Who do you think will be the next Covington Catholic Coach?

I think the point was that they had some patience with Ray and allowed him some time to get the program on its feet. These days if the fix isn't there overnight, people call for the head of the coach and generally seem to get it.
I think the new coach will be given time to turn wins and losses around. It is the off field issues and relationships that cost the old coach his job.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loads of talent in sophomore and freshman classes. Definitely will be a program competing for a state title in 2 years.

I guess the coach doesn't matter then does it? If the talent is there to compete for a state title in 2 years then who they hire isn't that critical. ;)

I have to admit, I was borderline shocked when I looked over CCH's record in the above post, especially the record this decade. In 8 of the last 10 seasons CCh has lost 5 games or more? Never would have believed that. And I don't care who the coach is or what condition the program is in, there is no way today that any coach of a school like CCH would still be coaching after 6 seasons like Ray had in his first 6. Is there a lesson to be learned there? Or is it one of those things where you just can't compare different eras?

I guess the coach doesn't matter then does it? If the talent is there to compete for a state title in 2 years then who they hire isn't that critical. ;)

I have to admit, I was borderline shocked when I looked over CCH's record in the above post, especially the record this decade. In 8 of the last 10 seasons CCh has lost 5 games or more? Never would have believed that. And I don't care who the coach is or what condition the program is in, there is no way today that any coach of a school like CCH would still be coaching after 6 seasons like Ray had in his first 6. Is there a lesson to be learned there? Or is it one of those things where you just can't compare different eras?

Athough I apparently don't know anything about CCH or NKY football, these are my sentiments exactly. Facts are facts, and IMO CCH is nowhere near the level they were at in the late 80's and early 90's. Is CCH a good program? Absolutely. A perennial state contender? Not so much, they have a ways to go in that regard.

IMO one major problem the new coach will face is a bit of unrealistic expectations. Don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful thing to expect a high level of achievement year in and year out. However, CCH is a difficult sell for many coaches to some degree, and it may take some time to rebuild after several years of turnover. I also don't think many would dispute that the talent level at CCH has dwindled somewhat.

It is likely that CCH will struggle again next year with a coaching change and a brutal schedule. Hopefully all involved with the CCH program learn something from Coach Ray's first 6 years and they weather the storm, together.

The 2005 team lost to eventual champ LexCath 42 - 39 in a game that very easily could have gone the Colonels way. The 2001 team lost a state semifinal in the mud 17 - 14 to Rockcastle. CovCath has been more than a blip on the radar in the 2000's. The .500 record goes hand in hand with the murderer's row schedule.

I don't understand why so many on the outside think it was simply the W/L record that ousted Brossart when so many faithful CovCath supporters all but scream otherwise. It was the lack of competiveness in big games and the off the field issues that cost him the head role at CovCath.

I have no doubts that there was much, much more that lead to Brossart being let go. I also think it is a bit naive to think that the W/L record had nothing to do with it. From all accounts Rodenberg was less than well received in the off the field department as well. However, I don't think anyone was ready to run him out of town.

I understand CCH has had some degree of playoff success in the 2000s. But I think you'd agree that 3 somewhat successful seasons is sub par by CCH's standards.

Thanks. Where did you find it on the website? I'm sure it's there and am not doubting you, as my inability to find it is caused by my limited computer skills.

If you go to the football History page, at the bottom there is a Link to Records. It appears it has not been updated since 2005.

I have no doubts that there was much, much more that lead to Brossart being let go. I also think it is a bit naive to think that the W/L record had nothing to do with it. From all accounts Rodenberg was less than well received in the off the field department as well. However, I don't think anyone was ready to run him out of town.

Sure the W/L had something to do with it. But to paint the picture that was the only issue is blatantly wrong (not saying you did, but others seem to be implying that was the sole reason). Besides solid athletic programs, CovCath is a very good academic school. Most of the alumni are smart enough to understand the issues the program faces very well.

I understand CCH has had some degree of playoff success in the 2000s. But I think you'd agree that 3 somewhat successful seasons is sub par by CCH's standards.

I agree the success may be sub par by CovCath standards. My point was the they have been better than a blip on the radar in the 2000s.

Whoever the new coach is, if he comes in and only relies on the jr and soph's next season and discounts the sr class he will also have some early problems. While imo next year's soph and jr have some good players, there is some talent in the sr class as well if utilized properly. Part of the problem Brossart had was building up this years freshman and soph class to the jr and sr to the point of creating some animosity. Don't get me wrong, they are both solid classes but you need engaged, solid sr leadership to be successful. And you need to be able to utilize the talent you have, and take into account the intangibles of the players (heart, desire, coachability, etc.)

Whoever the new coach is, if he comes in and only relies on the jr and soph's next season and discounts the sr class he will also have some early problems. While imo next year's soph and jr have some good players, there is some talent in the sr class as well if utilized properly. Part of the problem Brossart had was building up this years freshman and soph class to the jr and sr to the point of creating some animosity. Don't get me wrong, they are both solid classes but you need engaged, solid sr leadership to be successful. And you need to be able to utilize the talent you have, and take into account the intangibles of the players (heart, desire, coachability, etc.)

Absolutely it is the next coach's role to foster unity within the program, something that has apparently been lacking.

I agree that to build a successful program your seniors ALWAYS need to be the leaders on your team. They have been through all the hard work for 2 years and know how much effort it takes to be successful. Sophomores, regardless of how much success they had previously, need to understand they don't know squat and aren't even close to being ready to help yet because they have no idea how much work goes into being successful. Any program relying on it's sophomores to lead is doomed. They have to pay their dues and earn it first.

What happened to this program?

Did overall enrollment decrease?

Did the boys quit coming out for football for various reasons?

The Colonels were usually competitive through the years. Hopefully you all can regain your swagger and the football squad can bounce back. Best of luck choosing the right person to run the program.

What happened to this program?

Did overall enrollment decrease?

Did the boys quit coming out for football for various reasons?

The Colonels were usually competitive through the years. Hopefully you all can regain your swagger and the football squad can bounce back. Best of luck choosing the right person to run the program.

I don't get the "what happened to this program" thinking? Occasionally the talent pool is not as deep as it traditionally is. Secondly, to look at W/L and make a determination as to success is short-sighted.

2004: Remember that HHS team with the dominant D? That was 2 of the 3 losses for CCH that year including the regional final. I believe the scores of those 2 were 9-0 and 18-0. That team was somewhere between 2 and 4 in the state. They lost to Dixie early by a TD. That was the loaded Dixie team that beat T in the playoffs. They lost to Elder by a point.

See why you can't judge by W/L? 05 was similar. They lost in the regional final to LexCath. They lost to Highlands on a Hail Mary. I believe they lost to a GCL school that year.

We can't praise CCH for the challenging schedule they play annually and then blast them for losing more games than traditional powers do.

Actually, if they had played more of the NKY schools this last year their record would have most likely included more wins and less losses. It still wouldn't have changed the problems with the coach.

Most likely true on the first part and most likely true on the 2nd although the volume level would have been lower in Rowe's office.