers. If they are capable of keeping the turnovers at a minimum then the Eagles could find themselves looking at the Blubirds of Highlands come the regional championship.

I do not think that Cooper will be able to slow down JC, but Jim Matney coached teams always get better and better as the year goes on. Playing them early will give Cooper a puncher's chance.

I too think JC will be one of the best team in E.Ky this year. With their QB returning (assuming Matney doesn't start someone else in that position), I have to assume they will have much fewer fumbles towards the beginning of the season than last year. I base that assumption on the assumption that in JC's O, the qb has to make a lot of fast reads to determine is his is to leave or pull out the ball. With a new qb, I can see that taking some time to learn to make the reads and for the qb and the backs to get the feel of one another and until that happens, a lot of fumbles happening.

This is a big step for Cooper playing a loaded JC team.

Agreed!

This is a great move by Cooper. JC is a great team and will offer invaluable information in regard to the direction Cooper is going throughout the season. Best of luck to both teams.

Hope this helps them get ready for Boone, Conner , Sk , CCH and Ryle last year was a joke in 6A. The ony teams they played good was the smaller schools . Would be nice to see them win a district game or two .

Sorry if I disagree with you, but 6A was no joke for Cooper last year with the exception of SK and Ryle. Cooper was competitive against Conner, Boone, and Campbell County....I do agree with others though, Cooper will be much improved this year and this will be a nice test to see how much further they have too go. I have heard nothing but good things about the JC RB's, it will be nice to watch them and Bradley romping around that field!!! Best of luck too both teams

:ylsuper:

So if this "smash mouth" football style is so great , how many state titles have they received by playing this style of football ?

Think about any team that has a running offense: Wishbone, Wing T, Straight T, Power I, I, Single Wing, Double Wing, Belly, Triple Option, or any other primarily Run offense. Those are the teams we are talking about.

Russell, Belfry, St Xavier to name a few.

Sorry if I disagree with you, but 6A was no joke for Cooper last year with the exception of SK and Ryle. Cooper was competitive against Conner, Boone, and Campbell County....I do agree with others though, Cooper will be much improved this year and this will be a nice test to see how much further they have too go. I have heard nothing but good things about the JC RB's, it will be nice to watch them and Bradley romping around that field!!! Best of luck too both teams

:ylsuper:

Adding the scores of the Conner and Boone vs. Cooper it was 54-10. I'm pretty sure both Boone and Conner handled Cooper extremely easily last year. Only team they got close to in the district was Campbell. Same will happen this year, maybe they will pull a little closer with Conner but i'm still seeing a loss there. Not seeing a district win for Cooper until the 2011 season. Sorry