Christian music festival was a scam

Aiden Seamus

I would say that Christian music is the biggest scam of any. The Christian music scene preys on a ready made audience that will listen to anything based on the message it has with a complete disregard towards the quality of music. To me that is the biggest scam there is, trying to pass off a "message" as "music".

The message argument is especially weak when you look at genres such as southern gospel, where good music actually exists.

I think we need to define the difference between "Christian" music and "Gospel". There are people out there that group any and all together.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to it. This further affirms my belief that contemporary Christian musicians are just feeding off of a ready made audience. The vocals are horrible, the arrangement is poor, and this isn't remotely music. It is the same crappy music that I heard at numerous church camps during my youth. If people want to listen to this that's fine. They should just realize that they are keeping a genre alive that wouldn't exist if not for ingenuous Christians.

I listen to bands like the Blind Boys of Alabama on a frequent basis so it's not that I'm against Christian themed music, I am just against bad music.

As far as your disdain towards rappers, Outkast has forgotten more about good music than this band ever knew.

P.S. After a 4th consecutive listen it hasn't gotten any better, my dog is giving me weird looks, and I can now sing the whole song. Though I do believe that sometimes the first time you hear something you don't immediately like it (as was the case with Jazz and I). I am still willing to listen to anything someone suggests as sometimes you need the right song.

You're whole theory of a "ready-made" audience is flawed as well. Using your criteria, anyone who loves hearing about drug use will love songs about it. Right?

You're whole theory of a "ready-made" audience is flawed as well. Using your criteria, anyone who loves hearing about drug use will love songs about it. Right?
How is it flawed? There are a lot of Christians that are salivating at the chance to add Christianity to another aspect of their lives with a total disregard for quality.

Could you expand on the second part of your statement?

There are alot of talented Christian bands. But there are a lot of crappy ones too. Alot probably do just use the "ready made audience". But, then again their are alot of crappy rock bands, pop singers and rappers.

This has been used frequently as an excuse, despite it being irrelevant to the question at hand. (Don't feel bad;you're not the first.)

But it's well-documented I have the same criticism for all crappy music, irrespective of genre. Bad music is bad music. Just because it sings about Jesus doesn't mean it gets an automatic pass.

This has been used frequently as an excuse, despite it being irrelevant to the question at hand. (Don't feel bad;you're not the first.)

But it's well-documented I have the same criticism for all crappy music, irrespective of genre. Bad music is bad music. Just because it sings about Jesus doesn't mean it gets an automatic pass.

How many Christian bands have you listened to in order to label the entire genre as a 'scam'? Just curious.

How many Christian bands have you listened to in order to label the entire genre as a 'scam'? Just curious.
I've been listening off and on all day (which should mean something since I JUST got a new cd I really like) and it is pretty bad.

I just heard a Stephanie Smith song, that while not something I would listen to personally or consider even consider that good, I could easily see that it's comparable to most of the alternative/pop/rock hodgepodge that is on the radio today. In fact, I had to double check I was on the right station and not DJX or something like that. I don't know if that's a compliment but it is definitely a step forward for Christian music. As most of the previous stuff I have heard from the genre isn't even as good as the normal crap on the airwaves.

But don't worry, I plan on listening for most of the day. I may even indulge in an adult beverage when I get off work to see if that can make it better.

I've been listening off and on all day (which should mean something since I JUST got a new cd I really like) and it is pretty bad.

I just heard a Stephanie Smith song, that while not something I would listen to personally or consider even consider that good, I could easily see that it's comparable to most of the alternative/pop/rock hodgepodge that is on the radio today. In fact, I had to double check I was on the right station and not DJX or something like that. I don't know if that's a compliment but it is definitely a step forward for Christian music. As most of the previous stuff I have heard from the genre isn't even as good as the normal crap on the airwaves.

But don't worry, I plan on listening for most of the day. I may even indulge in an adult beverage when I get off work to see if that can make it better.

That is some serious dedication my friend.

I'm not giving anyone a pass. I'm just saying all christian bands aren't terrible.