Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Football Cost

Featured Replies

I belive that the Booster clubs in Oldham County keep the gate money. Then they use that to help the non-revenue sports.

 

So let me get this straight. In Oldham Co. you have to pay to play football. Then the gate revenue football brings in is dispersed to other sports? That sounds like some kind of crime.

So let me get this straight. In Oldham Co. you have to pay to play football. Then the gate revenue football brings in is dispersed to other sports? That sounds like some kind of crime.

 

That is the way it is in Franklin County as well, as far as the gate goes.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

  • Author
So let me get this straight. In Oldham Co. you have to pay to play football. Then the gate revenue football brings in is dispersed to other sports? That sounds like some kind of crime.

 

YEP!

Pretty sure that if a student is hard up financially, they can work something out or let him fund raise his fee.

I belive that the Booster clubs in Oldham County keep the gate money. Then they use that to help the non-revenue sports.

 

I don't disagree with their reward being a part of a team and so on and so forth. BUT, when you pay that much money for something, should you not get some enjoyment from that? If you dwell on that part you are missing the bigger issue. I do not remember ever having to pay to play growing up. I don't think Jefferson county teams pay to play. If you are paying for the tshirt packs or raising money for nicer stuff and so forth that is fine. It just seemed a little extrvegant to me that the fees were so high.

 

It is my understanding that basketball, baseball, band, not extra-curricular activity is exempt from these outrageous fees in the OC. Not everyone in the OC has money!

 

I feel your pain!

 

Oldham County baseball is certainly not free. Every kid was responsible last year for $350...either out of their pocket or through fund-raising. The kids who raised more than $350 could "bank" the extra for next year or give it to a kid who needed the $$. My son raised over $350...but we still were out of pocket about another $300 in costs for the uniforms, cleats, etc.

 

Now it's important to note, he did get to keep his uniform. :D

 

But it's perhaps more important to note that the baseball team takes measures to ensure that no kid cannot participate due to finances. No kid is left on the sidelines because he can't afford new cleats.

 

We paid a fee for Cross Country, too, although it wasn't so much. But he didn't get to keep his uniform.

 

I'm not so sure the fees are all that outrageous...the primary job of the board of education is to educate students...and the money to do that is stretched painfully thin already. There's a reason why sports is considered "extra-curricular", despite its obvious benefits to the individuals involved - it's not required for educational purposes. And I can think of no other sports organization where you can participate for free...YMCA, Parks & Rec, Little League, etc.

 

At Oldham County HS, all income goes into one big pot, administered by the booster club. Each team has a representative on the club. And each team is responsible for contributing to the overall athletic fund-raising effort...for example, you'll see all the different teams taking turns at football and basketball concessions... And many of the teams go in together to conduct some fund-raising activities... If you don't contribute, your team gets less money. There's always some complaining, but the non-revenue sports could never survive otherwise...

I am quite familiar with athletic funding at Trimble County High School and the costs of the football program.

 

1) The board of education pays for the coaches salaries. They also pay for the upkeep of the facilities.

2) The school pays for half of the cost of transportation.

3) All of the gate money from football and basketball the previous year goes into the general athletic account. The booster club (operates concession stand) makes large contributions to the general account. (Any other money they have goes toward new concession stand equipment.) The athletic department also raises money by selling hoodies/tshirts. The vast majority of this money goes toward a budgetted amount that each sport is given. Football gets the most money (most expensive sport per player) then each basketball team. Each of the non-revenue producing sports (cross country, golf, cheerleading, volleyball, softball, baseball, track and field, and tennis) get a smaller cut.

4) To that, each team has to fundraise. For football, we have a fundraising event before the season starts, called Midnight Madness. Last year it raised $5000. Also, the team is asked to sell 20 discount cards (not required, but most members sell the majority of those cards, some sell more). We also raise money from field sign sponsorship, dues of our Alumni club, and JV concessions and gate.

 

Football expenses:

1) We calculated last year that the average amount to outfit an individual player (varies due to the cost of the shoulder pads, differs somewhat per position played) is $500. This includes shoulder pads, helmet, inside pads (thigh, knee, hip, butt), home and away jersey, home and away pants, belts, socks, and mouth pieces (which they will lose a couple of times during the season ;)). This does not include cleats. That is an individual purchase, though we do have about 50 pairs of used cleats that players can use during the season.

2) Cost of officials - about $400 per game.

3) Transportation - we pay half. This will be at least $1200.

4) We also provided food prior to every game, including JV games. Sometimes this was McDonalds, pizza, a BBQ shop catered one game, and the parents cooked for one game.

5) Helmets must be reconditioned every years.

6) A local bank sponsors a bowl game every year for us. From the money they give us, we buy tshirts for both teams and trophies for five players and the bowl champion.

7) We purchase all of the trophies that are given out at the banquet. There will usually be at least 10, not counting plaques for being chosen all-district or all-conference. We give tshirts for a certain category of award. Under our current (now previous) coach, we have given out a nice item such as a hoodie or pullover each year at the banquet. Each team member (player, manager, coach, statistician, etc) gets one.

8) There are way too many smaller expenses that I am going to forget, like laundry supplies, gatorade packs that are used for EVERY practice and game, medical supplies, touchdown fireworks, etc.

 

Those of you that have been to our field know that our facilities are the bare basics, to say the least. Poor lighting, poor field drainage, limited bleachers, limited parking for very large games, no field house, limited weight facilities, etc.

 

The one expense that the players were asked to pay for was $100 for camp.

 

Long story short - there is no overall fee. A great deal of fundraising goes into what the players do receive. I would say that we do the absolute BEST we can with what we have to work with. Charging a fee might allow us to use our fundraising to contribute to some of those facility needs that we have.

So let me get this straight. In Oldham Co. you have to pay to play football. Then the gate revenue football brings in is dispersed to other sports? That sounds like some kind of crime.

 

This is how most schools in KY are. Since football at most schools is considered the only revenue sport it does split it between the other sports.

  • Author

First of all I need to apologize to South Oldham. Someone thought that i do not like them or their team and that is not true. I was only saying that if you spend that kind of money you expect some enjoyment from that. I would be disapointed to spend $100 for a meal that I did not like. I would not want to spend $500 for a TV that did not have a good picture. That is all that was implied. Nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy high school football more than anything. I have been to games at every high school in the OC. Anyone would want all of the programs here to be successful. I am sure that is the goal of each school.

 

So for clarity sake, GO DRAGONS! GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! I will attend some of your games just as I will North and OC.

 

I know that it expensive to run any sports program. There are always costs that most of us do not think about but have to be paid. I was just bringing this up as to see what other systems, teams were up against during these ecomonically tough times.

 

I do believe that the system in OC has done a great job with facilities at all three high schools. You won't find better as a whole anywhere.

 

Sorry to offend.

First of all I need to apologize to South Oldham. Someone thought that i do not like them or their team and that is not true. I was only saying that if you spend that kind of money you expect some enjoyment from that. I would be disapointed to spend $100 for a meal that I did not like. I would not want to spend $500 for a TV that did not have a good picture. That is all that was implied. Nothing more, nothing less. I enjoy high school football more than anything. I have been to games at every high school in the OC. Anyone would want all of the programs here to be successful. I am sure that is the goal of each school.

 

So for clarity sake, GO DRAGONS! GOOD LUCK NEXT YEAR! I will attend some of your games just as I will North and OC.

 

I know that it expensive to run any sports program. There are always costs that most of us do not think about but have to be paid. I was just bringing this up as to see what other systems, teams were up against during these ecomonically tough times.

 

I do believe that the system in OC has done a great job with facilities at all three high schools. You won't find better as a whole anywhere.

 

Sorry to offend.

 

No offense taken...

 

Sorry to offend.

 

I'm betting anyone who was offended just read your post too quickly. No offense taken here...

At Louisville Western we have a very good, sports-minded new principal (a former AD), but we are one of the “have-nots” when it comes to dollars available for sports. The school does help with the necessities like helmets and shoulder pads, although 90% of what we have now looks to be 3-5 years old, or more and will have to be replaced sooner than later.

 

Things like uniforms and “spirit packs” have to come from us.

 

We do get 100% of our gate, but none of the concessions (basketball). And due to previous scheduling and Hurricane Ike, we only had three home games this season. Two of which, Southern and Shawnee, brought such a scant crowd you could probably count them with fingers and toes. Combine that with having to pay bills from the previous staff we are working on 2009 with less than zero.

 

Hopefully that will change this season with home games vs. Male, Butler, DeSales and Fairdale.

 

We do charge each player $50, which goes for the KHSAA mandated catastrophic insurance, tryout fee and physical.

At Louisville Western we have a very good, sports-minded new principal (a former AD), but we are one of the “have-nots” when it comes to dollars available for sports. The school does help with the necessities like helmets and shoulder pads, although 90% of what we have now looks to be 3-5 years old, or more and will have to be replaced sooner than later.

 

Things like uniforms and “spirit packs” have to come from us.

 

We do get 100% of our gate, but none of the concessions (basketball). And due to previous scheduling and Hurricane Ike, we only had three home games this season. Two of which, Southern and Shawnee, brought such a scant crowd you could probably count them with fingers and toes. Combine that with having to pay bills from the previous staff we are working on 2009 with less than zero.

 

Hopefully that will change this season with home games vs. Male, Butler, DeSales and Fairdale.

 

We do charge each player $50, which goes for the KHSAA mandated catastrophic insurance, tryout fee and physical.

 

What is a tryout fee?

What is a tryout fee?

Like the insurance, it's something the KHSAA says is manditory. I think it's been $5 the past several years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.