February 12, 200917 yr I agree that Billy G. has been acting like a jerk, and it is embarrassing as a UK fan to have a coach that acts in such a way. My question is, is he, or any coach legally obligated to stop and do the interview by ESPN's contract with the SEC? Anyone? Anyone??? GT?? Bueller???
February 12, 200917 yr Anyone? Anyone??? GT?? Bueller??? I have never heard it being in the contract...
February 12, 200917 yr It was something along the lines of "your game plan was to contain/limit his vision, how do you think you're doing" IIRC. I too got the impression that his reaction was more of "that was my game plan?" Her questions were too long as well. In those going to the locker interviews, the questions need to be extremely brief. Those things being said, he definitely needs to cool it at this point, give a canned non answer (say "we need to play better defense and take better shots" no matter what he's asked) and walk to the locker room. I agree with that 110%. The coach has a lot on his mind at that point, if they have to do the interviews, make the question brief and to the point. However, while I will continue to support BCG, I heard him react in a similar fashion during a pregame interview with Tom Leach that was pre-recorded. I think the pressure of being UK's coach is starting to get to him. I just hope he succeeds at dealing with it a little bit better than he has lately.
February 12, 200917 yr Saying he has great vision and containing his vision is 2 different things. How do you contain someone's vision? Put a hand in their face? :lol: It just wasn't a good question. How about poking them in the eye!!
February 12, 200917 yr Anyone? Anyone??? GT?? Bueller???I have always wondered the same thing, LRCW. I would not want to do the interview.
February 12, 200917 yr I was told this week by a friend of mine in the media that BCG and Jeannie have off the court history and he is not very fond of her. If you look at it in that context the interviews make more sense.
February 12, 200917 yr I agree with quite a few here that haltime interviews are stupid to say the least, no purpose in them whatsoever. I believe it's quite obvious that BCG will never win any personality or media relations contest, the man just doesn't like any interview. I don't even like hearing his interviews with the U.K. radio network or WKYT either and that is hometown friendly territory. I agree that BC, being the coach of a high profile program like U.K. should conduct himself in a better manner in a nationally televised game interview than what he does. His comments are getting embarrassing. Whether he likes doing them or not imo it goes along with the job that he is paid (and very well paid) to do.
February 12, 200917 yr I was told this week by a friend of mine in the media that BCG and Jeannie have off the court history and he is not very fond of her. If you look at it in that context the interviews make more sense. That being true or not imo it still does not excuse it. BCG is a representative of U.K..
February 12, 200917 yr I agree that Billy G. has been acting like a jerk, and it is embarrassing as a UK fan to have a coach that acts in such a way. My question is, is he, or any coach legally obligated to stop and do the interview by ESPN's contract with the SEC? Good question.....:idunno:
February 12, 200917 yr So for all these media people like John Clay its okay to write an article or do an interview and criticize Gillispie, but its not okay for Gillispie to be critical of a member of the media? Could Gillispie handle the situation better? Sure, but hes a coach going in at halftime and obviously not very happy either time. As long as the team plays well and he doesn't turn into Bobby Knight I don't see a problem. Well, from what I've seen with all the other TOP-NOTCH coaches, they sure don't act like him. He's being a baby. That's all. Should never have been the head coach in the first place.
February 12, 200917 yr I suspect the coaches are strongly encouraged to do the interviews by the SEC as part of their TV package with ESPN. I don't get to watch a great deal of basketball, but I don't see too many coaches acting in a similar fashion in a live interview situation, other than Roy Williams' profanity-laced response to Bonnie Bernstein when she asked him about taking the North Carolina job after his last Kansas team lost in the national championship game.
February 12, 200917 yr I have never heard it being in the contract... I would think it almost has to be. Otherwise, why would any coach agree to do it?
February 12, 200917 yr So media should be free from criticism? If a basketball coach can't criticize a member of the media who can? They can all they want. Whether it's a prudent thing to do is another story. It is what it is.
February 12, 200917 yr I suspect the coaches are strongly encouraged to do the interviews by the SEC as part of their TV package with ESPN. I don't get to watch a great deal of basketball, but I don't see too many coaches acting in a similar fashion in a live interview situation, other than Roy Williams' profanity-laced response to Bonnie Bernstein when she asked him about taking the North Carolina job after his last Kansas team lost in the national championship game. Yeah, I would've hated to be in Bernstein's position, but it was a question that had to be asked, whether Williams liked it or not.
February 12, 200917 yr I would think it almost has to be. Otherwise, why would any coach agree to do it? Because the confrence tells you to. If it was in the contract, the coaches would want paid for it IMO...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.