KY High School Spring Football

bluekyblue

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest problem that I see is the timing of it. The weather is not good for all schools and if your basketball team doesn't advance far in the post season you will begin earlier that someone who makes it to the finals. I think that the KHSAA needs to make it fair to all schools IMO.

First of all there should be the option for spring football. Basketball, Baseball, and soccer are basically year-round sports that keep kids from Football.

Someone said as long as it was fun for the kids and not mandatory. Is the other year-round sports mandatory? If they are not, why do more kids not skip them for Football. Because the coach says, "you can play other sports, but if you are not around in the summer, you may not be in the starting line-up."

The fun part is up to individual coaches. If one truely understands that kids today do not need all of the negativity that can come with participating in sports, and understands that every kid is motivated differently, and can apply that to his team, then it will be fun and he will be successful.

Spring football should be kept. 7 on 7 should be allowed without worrying about basketball or the other WINTER sports.

I agree, I would prefer it was something like the last two weeks of March, for everyone. I like the way Florida has the live scrimmage at the end. It would make the Spring Practice more of a priority, it wold make it an event, make some money for admission, and give the fans a glimpse of what is to come in the season. Plus, Florida uses the spring games to get experience for the officials. The way I understand it is, they have an officials clinic during the spring practice, then they apply what was learned in the clinic, in the spring games. The officials get a lot of experience during the Spring Practice.

I agree, spring ball is a chance for kids that haven't played for a while or at all to try it out. If they don't like it then they don't waste time in the fall and you might just find some kids that can really help the program. I also say everyone practices the first two weeks of April. Basketball is done and you just lose the baseball guys. Track guys can work around practice most of the time.

Football can be a very complicated game, and in the relatively short time period from the beginning of summer practice to game time it can be difficult to establish fundamentals at the same time as creating game plans, especially for new players.

Many people want to say that because Ohio doesn't have it means we don't need it, but I would argue Ohio probably has a lot more going for football where they don't need it like we do. I can't say that this is a fact but I would assume Ohio has better prep leagues than KY not to mention Ohio has a few million more people in the state. Overall KY doesn't have as deep rooted football traditions as Ohio (where it does, I don't think Spring ball is quite as necessary).

For any team changing coaches, offensive game plan, or making a key position change like qb. This game less season can be invaluable.

That is always the point I go back to ponder. Ohio has great football without the spring practice, so why does Kentucky think it's so important?

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, etc. all have spring practice as well as a season ending spring game against another team. There are more VERY good football playing states that have it rather than don't have it.

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, etc. all have spring practice as well as a season ending spring game against another team. There are more VERY good football playing states that have it rather than don't have it.

Bingo. The people opposed to spring football like to point out that Ohio doesn't have it, but "conveniently" forget to mention the very, very strong football states that do have spring football.

With high school football in Ky being as far behind as it once was, spring football has helped a lot. I can only speak of how Highlands does it, but in my opinion it has helped a lot. Mueller does a lot of hitting in the spring, perhaps more so than he does during two a days. It gives an early glimpse of how last years younger players are going to be able to handle the step up to possible starter. It gives a longer recovery time in the event some one gets hurt. It lets kids know how they stand strength wise and speed wise, which enables them to become better focused during their summer conditioning program. It enables the coaches to assess kids and install a different system if they desire to do so. Spring football can, if properly utilized, make a very big improvement to a program. No doubt that it helps the larger schools that don't necessarily count on the same kids to also play spring sports, than it helps the smaller schools, but that is not a justification to get rid of spring football.

Sandman, having watched a lot and I mean a lot of spring football practices, I can assure you that it has provided big, big benefits to Highlands football. And yes, kids can practice form tackling and blocking on their parents if their parents aren't wimps. :D

As for the timing of spring football, while I understand the argument, I think the criticism is being overblown. With most of the schools being eliminated from the basketball tournaments about the same time (what are we talking about 32 teams-16 boys and 16 girls- making it to the state tournament, most schools start spring football at about the same time, give or take a week or two. In a balancing act to make the negative impact on baseball as small as possible, the rationale has been to start spring football as soon as possible for as many schools as possible before the baseball regular season begins. And with the trend to artificial turf fields increasing, inclement spring weather will have less and less impact on the quality of spring football practices for more and more schools. Moving spring football back to June at first blush may make some sense, but would further negatively impact players', parents' and coaches' summers.

I realize the situation isn't perfect, but I think we all need to realize that there is no perfect situation that will make everyone involved in high school athletics happy.

Why don't we just make spring practice a two week period in May? The weather is better and nobody expects any baseball players to be there because they're in season. If you make it the same time for everybody you eliminate any advantage/disadvantage of having a good or bad basketball program.

Why don't we just make spring practice a two week period in May? The weather is better and nobody expects any baseball players to be there because they're in season. If you make it the same time for everybody you eliminate any advantage/disadvantage of having a good or bad basketball program.

Because at some schools, kids that otherwise might play baseball, won't in order to participate in spring football.

When is spring football in Kentucky and what is exactly involved?

Bylaw 25. Limitation of Seasons

Sec. 5) Sports Specific Limitations - Football - Boys

(8) Each football school may conduct ten (10) practice

periods of not more than two (2) hours in length and not

more than one practice per day over ten (10) days

during the three calendar school weeks following the

school’s elimination from post-season play in basketball.

All equipment authorized by the football playing rules

may be used during this period. There can be no interschool

competition during this period, and all

participants must be eligible according to all KHSAA

eligibility rules.

Bylaw 25. Limitation of Seasons

Sec. 5) Sports Specific Limitations - Football - Boys

(8) Each football school may conduct ten (10) practice

periods of not more than two (2) hours in length and not

more than one practice per day over ten (10) days

during the three calendar school weeks following the

school’s elimination from post-season play in basketball.

All equipment authorized by the football playing rules

may be used during this period. There can be no interschool

competition during this period, and all

participants must be eligible according to all KHSAA

eligibility rules.

Heck lets have it year round like soccer:puke:. I wonder if there are kids that play baseball that may suffer because they don,t attend spring football. Do you think that muti sport kids are at a disadvantage?:confused:

Heck lets have it year round like soccer:puke:. I wonder if there are kids that play baseball that may suffer because they don,t attend spring football. Do you think that muti sport kids are at a disadvantage?:confused:

It really depends on the talent of the athlete. For Cov. Cath. last year (class of '09) you had Pat Van Sant and Zach Isler playing baseball. They missed Spring Practice and they practically lead this team last year. PVS is going to Georgetown to play football. So really it depends on the player.

Here is one of my recent posts in anther thread about multi-sports athletes. I have nothing against it, and if a student/athlete wants to play two, three, four, or twelve sports, I don't have a problem with it but, you can to consider:

Yesterday, 09:32 AM #55
Ram

image.php?u=1230002106&dateline=12282472

icon1.gif

I know that I will get hammered on this, I normally do, but.......

Playing three sports is very difficult now. It used to be common, but there were distinct seasons then. With basketball now having the regular season, the AAU season, summer open gyms, and players are expected to attend camps, it is hard to stay on top if you are playing multiple sports. Football is the same way, with the season, winter programs, spring practice, 7 on 7, and pre-season workouts and practice. Likewise, baseball it the same, the season, summer teams, fall teams, showcases, and winter clinics.

I am not saying that is can't be done, but you are going to miss a lot if you are playing multiple sports, and it is hard to excel on a team, or in a sport, when you are missing pretty much everything except the pre-season and season.

I gave up baseball and basketball, and football became "My sport", and I improved very much over the first year that I was not playing multiple sports. Likewise, I played with some players who were great athletes, that play all three. They never truly reached their potential, because they were missing a lot of workouts in all three sports. One player was one of the best athletes to play any sport in this area, but he never truly became dominate in any one sport, because he was missing a lot of workouts in all three sports.

Like I have said before, you can have anything that you want in this world, but you can't have it all. Something is going to suffer, and if you try to do to much, everything will suffer.
user_online.gifreport.gif ip.gif progress.gifedit.gifquote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif