KY High School Spring Football

bluekyblue

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Spring Football is important. One thing that it does, is get a lot of reps for non starters or players that the coaches want to see that did not get many reps during the last season. It also, let the players get some reps in, instead of going seven months without having football practice, keeps it in their mind and they get some practice if you will.

And, like you said, for the players that aren't playing any other sports, or the players that focus on football only, why not give them a chance to get a little better in the off season. Give them something to focus on and see where they need to improve before the season starts, give them some time to see where they are lacking.

If we want football in the state to get better, we have to put the time in. We have to give the players time to improve. We have to make football a priority.

Plus, basketball has summer leagues to improve, and it has made a big difference in basketball. Baseball has summer and fall leagues to improve, and it has improved baseball. Why shouldn't football have the spring to improve?

I like the idea of spring football.

I would make changes to the rules and do it like Fla.

Everyone practices the same two weeks and at the end play a game against another team.

I agree, I would prefer it was something like the last two weeks of March, for everyone. I like the way Florida has the live scrimmage at the end. It would make the Spring Practice more of a priority, it wold make it an event, make some money for admission, and give the fans a glimpse of what is to come in the season. Plus, Florida uses the spring games to get experience for the officials. The way I understand it is, they have an officials clinic during the spring practice, then they apply what was learned in the clinic, in the spring games. The officials get a lot of experience during the Spring Practice.

I am somewhat torn on Spring Football. I obviously don't think it hurts but am not sure how much it really helps.

If you use Ohio football as a comparison, which is without a doubt one of the hotbeds of HS football talent in the country, they don't allow Spring Football yet constantly have nationally ranked teams and more D1 signees than Ky. Also, I think alot of the teams in NKy don't have most of their starters from the 'fast' positions (QB, RB, WR, LB) due to alot of them playing baseball or running track for their school.

While this would seem to help with strengthening your backups, does it really help with the team you will field in the Fall? I don't have the answer, but I am sure someone out there does.

Move spring football to May or June. Better weather. Many programs cannot use baseball players anyway. Plus, if colleges are allowed to visit some May/June scrimmages, it would allow our football players a little more exposure.

Don't mean to step on any other June sports that are either 6 or 9 months away from playing their first game....:puke:

I suppose it's better than nothing, but I would like to see a uniform set of dates for all schools. It's just not fair for one teams "clock" to start on March 2nd (the Monday after the district tournament), while another team could start as late as April 6th.

I suppose it's better than nothing, but I would like to see a uniform set of dates for all schools. It's just not fair for one teams "clock" to start on March 2nd (the Monday after the district tournament), while another team could start as late as April 6th.

If we are going to have it, I agree a uniform set of dates makes more sense than the current format.

What your guys opinions? Necessary or Not? Ohio HS seems to perform pretty well without it. On the other hand if the kids are not playing anything why not do a little football in the spring.

That is always the point I go back to ponder. Ohio has great football without the spring practice, so why does Kentucky think it's so important?

I really don't care if spring practice is allowed or not, but I'm not sold on the benefits. A kid gets some reps, then gets none for the next three months, how much did those March reps really help? A kid is told he needs to improve his tackling technique, what's he suppossed to do, spend the next three months tackling mom and dad?