Holmes off the court encounter.

From Ryan Ernst blog:

There's this e-mail that has been making the rounds in the Covington School District. It was forwarded to me today from the Covington City Manager. It's from a lady from Menifee County, writing to Covington superintendent Lynda Jackson. The subject line is: Behavior. Here it is:

Ms. Jackson,

I wanted to write to you briefly and mention some behavior I witnessed from your Holmes High School boys' basketball team. First, congratulations on their state championship. To me, this was overshadowed by their behavior at the Golden Corral in Lexington on March 20. My husband and I had just started our lunch when we overheard a waitress mention that the empty tables next to us needed to be reserved for a basketball team. We both groaned at the thought of spending our lunch with rambunctious teenagers. After a few minutes of observing your tam, I must say we were both shocked and pleasantly surprised. In our professions of law enforcement and truancy, our experiences with teenagers have not always been good ones. Your players were well behaved, polite, kind and respectful. They treated the waitress with dignity and answered her with "thank yous" and "yes ma'ams." When a lady needed to pass a specific table, one of your players stood up and said, "excuse me ma'am." I almost fell out of my seat. While you have much to be proud of with a team that heralds "state champions," that is second to the pride you should feel in helping these young men become fine adults.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog06&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ade3ab7e7-5e43-4e32-8612-155786b59a09Post%3ad3e29ac6-8d66-4ae4-bcba-8838eb19d605&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

I'm torn on this type of story.

On the one hand its always good to see young men representing themselves, their school, and their families properly.

On the other hand, what does it say when we are moved to write a letter about common decency? I would have no less expectation of these boys than I would my own or any others.

On the one hand its always good to see young men representing themselves, their school, and their families properly.

On the other hand, what does it say when we are moved to write a letter about common decency? I would have no less expectation of these boys than I would my own or any others.

I agree, this should be a common occurance rather than a pleasant suprise. But unfortunately all too often there are negative experiences in such situations. Obviously this woman was so impacted by the encounter that she felt compelled to look up the name of an administrator and send them a note. I think it is a nice gesture from all involved.

Again congratulations to Holmes on the Sweer 16 title, BUTA this is the most important thing a player can learn! I have relatives who are connected to the Holmes team, and I have stayed after a few of their games for a few minutes as they waited for the team come out, I never witnessed a time that they were not polite and respectful. :thumb:

The coaching staff, and others, did a good job with this group! :thumb:

I agree, this should be a common occurance rather than a pleasant suprise. But unfortunately all too often there are negative experiences in such situations. Obviously this woman was so impacted by the encounter that she felt compelled to look up the name of an administrator and send them a note. I think it is a nice gesture from all involved.

It makes me very happy to read this kind of story. I applaud the lady for recognizing the player's good behavior. I would also add that this is some reflection on the value of participation in a team, whether basketball or anything else. These young men have gained exposure and responsibilities that they possibly would have not otherwise been afforded, and they responded very well.

I agree with you but over the years this kind of behavior hasn't always been the norm for the Holmes basketball team so I see this as a huge positive.

This is the norm not the exception with almost all the high school basketball teams I've seen. It has been very impressive and kudos to the coaches.

Many times the behavior off the court is better than on the court.

I agree with you but over the years this kind of behavior hasn't always been the norm for the Holmes basketball team so I see this as a huge positive.

I agree, and I know Coach Hensley is glad to see these kinds or reports. We don't see enough of them.:thumb:

What makes this a nice event, is that my entire family watched the game and was very proud that a team from NKY has brought the title back. It was a fun game to watch and then enjoying the article about the kids behavior. It looks like the coaching staff is doing the job on and off the court. Congrats to the boys, and even though we are not Holmes fans we were rooting loud that night. Keep up the good work.