Steelers 13 Titans 10 OT

KNOWITALL

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steelers have got to block better for Big Ben if they want him to make it through the season. He got hit a lot tonight. Fast Willie Parker never got it in gear either. Santonio was a stud continuing right were he left off in the Super Bowl.

I disagree. Big Ben gets hit so much because he holds onto the ball to long in order to try and extend the play. You can't expect the offensive line to be able to block for 5-7 seconds.

4. Kerry Collins is just as steady as you could possibly ask. He held the ball just until the right time, hit his open receivers. He is 400 times a better option than VY for anyone who doubted. And what the flip was VY listening to with his earphones in on the sideline? Please tell me that Sybil wasn't tuned in to his Ipod and was listening to game chatter of some kind. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

Doc, I believe those iPod looking headphones are just headsets connected to the booth. I've noticed them more and more over the last couple seasons, although mostly on players rather than coaches. Of course they could be fakes...:lol:

Steelers with no running game.

Just like last year. I hoped for their sake, it would be better, but if last night is any indication, ... it is really bad. The pass blocking is really not too bad, but Ben does hold on to the ball longer than most and it makes it tougher on the O line. But while their pass blocking isn't bad, they don't seem to run block very nearly as well. Also, the backs seem to be missing some seams when they do pop up and can't seem to break from the initial tackler to pick up a lot of positive yards.

The defense is still amazing.

I didn't understand why at the end of regulation, moving down the field in the 2 minute offense and being very effective, .. they went away from it and back to the run. I know you want to kill some clock, but they had a golden opportunity to put it in the end zone and put it in the hands of their defense (which is always a good idea in Pittsburg). I know that Ward fumbled, but leading up to that, I didn't like the sudden switch. Until they get a running game, Ben and the WRs will have to carry the load on the offensive side.

Doc, I believe those iPod looking headphones are just headsets connected to the booth. I've noticed them more and more over the last couple seasons, although mostly on players rather than coaches. Of course they could be fakes...:lol:

Still doesn't look good slouched over on the bench. Don't know any other backups not standing with the OC or head coach. Maybe I make too much out of it.

Still doesn't look good slouched over on the bench. Don't know any other backups not standing with the OC or head coach. Maybe I make too much out of it.

I am with you. If he wants to be the QB and a team leader, then you have to act like one. Sitting on the bench with an IPOD doesn't instill great confidence from your teammates that you can be 'the guy'.

Good post spindoc. I agree with almost everything in there.

Where was Limas Sweed? Is that Wallace guy ahead of him of him?

Sweed was on the field alot, never got a ball thrown his way that I recall. Wallace is, according to the training camp reports, the 2nd fastest guy on the team. Second to Ike Taylor. He had the 2nd fastest time in the 40 at the combine for WR. He made a clutch grab in OT to seal it. I hope he progresses, because he can sure stretch a field.

Agreed on Collinsworth...he is extremely annoying.

I was pleased with what I saw from Tennessee. I expect them to be among the best in the AFC, and based on last night, they should be right there. I thought they ran the ball well against one of the elite defenses in football. I thought the passing game also looked solid, and showed some potential to get better. Kenny Britt looked pretty good for a rookie in his first game...I like his potential. Also, a healthy Nate Washington will make a difference as well.

-I felt like the Titans were the better team for the majority of the game, but they made too many mistakes and squandered too many opportunities. The two botched FG's are the obvious. David Stewart had a bad night...his penalties were costly. One negated the PI on Polamalu that would have put Tennessee in the red zone. I thought the interference was a bad call, but nonetheless, it would have counted and put Tennessee in scoring position. The Scaife fumble also hurt because the Titans were looking sharp on that opening drive and it allowed Pittsburgh to regain the field position. It was similar to the playoff loss to Baltimore. On the second and 5, two plays before the blocked FG, Chris Johnson had the corner, IMO. He cut it back insided, but if he'd stayed outside, I think the Titans had everyone blocked...that should have been six for the Titans.

-P'burgh's much maligned offensive line really stood tall at the end. Ben had all day to throw...the only time Tennessee got pressure or sacked him was when he actually took all day to throw.

-Finally, and I'm not saying this in hindsight. I was saying it last night with 51 seconds to play. Tennessee should have attempted to win the game after the Ward fumble. They had 51 seconds and three TO's. Big Ben was picking them apart at that point. They should have taken their shot at a win when they got that chance. Even if they won the coin toss in OT, they'd have still faced the same situation...only 10-15 yards closer. I realize there's risk, but as Herm said, "You play to win the game!" (Of course, I have no doubt that Herm would have done the same thing as Fisher did last night.)

-Polamalu's interception was a tremendous play. I don't like the idea of throwing a jump ball to a rookie WR against the league's second best safety. Last night should be a valuable learning experience for Britt.

-I hope last night wasn't a sign of things to come for the Titans kicking game. A missed FG, a blocked FG, and a shanked punt that set P'burgh up with a short field to win the game. Really, really bad.

Good game. Good win for the Steelers. Tennessee has to eliminate the mistakes and start closing these games out. You don't get points for moving the ball and playing better between the 20's.