KY High School Spring Football

bluekyblue

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh... Did you say that Fort Campbell scrimmaged in the spring???

I was waiting on someone to catch that.

Bylaw 25. Limitation of Seasons

Sec. 5) Sports Specific Limitations - Football - Boys

(8) Each football school may conduct ten (10) practice

periods of not more than two (2) hours in length and not

more than one practice per day over ten (10) days

during the three calendar school weeks following the

school’s elimination from post-season play in basketball.

All equipment authorized by the football playing rules

may be used during this period. There can be no interschool

competition during this period, and all

participants must be eligible according to all KHSAA

eligibility rules.

Because at some schools, kids that otherwise might play baseball, won't in order to participate in spring football.

That doesn't make sense. The way it's set up now is during baseball season...it's always going to be during baseball season. No football coach in their right mind should ask baseball kids to attend spring football. That's your opportunity to work with everyone else.

That doesn't make sense. The way it's set up now is during baseball season...it's always going to be during baseball season. No football coach in their right mind should ask baseball kids to attend spring football. That's your opportunity to work with everyone else.

The way its set up now is after the basketball season for those schools eliminated from the basketball tourny. And for a lot of schools, it's not held during the baseball regular season. Admittedly some schools will be practicing baseball, but for a lot of schools, the weather conditions are too poor to at least be outside practicing. I can't speak for any other school, but the football coaches and baseball coaches at Highlands coordinate their practice schedules to permit those kids interested to do both. I don't think Mueller asks the kids playing baseball to participate in spring football, but allows them to if they want to and the baseball coach permits them to do it. It really has worked very well. Frankly, without such cooperation, at a football dominant school like Highlands, if the kids were forced to choose one or the other, the baseball program would probably be on the losing end. But there is no reason to force the kids to choose one or the other. We are talking about a grand total of 10 football practices spread out over three weeks (and most of the baseball players don't even attend all 10 football practices). It's really not that big of a deal. Certainly no bigger of a deal than Drew Simons missing multiple days of two a day football practices a couple of years ago to participate in AAU basketball tournaments nor no bigger of a deal than Brett Hamlin missing almost all the two a day football practices years ago to participate on his select baseball team. It's just too easy, if you want to, to work with the kids to let them participate in multiple sports.

:thumb:

The 10 day practice isn't mandatory and I haven't heard of any coaches "making kids choose," at least not at Greenup. This is a great opportunity to take a look at the boys that are the bulk of a school's team. Sure there are "exceptionally talented" youth that excell in two or more sports, but these are the exception, rather than the rule. I don't believe spring practice, or any schedule, should be adjusted to benefit a minority of players.

:thumb:

The 10 day practice isn't mandatory and I haven't heard of any coaches "making kids choose," at least not at Greenup. This is a great opportunity to take a look at the boys that are the bulk of a school's team. Sure there are "exceptionally talented" youth that excell in two or more sports, but these are the exception, rather than the rule. I don't believe spring practice, or any schedule, should be adjusted to benefit a minority of players.

They may not come out and directly say it, but they imply that their chances will be reduced if they do not participate. I have no problem with a coach making it mandatory for people that "ARE NOT" involed in another in-season sport at that thime. But to make those implications to a kid that is working to make another team in your school, is ludacris. A whole lot of them do it. Basketball coaches telling kids that if they are not on the summer team, he can't be sure that they will make the team in the fall, others will increase their BB skills while you are playing football. Same from Football coaches about spring ball and conditioning to baseball players. It happens all of the time, just in a very subtle manner.

They may not come out and directly say it, but they imply that their chances will be reduced if they do not participate. I have no problem with a coach making it mandatory for people that "ARE NOT" involed in another in-season sport at that thime. But to make those implications to a kid that is working to make another team in your school, is ludacris. A whole lot of them do it. Basketball coaches telling kids that if they are not on the summer team, he can't be sure that they will make the team in the fall, others will increase their BB skills while you are playing football. Same from Football coaches about spring ball and conditioning to baseball players. It happens all of the time, just in a very subtle manner.

I'm not doubting that it may happen at some schools, but that's not a KHSAA problem, that's a local school board/principal problem to address.

I think spring practice is a definate benefit for all schools. With that said several do not take advantage of it. I don't know if it is to big a hassel to re-issue all of the gear or if there are to many kids playing other sports. Trinity doesn't go out in pads, they use the time for conditioning and weight training. It seems to be a formula that works well for them.

I think spring practice is a definate benefit for all schools. With that said several do not take advantage of it. I don't know if it is to big a hassel to re-issue all of the gear or if there are to many kids playing other sports. Trinity doesn't go out in pads, they use the time for conditioning and weight training. It seems to be a formula that works well for them.

Shouldn't weightlifting/conditioning be going on all winter not just during this two week window?

• 3 weeks later...

eligibility rules.

:ohbrother:

I think Bill was referencing the "Clarksville Jamboree" which was NOT held in the spring, it was in Aug, pre-season, and FC dominated Kenwood HS and Clarksville HS...

Here is one of my recent posts in anther thread about multi-sports athletes. I have nothing against it, and if a student/athlete wants to play two, three, four, or twelve sports, I don't have a problem with it but, you can to consider:

Yesterday, 09:32 AM #55
Ram

image.php?u=1230002106&dateline=12282472

icon1.gif

I know that I will get hammered on this, I normally do, but.......

Playing three sports is very difficult now. It used to be common, but there were distinct seasons then. With basketball now having the regular season, the AAU season, summer open gyms, and players are expected to attend camps, it is hard to stay on top if you are playing multiple sports. Football is the same way, with the season, winter programs, spring practice, 7 on 7, and pre-season workouts and practice. Likewise, baseball it the same, the season, summer teams, fall teams, showcases, and winter clinics.

I am not saying that is can't be done, but you are going to miss a lot if you are playing multiple sports, and it is hard to excel on a team, or in a sport, when you are missing pretty much everything except the pre-season and season.

I gave up baseball and basketball, and football became "My sport", and I improved very much over the first year that I was not playing multiple sports. Likewise, I played with some players who were great athletes, that play all three. They never truly reached their potential, because they were missing a lot of workouts in all three sports. One player was one of the best athletes to play any sport in this area, but he never truly became dominate in any one sport, because he was missing a lot of workouts in all three sports.

Like I have said before, you can have anything that you want in this world, but you can't have it all. Something is going to suffer, and if you try to do to much, everything will suffer.
user_online.gifreport.gif ip.gif progress.gifedit.gifquote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

I agree with you Ram...I think it can be done, but they aren't getting to their full potential in any one sport when they do play multiple sports. My son has played basketball (starting with little league in probably kindergarten or 1st grade) and football since 6th grade. He is a sophomore this year and for the first time did not play basketball. We gave him the choice and he chose not to because he wanted to concentrate on football. He has already gained about 15 pounds since football ended, has been lifting weights the entire winter, and I think it is really going to benefit him. When he used to play basketball, he would run off all his weight and have to start all over trying to gain some weight and his muscle back after basketball season ended. He is about 6'3" and used to hover around 187 pounds and now is up to 205 and still working at gaining some more weight and muscle. Just one mother's thoughts on the subject. :D

I agree with you Ram...I think it can be done, but they aren't getting to their full potential in any one sport when they do play multiple sports. My son has played basketball (starting with little league in probably kindergarten or 1st grade) and football since 6th grade. He is a sophomore this year and for the first time did not play basketball. We gave him the choice and he chose not to because he wanted to concentrate on football. He has already gained about 15 pounds since football ended, has been lifting weights the entire winter, and I think it is really going to benefit him. When he used to play basketball, he would run off all his weight and have to start all over trying to gain some weight and his muscle back after basketball season ended. He is about 6'3" and used to hover around 187 pounds and now is up to 205 and still working at gaining some more weight and muscle. Just one mother's thoughts on the subject. :D

Good information, and exactly what my point in on this subject. Thanks for sharing, and good luck to your son, I think you, and him, will some major improvement in his performance this season.

What your guys opinions? Necessary or Not? Ohio HS seems to perform pretty well without it. On the other hand if the kids are not playing anything why not do a little football in the spring.

The big reasons they started having it again starting 1997 was how many D1 players where coming out of states that had spring ball and not having football in the spring. Example Arkansas and Mississippi two states one had it the other did not. Arkansas had it and had 23 D1 players signed with major school around the country. Now then Mississippi did not have it all and they had 9 D1 players. In the state of Kentucky the numbers of D1 players has triple sence 1997. Now the reason Ohio is better is they have about four citys bigger then Louisville, everbody knows the more kids playing the better your team going to be.

Edited by Blackshirts

Uh... Did you say that Fort Campbell scrimmaged in the spring???

eligibility rules.

^Yeah, my timelines are a bit out of whack.......

:ohbrother:

I think Bill was referencing the "Clarksville Jamboree" which was NOT held in the spring, it was in Aug, pre-season, and FC dominated Kenwood HS and Clarksville HS...

That's what I meant. It couldn't have been in the spring, because I left for AFG in mid March, and the game wasn't until much later. Thanks for the help falconmom, you're the bestest.

:notworthy:

Later.

I would like to see Spring Practice allow incoming freshmen (8th graders) to participate. This would allow coaches to evaluate the new talent and allow the players to be introduced to terminology and so on. Also it would increase #s. I would also hope that no coach would bang his freshmen against older kids in drills or live scrimmage situations.