February 12, 200917 yr I havent been following his interviews very closely. Is it just the ESPN girl that he is acting that way or are there other examples? I really couldnt figure out what made him mad in the last interview at the half of the Florida game! Probably the score and the thought of losing 3 straight at home and 4 straight overall. I know I was cursing out loud and I didn't even have anyone in the room with me.:irked:
February 12, 200917 yr I havent been following his interviews very closely. Is it just the ESPN girl that he is acting that way or are there other examples? I really couldnt figure out what made him mad in the last interview at the half of the Florida game! Nothing. He just doesn't like doing them, and this is his way of showing it. Don't get me wrong — the halftime interview is completely stupid and viewers/listeners glean absolutely nothing from the guarded comments the coach provides. But it's still his job. And I'm betting those of you giving him a pass on this — (*cough* LMB!) — would probably be all over any other coach not from UK had they done this. Bottom line is it's just nasty and more than just a little bit childish to be like that, no matter who's doing it.
February 12, 200917 yr Nothing. He just doesn't like doing them, and this is his way of showing it. Don't get me wrong — the halftime interview is completely stupid and viewers/listeners glean absolutely nothing from the guarded comments the coach provides. But it's still his job. And I'm betting those of you giving him a pass on this — (*cough* LMB!) — would probably be all over any other coach not from UK had they done this. Bottom line is it's just nasty and more than just a little bit childish to be like that, no matter who's doing it. Find a comment where Ive been critical of another coach for an interview and get back to me. The only person I can think of being critical towards was Shaq for cursing on live TV during an interview. So why is it okay for the media to be critical towards Gillispie, but its not okay for Gillispie to be critical towards the media?
February 12, 200917 yr Find a comment where Ive been critical of another coach for an interview and get back to me. The only person I can think of being critical towards was Shaq for cursing on live TV during an interview. So why is it okay for the media to be critical towards Gillispie, but its not okay for Gillispie to be critical towards the media? Because he's the coach of one of the most high-profile college basketball programs in the country. Being criticized comes with the job. And besides, what good does it do him or any other coach to whine about or be critical of the media? The only thing that happens when he does that is either A) he comes across looking childish and whiny or B) nobody cares, because it's the media. It's a statement that's kind of dated, but it still holds: Don't make enemies with people who buy their ink by the barrel, because you'll never win.
February 12, 200917 yr Because he's the coach of one of the most high-profile college basketball programs in the country. Being criticized comes with the job. And besides, what good does it do him or any other coach to whine about or be critical of the media? The only thing that happens when he does that is either A) he comes across looking childish and whiny or B) nobody cares, because it's the media. It's a statement that's kind of dated, but it still holds: Don't make enemies with people who buy their ink by the barrel, because you'll never win. So media should be free from criticism? If a basketball coach can't criticize a member of the media who can?
February 12, 200917 yr Billy Clyde Gillispie fails to understand that he is grossly overcompensated (2 million + per year) to live and work (can you call it that) at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky..........the home of: Great basketball Beautiful Horses Fast Women Fine Bourbon It seems obvious he likes all the above! For some of the trivial things that he doesn't care for (like speaking to the Rotary Club, and interviewing with Jeannine Edwards at halftime), he needs to realize that the alternative for him might be living in a double wide back in West Texas, coaching basketball at Northwest Eastern Texas State Junior College, and making $12,500.00 per year. I bet the coach there doesn't have to do inconvenient fund raisers or uncomfortable interviews at halftime. John Clay is dead on correct in his article!
February 12, 200917 yr Nothing. He just doesn't like doing them, and this is his way of showing it. Don't get me wrong — the halftime interview is completely stupid and viewers/listeners glean absolutely nothing from the guarded comments the coach provides. But it's still his job. And I'm betting those of you giving him a pass on this — (*cough* LMB!) — would probably be all over any other coach not from UK had they done this. Bottom line is it's just nasty and more than just a little bit childish to be like that, no matter who's doing it. I think it shows a lack of class...
February 12, 200917 yr So media should be free from criticism? If a basketball coach can't criticize a member of the media who can? She is paid to do a job and he is paid to represent the university with class. Only one of them is properly doing what they are paid to do...
February 12, 200917 yr I agree that Billy G. has been acting like a jerk, and it is embarrassing as a UK fan to have a coach that acts in such a way. My question is, is he, or any coach legally obligated to stop and do the interview by ESPN's contract with the SEC?
February 12, 200917 yr I thought telling her that was a stupid question was a little over the top, but I actually thought his statement the other night was kindof funny. I think she was kind of putting words in Gillispie's mouth referring to the question. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't she ask him about "containing Calathes' vision." If Gillispie never said that then why should he act like he did?
February 12, 200917 yr I thought telling her that was a stupid question was a little over the top, but I actually thought his statement the other night was kindof funny. I think she was kind of putting words in Gillispie's mouth referring to the question. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't she ask him about "containing Calathes' vision." If Gillispie never said that then why should he act like he did? Gillispie claimed Tuesday he didn't hear the question, then told Edwards he didn't know where she got the Nick Calathes "vision" question when it was he the day before who complimented Calathes' "great vision."
February 12, 200917 yr Gillispie claimed Tuesday he didn't hear the question, then told Edwards he didn't know where she got the Nick Calathes "vision" question when it was he the day before who complimented Calathes' "great vision." Does anyone know the actual question she asked? I thought it was something about containing his vision or something like that, but am not for sure.
February 12, 200917 yr Does anyone know the actual question she asked? I thought it was something about containing his vision or something like that, but am not for sure. It was something along the lines of "your game plan was to contain/limit his vision, how do you think you're doing" IIRC. I too got the impression that his reaction was more of "that was my game plan?" Her questions were too long as well. In those going to the locker interviews, the questions need to be extremely brief. Those things being said, he definitely needs to cool it at this point, give a canned non answer (say "we need to play better defense and take better shots" no matter what he's asked) and walk to the locker room.
February 12, 200917 yr It was something along the lines of "your game plan was to contain/limit his vision, how do you think you're doing" IIRC. I too got the impression that his reaction was more of "that was my game plan?" Her questions were too long as well. In those going to the locker interviews, the questions need to be extremely brief. Those things being said, he definitely needs to cool it at this point, give a canned non answer (say "we need to play better defense and take better shots" no matter what he's asked) and walk to the locker room. Saying he has great vision and containing his vision is 2 different things. How do you contain someone's vision? Put a hand in their face? :lol: It just wasn't a good question.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.