Underrated Presidents

Who was the most underrated president of the 20th Century? I say Richard Nixon. He actually got a lot accomplished in the world of foreign policy, expeciialy opening up communication with China.

Who would you say?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the most underrated president of the 20th Century? I say Richard Nixon. He actually got a lot accomplished in the world of foreign policy, expeciialy opening up communication with China.

Who would you say?

I can't say that at all about Nixon. He manipulated Vietnam to his benefit before finally pulling us out IMO. He ruined the hope of many who saw politics as an honorable field but saw such corruption laid bare by his Administration that I believe the stain of distrust still carries its scars to this day. I'm sorry but there's little to make him a viable candidate IMO.

Go and read some about Cal Coolidge. Restored confidence in the Presidency, kept his mouth shut, delegated authority, kept his hands off of commerce. I think his legacy is mischaracterized as being responsible for the Great Depression during the first year of Hoover's term, but I don't think that's so. Underrated.

Go and read some about Cal Coolidge. Restored confidence in the Presidency, kept his mouth shut, delegated authority, kept his hands off of commerce. I think his legacy is mischaracterized as being responsible for the Great Depression during the first year of Hoover's term, but I don't think that's so. Underrated.

Might have to agree with you there. LBJ and Truman also make my list.

On the bolded, hence the nickname.

Who would you say?

My parents kept two newspapers on display in their house. First was the end of WWII.

The other was "Nixon Resigns."

I can't say that at all about Nixon. He manipulated Vietnam to his benefit before finally pulling us out IMO. He ruined the hope of many who saw politics as an honorable field but saw such corruption laid bare by his Administration that I believe the stain of distrust still carries its scars to this day. I'm sorry but there's little to make him a viable candidate IMO.

:thumb: Nixon's cynicism and corrupt paranoia has indeed been a stain on this country's history. Not to mention the release of records from his time have only confirmed the racism his critics accused him of.

Bill Clinton is IMO the most underrated. His morals issues clouded an excellent 8 years. The most ironic thing about the Clinton era is that the liberal label was built to a crescendo by Republicans during his terms and yet many of Clinton's accomplishments were clearly moderate or even conservative in nature. I sometimes joke with people that Clinton is one of the best Republican presidents of the last 50 years. And just to head off the almost sure response, those moderate/conservative programs were part of Clinton's campaign items and not the product of a Republican Congress in the last half of his presidency. But the Republican Congress surely helped Clinton to achieve what he did.

Bill Clinton is IMO the most underrated. His morals issues clouded an excellent 8 years. The most ironic thing about the Clinton era is that the liberal label was built to a crescendo by Republicans during his terms and yet many of Clinton's accomplishments were clearly moderate or even conservative in nature. I sometimes joke with people that Clinton is one of the best Republican presidents of the last 50 years. And just to head off the almost sure response, those moderate/conservative programs were part of Clinton's campaign items and not the product of a Republican Congress in the last half of his presidency. But the Republican Congress surely helped Clinton to achieve what he did.

What is it you believe he achieved?

What is it you believe he achieved?

Are you asking a serious question, brainwashed by Rush and crew or unable to be objective because of Clinton's immoral behavior? Either way, thanks for proving my point ... Clinton is incredibly underrated because he became the bullseye for Limbaugh and conservative talk hosts on radio and TV.