Question for UK fans ...

westsider

Because UL would never do anything like overrecruit and shuffle players out? Come on RM. Pitino has like 15 kids to fit into 13 spots every recruiting class...

Pitino didn't come in and clean house when he came to Louisville. It's one thing to give a scholarship and take it a way before they get to campus. It's another to yank a scholarship of a player who's enrolled, played a year, two or three and yank it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because UL would never do anything like overrecruit and shuffle players out? Come on RM. Pitino has like 15 kids to fit into 13 spots every recruiting class...

RP doesn't mind telling someone to hit the road...

DC, Bender, Hurt, Daniels, Millard, Harvey, Johnson, Wade-just to name a few.

I think it's part of it, if a player doesn't fit the system, cut them lose.

:lol:

You laugh. Go ahead. A kid has dicipline problems. He should go. A kid flat out can't play. He should go. A kid who's been on scholarship, has busted his butt, stayed out of trouble, is willing to do what the new coach wants, he should stay. Kids not even on scholarship or at school yet, decisions should be up to the coach. You guys are fine to just cut ties with the players who spent the last 3 years of turmoil. If BCG was so bad, maybe you might think that these players were under the wrong coach. You're ready to clean house and start over. And you don't even think about the personal aspect of it.

There's more to some of those players' being let go than just Pitino not thinking they fit the system. Take DC. Pitino tried hard to help that kid, but DC had no desire to make the attitude changes needed. Same with Bender.

Pitino didn't come in and clean house when he came to Louisville. It's one thing to give a scholarship and take it a way before they get to campus. It's another to yank a scholarship of a player who's enrolled, played a year, two or three and yank it.

So there's not been a single kid under Pitino that left after year 1 and beyond because they simply weren't good enough to see the floor? Right...

There's more to some of those players' being let go than just Pitino not thinking they fit the system. Take DC. Pitino tried hard to help that kid, but DC had no desire to make the attitude changes needed. Same with Bender.

Rockmom, you know I am a huge UofL fan. We would be naive to think RP doesn't get rid of kids after a year. DC is a different case, but the others just didn't fit.

BTW, I would of liked to of keep Lo Wade. He turned out to be very good at SDSU, most have him getting drafted pretty early.

I don't really have a problem with it. I didn't get a scholarship for not playing ball, nobody cried for me. Yes I would agree that there is an element of having something "taken" from them. But at the end of the day, most players at UK, even if they aren't at UK standards, could probably pick up a scholarship at a smaller school. As a coach I would tell them I don't see them playing, and assist them in making a transfer.

You laugh. Go ahead. A kid has dicipline problems. He should go. A kid flat out can't play. He should go. A kid who's been on scholarship, has busted his butt, stayed out of trouble, is willing to do what the new coach wants, he should stay. Kids not even on scholarship or at school yet, decisions should be up to the coach. You guys are fine to just cut ties with the players who spent the last 3 years of turmoil. If BCG was so bad, maybe you might think that these players were under the wrong coach. You're ready to clean house and start over. And you don't even think about the personal aspect of it.

That's the problem. Our roster is loaded with kids that can't contribute and won't fit in Cal's system.

You're telling me that if UL had the possibility of landing 2 top 10 players that you wouldn't hope that 2 people that didn't contribute much would transfer ?

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I want the school that I support to be as competitive as possible.

Not a UK fan but I'll give my thoughts. :D

You win big with elite talent, and right now UK has a serious void there. If that means some need to go to improve, so be it...

:thumb:

The players who are going to be seniors and have been there for 3 years should have the opportunity to finish their careers at UK.

This makes me feel better for the seniors, but it is a bonus that I didnt really expect.

:thumb:

I bow once again to non-UK fans that call it like they see it. I may not always like the answer, but I know the opinion will be unbiased.:notworthy:

That's the problem. Our roster is loaded with kids that can't contribute and won't fit in Cal's system.

You're telling me that if UL had the possibility of landing 2 top 10 players that you wouldn't hope that 2 people that didn't contribute much would transfer ?

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I want the school that I support to be as competitive as possible.

I understand. But how can one say that these kids you have won't fit his system? They have tried to fit one or two other systems, and it didn't work. From what I've read, BCG's system isn't one anyone agreed with anyway. Isn't it possible that under Calipari, they'll be exactly what you'd hoped? Shouldn't they have the opportunity to actually prove themselves under Calipari? To be cut loose without even the opportunity to prove themselves just does NOT come off as at all...I don't know....ethical isn't the right word...but something like that.

So there's not been a single kid under Pitino that left after year 1 and beyond because they simply weren't good enough to see the floor? Right...

At what point have I been disrespectful of your opinion? If you have some examples, please provide. I responded to LCPATS with my thoughts of a couple of examples. I'm open to discussion.

Rockmom, you know I am a huge UofL fan. We would be naive to think RP doesn't get rid of kids after a year. DC is a different case, but the others just didn't fit.

BTW, I would of liked to of keep Lo Wade. He turned out to be very good at SDSU, most have him getting drafted pretty early.

Here's the difference in what you're saying, and what's being condoned. The players he let go played under him for a time period...of course that's different for each kid. But they had the opportunity to prove themselves. What's being condoned here is cutting kids who've been playing a year or more, without even the opportunity to play for Calipari and prove themselves. UK made a committment to those kids, just as they made a committment to UK. I understand there's a new coach. But I feel the kids came to UK, and they should have an opportunity to prove themselves.

Well, now I realize....UK fans will do anything to win.

Playing basketball in college is a priviledge not a right. You don't play well enough, barring injury, the year-to-year scholly can be and should be pullled. If you don't get the job done, your boss will find someone else who will (See Billy Gillispie). It is called the REAL WORLD!