Top CovCath squads in the recent past

jbwill2

Pat VanSant was not the only sophomore that contributed in '06. Most forget that Kyle Bruner, a sophomore, was on the D line against Lex Cath and gave their QB heck in the 4th quarter. Sacked the quarterback twice and pressured him the other two plays in a crucial drive. He is one of the many reasons CovCath defeated LexCath at their place.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still amazes me about the 1992 Cov Cath team that didn't win the title. They were loaded with seniors Adam McCormick,Chad Cogswell and Jude Hoffmen. They had a pretty good defense as well. They beat us 53-9 that year. I'm pretty sure they were undefeated going into the playoffs. I think if they had won state that year they would have gone down as one of the Best teams in Nky history.

It still amazes me about the 1992 Cov Cath team that didn't win the title. They were loaded with seniors Adam McCormick,Chad Cogswell and Jude Hoffmen. They had a pretty good defense as well. They beat us 53-9 that year. I'm pretty sure they were undefeated going into the playoffs. I think if they had won state that year they would have gone down as one of the Best teams in Nky history.

Agreed, they were pretty darn tough. I have some old news footage around here somewhere and it shows Ryan Grimm taking a punt and returning it about 60 yards for a TD. I'm almost positive that Bill Hemmer, who was then with Ch 9 and who is now with CNN was doing the coverage of the game as well. What a fun game that was... Jason(Big Daddy)Sullivan intercepted a McCormick pass in the Endzone late in the game to seal the deal. :banana:

Was that against Conner? The Cougars gave them all they wanted that game.

Correct ..... a slip -- and a catch that went to the house from about 40 yards out because of that slip was the difference with about 5-6 minutes to go in the game. (Funny how the field had a foot of mud .. when it hadn't rained in a month .... ha, ha!)

The 92 team was better than 93 (and for all of you that say that you can't believe that Cov Cath didn't win state that year--you probably didn't have to play that Highlands team from 92). I know Cov Cath won in the regular season ... but the Highlands team that ended up beating them in 92 was loaded with a boatload of D1 talent. Schlarman, Berringer, Reynolds, Scarlato, Huddleston ...... murders row.

So one mans opinion:

92 was better than 93

93 was better than 94

92 would have beat 06 (which was better than 93 and 94).

Correct ..... a slip -- and a catch that went to the house from about 40 yards out because of that slip was the difference with about 5-6 minutes to go in the game. (Funny how the field had a foot of mud .. when it hadn't rained in a month .... ha, ha!)

The 92 team was better than 93 (and for all of you that say that you can't believe that Cov Cath didn't win state that year--you probably didn't have to play that Highlands team from 92). I know Cov Cath won in the regular season ... but the Highlands team that ended up beating them in 92 was loaded with a boatload of D1 talent. Schlarman, Berringer, Reynolds, Scarlato, Huddleston ...... murders row.

So one mans opinion:

92 was better than 93

93 was better than 94

I agree with you that Highlands was a great team. I know it was only a scrimmage that but we did scrimmage the Bluebirds. I guess Duffy wasn't happy with the way his team played against us in that game because right when we left he had them during sprints on their little field. The 92 Cov Cath team has to be one of the best teams never to win State. Quick ask Gregg how tough that 92 Cov Cath team was. I know he took a lot of shots in that game when they beat us 53-9.

Trust me, Highland's fans understand CCH's fans' pain on this matter. The 1997 Highlands squad was undefeated against KY competition (including a win against CCH) during the regular season, with the only blemish being a ONE-POINT loss to Cincy Moeller. This was the year that Lorenzen and Smith were juniors... the team won state in 1996 and then in 1998, 1999 and 2000... if not for a double-OT loss to CCH in the "Mud Bowl" (with CCH then going on to win state), the Bluebirds would most likely has racked up FIVE straight Class 3A state titles... man that still hurts.

Trust me, Highland's fans understand CCH's fans' pain on this matter. The 1997 Highlands squad was undefeated against KY competition (including a win against CCH) during the regular season, with the only blemish being a ONE-POINT loss to Cincy Moeller. This was the year that Lorenzen and Smith were juniors... the team won state in 1996 and then in 1998, 1999 and 2000... if not for a double-OT loss to CCH in the "Mud Bowl" (with CCH then going on to win state), the Bluebirds would most likely has racked up FIVE straight Class 3A state titles... man that still hurts.

Don't forget about 1995. We were about 2 quarters away from winning that State Title. Bowling Green just had a much stronger team. From 1995-2000 was a nice run. So close but........

So one mans opinion:

92 was better than 93

93 was better than 94

The 92 Highlands team was loaded, that's for sure. That game in Park Hills that Sat afternoon in the playoffs was one of my best memories of HHS/CovCath matchups. There were some studs on the field from both sides of the ball.:thumb:

That was another infamous mud bowl game in 92.

What!!!! Weren't you still singing the Isty Bitsy Spider then. Yeah it was muddy. It always rained on CovCath Sat. We always knew that going in. The only year it didn't rain was 1997 that I can remember.:D It was 80 degrees and Sunny that one October afternoon.

What!!!! Weren't you still singing the Isty Bitsy Spider then. Yeah it was muddy. It always rained on CovCath Sat. We always knew that going in. The only year it didn't rain was 1997 that I can remember.:D It was 80 degrees and Sunny that one October afternoon.

I was there for that game in 92. In 95 regular season it was a sunny day. That is when we beat up on the colonels pretty good and Gary Schrader had to fill in to be the head coach. Dale was in New York for a funeral.

When did CovCath stop playing football games on Friday night. What year was that?

They traditionally would only play their 1st 1-2 home games of the year on Fridays and start them at 5:30 so they could finish before it got dark.

I believe they stopped in like 2002.