February 14, 200917 yr Your media view aside, Les, is it right for John Clay (media rep) to act toward a coach like the coach is acting toward the media? Is it apples and oranges? If not, should Clay be a media member, according to the criteria you just laid down? Did you ever see some of the stuff Bobby Knight pulled with the media? I have seen him berate many people with press credentials. I have watched him bring his lunch to press confrences. I have seen him accuse people of being stupid. (I think you'll agree he was a top-notch coach.) Pitino did the same thing the other night. What about Spurrier in football with the media? I think there are a lot of top-notchers who act badly toward the people in your profession. May not be right, but it does happen at every level.
February 14, 200917 yr Billy Clyde Gillispie fails to understand that he is grossly overcompensated (2 million + per year) to live and work (can you call it that) at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky..........the home of: Great basketball Beautiful Horses Fast Women Fine Bourbon It seems obvious he likes all the above! For some of the trivial things that he doesn't care for (like speaking to the Rotary Club, and interviewing with Jeannine Edwards at halftime), he needs to realize that the alternative for him might be living in a double wide back in West Texas, coaching basketball at Northwest Eastern Texas State Junior College, and making $12,500.00 per year. I bet the coach there doesn't have to do inconvenient fund raisers or uncomfortable interviews at halftime. John Clay is dead on correct in his article! I totally agree and maybe if Billy G gets back on the good side of Jeannine she could give him some tips on what to do in the second half. It's obvious he dosn't know what to do. When guys like Harris and Porter have 5 turnovers each in the 1st half how do you start them in the second half.
February 14, 200917 yr From what i see i just think BG is in a hurry to get in the locker room with his team. He dosent like being stopped and although he should just decline the interview, i dont think he purposely comes off as a jerk, he just wants to get on with it and not answer dumb questions.
February 15, 200917 yr The first question that he said was a bad question pretty much was him just being a baby. She was right they were limiting Jodie Meeks and if you've watched UK they are closer to being the University of Jodie Meeks than the UK Wildcats. It was just embarrassing for him and the team in my opinion.
February 16, 200917 yr I could care less, he can be a jerk during an interview if he wants to as long as the CATS win. :thumb: Exactly, I actually chuckled, both interviews.
February 17, 200917 yr Nothing. He just doesn't like doing them, and this is his way of showing it. Don't get me wrong — the halftime interview is completely stupid and viewers/listeners glean absolutely nothing from the guarded comments the coach provides. But it's still his job. And I'm betting those of you giving him a pass on this — (*cough* LMB!) — would probably be all over any other coach not from UK had they done this. Bottom line is it's just nasty and more than just a little bit childish to be like that, no matter who's doing it. Honest question: is it truly his job? Are coaches required to do the interviews (which I also think are stupid and really don't provide any insight whatsoever to the watching fans)?
February 17, 200917 yr Honest question: is it truly his job? Are coaches required to do the interviews (which I also think are stupid and really don't provide any insight whatsoever to the watching fans)? Coaches are expected to deal with the media in a professiona manner. Obviously, this is somewhere that Bobby Knight fell short, and while I think BCG has been unprofessional in this area on more than one occasion, ... he is an amateur in being rough with reporters compared to the General. Compared to Knight, he almost seems kind!
February 17, 200917 yr Which is what I said. He shouldn't have told her that. But I didn't have any problems with what he said on Tuesday night because he felt like it was an inaccurate statement. Its the media's job to be accurate. He was quoted the day before the UF game talking about Calathes' "vision." She asked about his "vision." How was she not accurate?
February 17, 200917 yr Whether he likes it or not, this is part of the job, dealing with the media. I have also heard him get smart with Tom Leach during pretaped pregame interviews, so it isn't just a spur of the moment thing with BCG. This shouldn't be part of his job in the middle of his ACTUAL job coaching! He was hired to coach a team not do halftime interviews. Save interviews for after the game coaches have enough to think about without some reporter wanting an interview while he is planning for the second half!
February 17, 200917 yr This shouldn't be part of his job in the middle of his ACTUAL job coaching! He was hired to coach a team not do halftime interviews. Save interviews for after the game coaches have enough to think about without some reporter wanting an interview while he is planning for the second half! You do realize money talks, and the SEC is getting it in spades from ESPN, right???
February 17, 200917 yr He was quoted the day before the UF game talking about Calathes' "vision." She asked about his "vision." How was she not accurate? If I am not mistaken she said that his plan was to contain Calathes' vision. I doubt he ever said that. How do you contain someone's vision? Put a hand over their eyes as much as possible? I wonder if Edwards will be at the game tonight? For entertainment purposes it would be funny if Billy G did another interview and continued to be smart with her. :popcorn:
February 17, 200917 yr Your media view aside, Les, is it right for John Clay (media rep) to act toward a coach like the coach is acting toward the media? Is it apples and oranges? If not, should Clay be a media member, according to the criteria you just laid down? Did you ever see some of the stuff Bobby Knight pulled with the media? I have seen him berate many people with press credentials. I have watched him bring his lunch to press confrences. I have seen him accuse people of being stupid. (I think you'll agree he was a top-notch coach.) Pitino did the same thing the other night. What about Spurrier in football with the media? I think there are a lot of top-notchers who act badly toward the people in your profession. May not be right, but it does happen at every level. When did Clay act like BillyG did? If you can't take the heat that comes with the UK job, then you don't need to be there. Plain and simple.:deadhorse:
February 17, 200917 yr If I am not mistaken she said that his plan was to contain Calathes' vision. I doubt he ever said that. How do you contain someone's vision? Put a hand over their eyes as much as possible? I wonder if Edwards will be at the game tonight? For entertainment purposes it would be funny if Billy G did another interview and continued to be smart with her. :popcorn: She will be in Nashville tonight.
February 17, 200917 yr When did Clay act like BillyG did? If you can't take the heat that comes with the UK job, then you don't need to be there. Plain and simple.:deadhorse: Who said Gillispie can't take the heat? You are being critical of us for being critical of John Clay for being critical of Billy G.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.