Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Clay's take on Gillispie's interviews

Featured Replies

Yeah, I would've hated to be in Bernstein's position, but it was a question that had to be asked, whether Williams liked it or not.
Exactly.
  • Replies 102
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:thumb:

 

I agree, it is unnecessary. Why doesn't the coach's association talk with ESPN/Media about it and come to some sort of agreement.

 

Because there aren't many (any?) other coaches who have a problem with halftime interviews. A few coaches have an assistant interview, and that is fine.

 

I havent been following his interviews very closely. Is it just the ESPN girl that he is acting that way or are there other examples? I really couldnt figure out what made him mad in the last interview at the half of the Florida game!

 

It is basically only Jeannine Edwards. At least that I have seen. And I don't think he was mad at the Florida game. He just said he couldn't hear the question. Definitely rude, but I wouldn't consider him mad.

 

Bottom line is it's just nasty and more than just a little bit childish to be like that, no matter who's doing it.

 

:thumb: If he doesn't want to talk to her, send an assistant coach.

 

I would think it almost has to be. Otherwise, why would any coach agree to do it?

 

Great question.

I suspect the coaches are strongly encouraged to do the interviews by the SEC as part of their TV package with ESPN.

 

I don't get to watch a great deal of basketball, but I don't see too many coaches acting in a similar fashion in a live interview situation, other than Roy Williams' profanity-laced response to Bonnie Bernstein when she asked him about taking the North Carolina job after his last Kansas team lost in the national championship game.

 

Roy Williams' response was classic. He just said what was on his mind. Not always the best approach, but I appreciate it.

 

I was told this week by a friend of mine in the media that BCG and Jeannie have off the court history and he is not very fond of her. If you look at it in that context the interviews make more sense.

 

I said the same thing, somewhat in jest; however, it fits Billy Clyde's "reputation" perfectly. In all honesty, that's one of the only ways to explain it. But even then, it's still pretty childish.

In all honesty, I was surprised at Jeannine Edwards' questions both times. I thought they were both pretty good & valid questions.

 

With that said, I hate the halftime interview. Just not as much as Billy Clyde.

Maybe ESPN should send Erin Andrews instead of Jeannine Edwards! I know it'd help my mood!

BCG talks about discipline his players, well he needs to discipline himself.

Because there aren't many (any?) other coaches who have a problem with halftime interviews. A few coaches have an assistant interview, and that is fine.

 

 

 

It is basically only Jeannine Edwards. At least that I have seen. And I don't think he was mad at the Florida game. He just said he couldn't hear the question. Definitely rude, but I wouldn't consider him mad.

 

 

 

:thumb: If he doesn't want to talk to her, send an assistant coach.

 

 

 

Great question.

 

 

Roy Williams' response was classic. He just said what was on his mind. Not always the best approach, but I appreciate it.

 

 

 

I said the same thing, somewhat in jest; however, it fits Billy Clyde's "reputation" perfectly. In all honesty, that's one of the only ways to explain it. But even then, it's still pretty childish.

 

If this is the case then why do some, as you aptly pointed out, send an assistant to do the interview? It is because they do not like it any more than BCG.

Well, from what I've seen with all the other TOP-NOTCH coaches, they sure don't act like him. He's being a baby. That's all. Should never have been the head coach in the first place.

 

I understand the "thats a stupid queston" was wrong to say, but I don't see how what he said this time is wrong at all. She asked a question about his game plan that insinuated somethig that was inaccurate.

I understand the "thats a stupid queston" was wrong to say, but I don't see how what he said this time is wrong at all. She asked a question about his game plan that insinuated somethig that was inaccurate.

 

I realize that what she said may have been something inaccurate but imo in no way should he say "that's a stupid question", that response is wrong regardless. Remember, he is a representative of U.K.. He could have said "no comment" or something like "I think that is inaccurate" and quickly ran to the locker room. I have seen plenty of coaches keep walking while they were talking, didn't stop and went on into the locker room. JMO

I'll say this.....Mike Krzyzewski doesn't like the halftime interview, he sends Collins to do them. BCG needs to find someone else to do them, and this all would be squashed.

I'll say this.....Mike Krzyzewski doesn't like the halftime interview, he sends Collins to do them. BCG needs to find someone else to do them, and this all would be squashed.

Tracy Webster would be a perfect choice...

I have no problems at all with what BCG has said. The halftime interviews as the coaches go off the floor are uncalled for. The coaches priority should be to get with his or her team and make whatever adjustments they need to make. Save the interviews for after the game and allow the coaches to spend time with their team. Some of the questions are so ridiculous and meaningless anyway. I support BCG, he doesn't have the time to be bothered by some nuisance reorter,

I'll say this.....Mike Krzyzewski doesn't like the halftime interview, he sends Collins to do them. BCG needs to find someone else to do them, and this all would be squashed.

 

:thumb:

I have no problems at all with what BCG has said. The halftime interviews as the coaches go off the floor are uncalled for. The coaches priority should be to get with his or her team and make whatever adjustments they need to make. Save the interviews for after the game and allow the coaches to spend time with their team. Some of the questions are so ridiculous and meaningless anyway. I support BCG, he doesn't have the time to be bothered by some nuisance reorter,

 

Whether he likes it or not, this is part of the job, dealing with the media. I have also heard him get smart with Tom Leach during pretaped pregame interviews, so it isn't just a spur of the moment thing with BCG.

I realize that what she said may have been something inaccurate but imo in no way should he say "that's a stupid question", that response is wrong regardless. Remember, he is a representative of U.K.. He could have said "no comment" or something like "I think that is inaccurate" and quickly ran to the locker room. I have seen plenty of coaches keep walking while they were talking, didn't stop and went on into the locker room. JMO

 

Which is what I said. He shouldn't have told her that. But I didn't have any problems with what he said on Tuesday night because he felt like it was an inaccurate statement. Its the media's job to be accurate.

He didn't say that's a stupid question he said that's a bad question. I agree with just about everyone on here. The halftime interviews are not needed, but if you're going to do them do them with some class. If not let one of your assistants handle it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.