Question for UK fans ...

westsider

Does nobody remember UK's powerhouse 1996 squad and how it was formed?

I seem to remember a player or two suddenly leaving UK and presto, we have one of the greatest college teams of all time.

Rod Rhodes was one of them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the confusion. It's just that this kinda stuff happens every year across the Country when a new coach is hired. Just don't recall so many UL fans so concerned about those other situations.:idunno::confused:

Again, I'm not speaking as a UL fan. Just because I'm a UL fan doesn't mean I can't have an opinion that doesn't have anything to do with UL, does it?

If it is a clear upgrade in talent that will lead to a better chance to win, yes. They don't pay you 31 million to play with gloves on...

I'm with you. It's tough but it's a business. If there is any chance then I would keep the kid but it is what it is. I'd be furious as a parent but also know that is how it is. I think they should give them a chance to go find another school in time though. I guess they could go to walk on and stay around if they are dead set on UK right?

Maybe I misunderstood some of the other posters. What I gleaned is that many were advocating cutting players now to make room for recruits.
I think you're right ... to them, winning (and winning now) matters more than anything else. Edited by westsider

No, I think that's what most are talking about. I think that is wishful thinking, I can't see it happening, like I said the other day, it would be a PR nightmare. It's just not reasonable...
I think you're in the minority among Kentucky fans, many of whom would probably be critical of other programs for doing the same thing.

Not a UK fan but I'll give my thoughts. :D

You win big with elite talent, and right now UK has a serious void there. If that means some need to go to improve, so be it...

I agree. It is tough for the kids already here and I think everyone recognizes that. The new coach should have some ability to bring in his guys right away, however, especially when you consider that coaches can be fired without getting a full cycle of their own players through the program.

RM, right or wrong, the comment about "UK fans will do anything to win" is garbage because it is common for this to happen.

It does happen all the time, but it doesn't change the fact that UK will do anything to win. :D

For the record, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't want to see a kid get hung out to dry, and would hope they would indeed make some calls and find them a good fit elsewhere. Like GT said, warm and fuzzy goes out the door when you're getting paid $31m. Especially when it's at UK, where the fan base is as impatient and demanding as it gets.

It does happen all the time, but it doesn't change the fact that UK will do anything to win. :D

For the record, I don't really have a problem with it. I don't want to see a kid get hung out to dry, and would hope they would indeed make some calls and find them a good fit elsewhere. Like GT said, warm and fuzzy goes out the door when you're getting paid $31m. Especially when it's at UK, where the fan base is as impatient and demanding as it gets.

:thumb:

I think you nailed it Jim.

This kind of reminds me of Robbie Benson in "One on One".

"I want your scholarship."

Actually it's done a lot. Kid from Rockastle County gets football offer pulled by UL football.

Pitino shows Timberlake and Rhodes the door while at UK.

And Jonathon Davis. He is a friend of mine and Pitino lined up a year at Western KY for him, but J.D. declined and graduated from UK and has been successful. It happens alot.

Given the likely roster shakeup when Calipari gets a chance to evaluate UK's personnel, do any UK fans have any qualms about taking the scholarships of players already in the program, guys that had committed to play for the Wildcats?

Or is it all about the talent grab at this point?

Judging from comments made in other threads, I would say it's mostly about the talent grab for most UK fans.