Question for UK fans ...

westsider

Here's the difference in what you're saying, and what's being condoned. The players he let go played under him for a time period...of course that's different for each kid. But they had the opportunity to prove themselves. What's being condoned here is cutting kids who've been playing a year or more, without even the opportunity to play for Calipari and prove themselves. UK made a committment to those kids, just as they made a committment to UK. I understand there's a new coach. But I feel the kids came to UK, and they should have an opportunity to prove themselves.

I think most are misunderstanding the whole process. I think Coach Cal will indeed give most all of the current roster a chance to prove their keep. You can't just come in and go Rambo style right out of the gate. He may get rid of one or two players, and that was probably coming anyway.

Most of my references/examples are dealing with later on in the program...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most are misunderstanding the whole process. I think Coach Cal will indeed give most all of the current roster a chance to prove their keep. You can't just come in and go Rambo style right out of the gate. He may get rid of one or two players, and that was probably coming anyway.

Most of my references/examples are dealing with later on in the program...

Maybe I misunderstood some of the other posters. What I gleaned is that many were advocating cutting players now to make room for recruits.

At what point have I been disrespectful of your opinion? If you have some examples, please provide. I responded to LCPATS with my thoughts of a couple of examples. I'm open to discussion.

My point is it happens everywhere, and this is no different.

Find me a kid that has played for Cal that fits the description of Harrelson. The lack of athleticism at PG as Porter. I could see Galloway and maybe Stewart finding a role off the bench. I don't think Liggins has the head to run the show in the complicated system, but he could find a role on the wing as a slasher. Harris will stay if he wants as a SR.

It's a coaches job to know if talent fits his system, and if it's trial by error on kids you know won't fit there will not be much success. Add in that the kids we are talking about finding spots for are some of the best in the country and there you go...

Maybe I misunderstood some of the other posters. What I gleaned is that many were advocating cutting players now to make room for recruits.

No, I think that's what most are talking about. I think that is wishful thinking, I can't see it happening, like I said the other day, it would be a PR nightmare. It's just not reasonable...

No, I think that's what most are talking about. I think that is wishful thinking, I can't see it happening, like I said the other day, it would be a PR nightmare. It's just not reasonable...

Well, what I object to is that. I understand later changes. I have a huge objection to what's being hoped for in this thread.

My point is it happens everywhere, and this is no different.

Find me a kid that has played for Cal that fits the description of Harrelson. The lack of athleticism at PG as Porter. I could see Galloway and maybe Stewart finding a role off the bench. I don't think Liggins has the head to run the show in the complicated system, but he could find a role on the wing as a slasher. Harris will stay if he wants as a SR.

It's a coaches job to know if talent fits his system, and if it's trial by error on kids you know won't fit there will not be much success. Add in that the kids we are talking about finding spots for are some of the best in the country and there you go...

So, you think kids should be cut now to make room for recruits?

Not a UK fan but I'll give my thoughts. :D

You win big with elite talent, and right now UK has a serious void there. If that means some need to go to improve, so be it...

:thumb:

Right or wrong, I'm with you. It is what it is. Calipari is paid to win and the job demands results. He'd be crazy, IMO, not to make room for a talent upgrade. It's his head on the chopping block.

You can't demand the guy produce and then handcuff him by forcing him to turn away elite talent to keep NAIA guys on the roster.

Bottom line...if you're on an academic scholarship, there are certain criteria that must be met. Why should athletics be any different? If you aren't good enough, and some on UK's roster clearly aren't, Calipari shouldn't be or feel obligated to keep them on board.

JMO

Does nobody remember UK's powerhouse 1996 squad and how it was formed?

I seem to remember a player or two suddenly leaving UK and presto, we have one of the greatest college teams of all time.

From Cal's perspective, you can't bring him in to win and then handcuff him.

Do college's let kids on academic scholly's keep them when they don't meet the criteria if they're trying real hard?

You laugh. Go ahead. A kid has dicipline problems. He should go. A kid flat out can't play. He should go. A kid who's been on scholarship, has busted his butt, stayed out of trouble, is willing to do what the new coach wants, he should stay. Kids not even on scholarship or at school yet, decisions should be up to the coach. You guys are fine to just cut ties with the players who spent the last 3 years of turmoil. If BCG was so bad, maybe you might think that these players were under the wrong coach. You're ready to clean house and start over. And you don't even think about the personal aspect of it.

In a nut shell, don't try to get better and get back on top, cuz us UL fans don't want that?

In a nut shell, don't try to get better and get back on top, cuz us UL fans don't want that?

That's not it at all! I do not understand at all why any of this has to be turned into a "UL is scared" scenario. First, that's totally bogus. Second, I haven't stated one thing that isn't what I personally feel. I don't speak as a UL fan, or for UL fans. I speak on what I feel is fair in this situation. If you haven't read all my posts on the matter, I encourage you to do so. If you have, and this is your response, then I give up. I think there are some legitimate concerns about what's being condoned, and it it's reduced and twisted into some "UL is scared" response, then I have really wasted my time here.

It depends. They won't just take them and push them out the door. They will recommend other places if they aren't to Kentucky caliber and help them with their decision process.

Why not release them to go where they like, even if it's a UK caliber team, maybe even another SEC team? If they're not good enough for Kentucky, what's the liklihood of them being any threat somehwhere else? It's not their fault they were given a scholarship, then it was yanked. This could potentially be a serious blow to a kid's life. We're not talking just basketball here....we're talking about young men's lives.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think you misread the post by SSF. I read it as saying "not Kentucky caliber" to refer to the player, not the possible destination if transfering.

That's not it at all! I do not understand at all why any of this has to be turned into a "UL is scared" scenario. First, that's totally bogus. Second, I haven't stated one thing that isn't what I personally feel. I don't speak as a UL fan, or for UL fans. I speak on what I feel is fair in this situation. If you haven't read all my posts on the matter, I encourage you to do so. If you have, and this is your response, then I give up. I think there are some legitimate concerns about what's being condoned, and it it's reduced and twisted into some "UL is scared" response, then I have really wasted my time here.

Sorry for the confusion. It's just that this kinda stuff happens every year across the Country when a new coach is hired. Just don't recall so many UL fans so concerned about those other situations.:idunno::confused: