Football Cost

Does your school CHARGE kids to play sports? I know that in Oldham County most Football programs charge anywhere from $300 to $400 per kid to participate in Football. To my knowledge, they do not get anything special for that money. I think all 3 high schools sell "gold Cards" to raise money for the t-shirt packs they get.

Why such the expense? Where is the School? Where is the Board?

If you look at South, those kids did not even get a win for their $350. WOW! Quite an investment for no reward.

Even North and OC that had very good seasons, what did those kids get for their money? Why so much?

I just don't understand and just wanted to see how widespread this "Charging for the right to participate" spread.

:confused::confused::confused:

Does your school CHARGE kids to play sports? I know that in Oldham County most Football programs charge anywhere from $300 to $400 per kid to participate in Football. To my knowledge, they do not get anything special for that money. I think all 3 high schools sell "gold Cards" to raise money for the t-shirt packs they get.

If you look at South, those kids did not even get a win for their $350. WOW! Quite an investment for no reward.

Even North and OC that had very good seasons, what did those kids get for their money? Why so much?

I just don't understand and just wanted to see how widespread this "Charging for the right to participate" spread.

This concept is nothing new as its happening across the country.

I'd argue though that the South kids reward was the chance to participate, learn teamwork lessons, and get the thrill of Friday night. They were rewarded.

Football (as I know everyone already knows) is a very expensive sport to support. All the equipment needs (new, rpairing, reconditioning) and uniforms, staff, field maintenance, etc, etc. Most schools have more students participating in football than any other sport, sometimes more than 2-3 other sports combined. Couple that with a minimal attendance at home games and their could me a major shortfall in the sport supporting itself. Of course that does not include money that has to be shared with other sports and groups. With the lack of budget money for such things as sports and other activities, this money has to come from somewhere. Ever increasing budget cuts have led to some schools already dropping other sports altogether. I know that players have been paying fees to play for years now and I am afraid it is somewhat of a necessity to stay competitive.

This concept is nothing new as its happening across the country.

I'd argue though that the South kids reward was the chance to participate, learn teamwork lessons, and get the thrill of Friday night. They were rewarded.

Nice summary of the rewards of playing high school sports. I agree whole heartedly.

Most schools football teams get no money from the school. They have to raise everything. Some don't even get to keep their gate money or concessions. If you are having to pay for buses, uniforms, shoulder pads, pants, girdles, pads, referees, reconditioning, mouth pieces, field usage fee's (yes, there are some schools that have to pay to use their own field) etc... These amounts add up and at most places its hard to fundraise all of that money. Also, some schools themselves charge an athletic fee to particpate in sports.

Have you ever thought that they get to participate in an organized sport. Maybe this goes toward the upkeep of the field, the equipment that your kid is wearing for safety, maybe transportation to the games, and other things that it takes to run a program. Believe me, it isnt cheap at all! Just because they dont have anything to put on their dresser or anything to show off doesnt mean they are getting ripped off.:irked:

Most schools football teams get no money from the school. They have to raise everything. Some don't even get to keep their gate money or concessions. If you are having to pay for buses, uniforms, shoulder pads, pants, girdles, pads, referees, reconditioning, mouth pieces, field usage fee's (yes, there are some schools that have to pay to use their own field) etc... These amounts add up and at most places its hard to fundraise all of that money. Also, some schools themselves charge an athletic fee to particpate in sports.

Actually, I believe that most school football teams in KY are paid for by the school. However, most have to raise money for some items that the school won't pay for. But equipment is generally paid for by the schools in most cases.

Just for comparison sake, my son just finished his 4th and last year with the Bassett Marching Band. We paid $600 every fall for him to participate, as did every student's family. We supplemented that with other fund raisers. The reason, the school system here gives $0 to the Marching Band.

It is hard to raise money right now for anything let alone football, it is the worst year I have seen since I have been involved in booster clubs. Nothing is selling and Businesses are struggling so they wont give much. Those burdens will be handed down or programs will have to downsize on what they buy.

Franklin County does not charge kids to play at all and usually does well in taking care of stuff with little school support, I think the school gives enough money to pay for officials and reconditioning.

Actually, I believe that most school football teams in KY are paid for by the school. However, most have to raise money for some items that the school won't pay for. But equipment is generally paid for by the schools in most cases.

I might have mis-stated with most. I would say that most get a little or nothing. Maybe about 50%. Fayette county football teams get no money from the school.

There was a fee, $50 I think, that we were to pay each year for my son to play football. Also, there is a fund raiser where each player is expected to sell a minimum of items (candles, decanters, food/restaurant cards, etc.) each year. And my wife and I were expected to participate in about 3-4 fund raiser activities each season.

I belive that the Booster clubs in Oldham County keep the gate money. Then they use that to help the non-revenue sports.

I don't disagree with their reward being a part of a team and so on and so forth. BUT, when you pay that much money for something, should you not get some enjoyment from that? If you dwell on that part you are missing the bigger issue. I do not remember ever having to pay to play growing up. I don't think Jefferson county teams pay to play. If you are paying for the tshirt packs or raising money for nicer stuff and so forth that is fine. It just seemed a little extrvegant to me that the fees were so high.

It is my understanding that basketball, baseball, band, not extra-curricular activity is exempt from these outrageous fees in the OC. Not everyone in the OC has money!