Holmes v Covington Catholic (1/14)

Who wins?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is going to guard Pittman if he wanders out on a wing? Wellbrock will likely be on J. Johnson, Maile on R. Johnson, Ives on D. Johnson/Housely, Maschinot/Pauly on Riley....Isler is going to have to guard him. J. Johnson and R. Johnson are already going to be too quick for Maile and Wellbrock, so why would they put Isler on either of those two when they're probably quicker than Pittman?

Isler is just going to have to hope that Pittman doesn't get the ball out there because he will be more prone to picking up silly fouls as Pittman tries to drive by him. Pittman may be 6'7 but his ability to play outside really forces the opposing teams' big man to get out of their comfort zone. This is what makes Pittman one of the toughest players in the state to match up with and why Holmes is so tough to defend..

I think if Pittman goes outside then Isler will play off him and keep closer to the paint. As far as I know anytime the guy he is guarding goes out, Isler is told to stay in always to guard the paint. Pittman will either have a night where he hits the threes and if that is the case he'll get in his face, or he'll have a night where he doesn't and then it won't matter. All of the CovCath players are going to have to help each other...

I'd be surprised if this ever happened in case of a 3-way tie.You gave the 2 seed to a team that lost to the 4 seed which lost to the 3 seed.

They'll either go to a draw or they will use some measuring stick like W/L record, victory margin, etc.

Holy Cross has not played Beechwood or Cov Cath yet.

Pittman is more physical down low than you think. Isler may be able to be physical with him because he's a big boy and doesn't play scared, but no way Wellbrock OR Thelen would be able to handle guarding Pittman. Both would get pushed around down there offensively and defensively and IMO play too timid to guard him.

Pittman really doesn't play outside that much. He wanders out there from time to time but you'll rarely see him take more than 2 or 3 shots from out there. The majority of his damage comes down in the paint.

I know Pittman is physical down low, never said he wasn't. I just think he uses his talking too much and could afford to use a bit more of his body. And I agree Wellbrock and Thelen play too timid and soft but hopefully they realize there isnt a need to do that this game and go at him. I think Wellbrock def. can. He plays with some heat on the defensive end sometimes. Thelen, I don't think is quick enough OR physical enough so I don't know if we will see him on Pittman.

I know Pittman is physical down low, never said he wasn't. I just think he uses his talking too much and could afford to use a bit more of his body. And I agree Wellbrock and Thelen play too timid and soft but hopefully they realize there isnt a need to do that this game and go at him. I think Wellbrock def. can. He plays with some heat on the defensive end sometimes. Thelen, I don't think is quick enough OR physical enough so I don't know if we will see him on Pittman.

His game backs up his talking though. ;)

I agree that he could use his body more but he's gotten much better with this since the last time you saw him against SC.

I'd have to disagree with Wellbrock being able to guard Pittman though, regardless of how much intensity he plays with. He would get very frustrated with Pittman being physical defensively and Pittman jawing in his ear constantly would get in his head. Pittman is too big for Wellbrock too, to be honest. Isler is much smarter defensively than Wellbrock, which is why I doubt we'll see Wellbrock on him much. IMO Thelen will guard Pittman more than Wellbrock...

I think if Pittman goes outside then Isler will play off him and keep closer to the paint. As far as I know anytime the guy he is guarding goes out, Isler is told to stay in always to guard the paint. Pittman will either have a night where he hits the threes and if that is the case he'll get in his face, or he'll have a night where he doesn't and then it won't matter. All of the CovCath players are going to have to help each other...

I think the key to that post is the last sentence. One on one CCH can't match up with any of the Holmes players. From talking to Henley, expect Holmes to go right at the CCH bigs early...

I agree that he could use his body more but he's gotten much better with this since the last time you saw him against SC.

I'd have to disagree with Wellbrock being able to guard Pittman though, regardless of how much intensity he plays with. He would get very frustrated with Pittman being physical defensively and Pittman jawing in his ear constantly would get in his head. Pittman is too big for Wellbrock too, to be honest. Isler is much smarter defensively than Wellbrock, which is why I doubt we'll see Wellbrock on him much. IMO Thelen will guard Pittman more than Wellbrock...

I think the key to that post is the last sentence. One on one CCH can't match up with any of the Holmes players. From talking to Henley, expect Holmes to go right at the CCH bigs early...

Eta spilled the game plan. :rolleyes::lol:

Personally I think Henley should revise his game plan then, lol I'd go right for the guards. But HEY stick with that one. I'd much rather see some physical inside play, you know how I feel about that.

I also agree that Pittman talking in Wellbrocks ear would get to his head, but Wellbrock needs to be able to handle that.

I understand Pittmans game backs his mouth up? Never said it didn't. I am a fan of Pittman's. But IMO he should fine tune his play rather then worry about talking smack to people.

Irrelevant

Irrelevant? I guess if you don't get around via a wheel chair it just might be, but if you do, it just might be important to you... You do understand that there is a little Federal regulation called the American Disability Act that just might disagree with your comment about being Irrelevant!

BTW, by the grace of God I am a healthy adult, but I work daily with many adult whose mobility is totally dependent upon their chairs....

Edited by Theoldguy

Irrelevant? I guess if you don't get around via a wheel chair it just might not be, but if you do, it just might be important to you... You do understand that there is a little Federal regulation called the American Disability Act that just might disagree with your comment about being Irrelevant!

BTW, by the grace of God I am a healthy adult, but I work daily with many adult whose mobility is totally dependent upon their chairs....

:thumb:

Pittman talks trash to everyone-he is going to tell whoever he going up against him that he can't guard him. He will tell him don't bring the ball in here. He will tell him that he will cross him over then dunk it on him, then you know what? He does what he just told him what he was going to do. He backs up all the smack he talks. If you can get into the other players head, that is a great offense or defense. I like it, :devil: