Memo to LeBron: MJ Is Doing Fine Without Your Help

Filed at 4:27 a.m. ET

Memo to LeBron:

With all due respect, you're taking this ''King James'' thing too far.

Being a great player and one of the best talkers in the league doesn't mean every half-baked idea that pops into your head has to come out of your mouth. If all you want is a new number, say so. If it's more adulation, then just say that. There is enough of both left to go around.

If it's only the number, send a letter to the league office by March handing back No. 23, bring your marketing people into the loop and then show up next season -- wherever that turns out to be -- wearing No. 6.

It's that easy.

In the meantime, save your breath. Nobody is buying that cockamamie story about you wanting to make sure that Michael Jordan 's contributions to the game are ''recognized in some way -- soon.''

Jordan already has one of the most recognizable faces on the planet. He also owns six NBA rings, every other line in the record book, two Olympic golds, an NCAA championship, a statue in Chicago, a bust in the Hall of Fame and a fortune -- I could go on -- but perhaps most impressive, his name is, and always will be, part of the conversation whenever and wherever basketball is played.

He's done fine without your help.

And as long we're being brutally honest, the one thing you could do for him is to hang onto your old number. More than a few of us see it on your back and think, ''That No. 23 is incredible ... but he's no Michael Jordan.''

Link Is Here

Later.

Edited by bugatti

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

''I feel like no NBA player should wear 23,'' you said. ''Nobody. If I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it.''

I haven't been keeping up with this whole Lebron retiring MJ's number saga, but...

...did he really say that?

I don't see why he wouldn't wear #23, I mean Jordan had his moments and was recently up on stage putting everyone in their place. If he don't want to wear because he feels that strongly about it then fine, but I will still wear #23 in Church League Basketball no matter who use to wear it, and Lebron can stop calling me asking me not to wear it anymore.

''I feel like no NBA player should wear 23,'' you said. ''Nobody. If I'm not going to wear No. 23, then nobody else should be able to wear it.''

I haven't been keeping up with this whole Lebron retiring MJ's number saga, but...

...did he really say that?

How could anyone like that cocky jerk, who hasn't even won a ring yet.

He's got one of those personalities that people either like or love. He's my favorite athlete, but I don't know that I would like him that much off the court.

If you were running in his circle, you'd love him.:D I know I would and I'd be just as cocky as him....for no reason other than he is my friend and knows my first name. I'd happily play the role of Turtle in his entourage. :ylsuper:

For the record, MJ is the cockiest athlete to ever walk this planet. EVER.

If you were running in his circle, you'd love him.:D I know I would and I'd be just as cocky as him....for no reason other than he is my friend and knows my first name. I'd happily play the role of Turtle in his entourage. :ylsuper:

:lol: Yeah you're probably right.

MJ probably is the cockiest ever, but LeBron has to be the most arrogant of this era IMO.

MJ earned the right. Lebron, to date, has not. Huge difference.

MJ earned the right. Lebron, to date, has not. Huge difference.

He has a right to be cocky IMO. He has averaged a stat line the last couple of years that hasn't been rivaled since Oscar Robertson was lacing up his Chuck Taylors, he's the league's most talked about player, many consider him the best in the game, and the entire 2010 offseason is named after him with the "Summer of LeBron". He may not be a champion, but he is a great basketball player and I don't think his arrogance is unfounded. Maybe he's too cocky, but he is a good enough basketball player to have a little swagger IMO.

He has a right to be cocky IMO. He has averaged a stat line the last couple of years that hasn't been rivaled since Oscar Robertson was lacing up his Chuck Taylors, he's the league's most talked about player, many consider him the best in the game, and the entire 2010 offseason is named after him with the "Summer of LeBron". He may not be a champion, but he is a great basketball player and I don't think his arrogance is unfounded. Maybe he's too cocky, but he is a good enough basketball player to have a little swagger IMO.

Why, because he had swine flu? Until Kobe Bryant retires, this guy shouldn't even be mentioned. At least both Magic and Bird won NBA championships. The Kobe/Lebron rivalry (which isn't really a rivalry, because Lebron knows better) is all one sided.