Holmes v Covington Catholic (1/14)

Who wins?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

lol, I know we don't have any other option at point right now, but I just don't think he's ready for it. I'd rather sees Ives and Maile up there with the ball ya know? I don't see Holmes doing too much pressing though.

I agree. I think Maile and Ives bringing the ball up would be a much better idea.

I too don't think Holmes will press much but as you know, Henley has been scouting CCH a lot this year so it wouldn't surprise me if he did come out with a press.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only averaging 1 to 2 threes a game if I was guarding Pittman man to man I'd just let him shoot. I'd rather give up a couple threes and feel comfortable about him not beating me on my first step into the paint where he's unstoppable than be taken to the whole all night. Maybe you can take a chance and hope he's just having an off night. Then staying off of him won't be an issue at all.

You could be right.

I was thinking more along the lines of how do you guard him in a man D. At 24%, I'd back off and see if he can make more than one from out there.

As you know the challenge with the zone is not the first shot, its the offensive rebounds that come with it. If you don't go looking for a body to block out, its a high chance there will be a stick back.

With that said, I think we'll still see mainly man.

Man d, honestly would be too tough. Pittman may not be shooting well from outside but you can't give him too big of a opening or he'll knock it down, and if you play him closely, he is good enough handling the ball to get in the lane.

That's why CCH will likely play zone. The only problem I see with CCH playing a zone though is keeping Holmes off the offensive glass. That's the one reason you haven't see Coach L use a zone against Holmes in probably the past 5 years. I'm thinking Coach L much rather get beat from outside than have Holmes drive the lane all night and get baskets in the paint...I think Coach L will come out in a zone and see how Holmes handles it and if they're knocking down shots from outside, he'll quickly switch to a man.

I agree with not going on out him and see if he can make one or two first. If not, let him shoot it ya know? That is probably how Isler would guard him anyways, watching his man in the games, he watches the paint.

I think if CovCath comes out in zone [which I'm almost positive they will] and it works, we'll see it the whole time. Holmes is too fast for man for us.

Also agree on putbacks though. PUT A BUTT ON SOMEONE. lol

If Covcath can keep Holmes off the offensive glass they'll stay in a zone regardless IMO. As you said man would really hurt the Colonels more than a zone.

Only averaging 1 to 2 threes a game if I was guarding Pittman man to man I'd just let him shoot. I'd rather give up a couple threes and feel comfortable about him not beating me on my first step into the paint where he's unstoppable than be taken to the whole all night. Maybe you can take a chance and hope he's just having an off night. Then staying off of him won't be an issue at all.

I agree. As OYYT said, that's how Isler will probably play Pittman.

Man d, honestly would be too tough. Pittman may not be shooting well from outside but you can't give him too big of a opening or he'll knock it down, and if you play him closely, he is good enough handling the ball to get in the lane.

That's why CCH will likely play zone. The only problem I see with CCH playing a zone though is keeping Holmes off the offensive glass. That's the one reason you haven't see Coach L use a zone against Holmes in probably the past 5 years. I'm thinking Coach L much rather get beat from outside than have Holmes drive the lane all night and get baskets in the paint...I think Coach L will come out in a zone and see how Holmes handles it and if they're knocking down shots from outside, he'll quickly switch to a man.

If Covcath can keep Holmes off the offensive glass they'll stay in a zone regardless IMO. As you said man would really hurt the Colonels more than a zone.

Mike doesn't play zone. That's why you haven't seen him use it againt Holmes. He doesn't use it against anyone.

Mike doesn't play zone. That's why you haven't seen him use it againt Holmes. He doesn't use it against anyone.

I know he doesn't play zone against anyone. I was simply saying against Holmes, who historically has never been a good shooting team outside of the past two years, you'd never see a zone against them because Covcath would get killed on the offensive glass.

From what I have been led to believe he just might not return to playing basketball this season! Really a shame too for a young man to miss his senior year and not to be able to do something he is very, very good at and loves.

Sorry for replying to my own statement, but I was sent this via an E-mail to clarify Mitch Stover situation.

"Mitch has not been diagnosed with anything life threatening. It's a digestive issue that they are still trying to get a handle on, but they are very close. Nothing at all about him not playing this year. He still could."

So from the horses mouth so to speak....