Elliott County tops Cantrall’s first ratings.

The problem with Holmes is they have had several games that the final score was a little to close for the competition they were playing. Such as the Conner and Seneca games. Also having a close game with Ballard, which Scott Co. beat by 20. Most people would think that Holmes or Elliott Co. should be #1. But on a computer ranking, you never know what will happen.

I do believe that Elliott Co. should be ranked #1. To do as well as they did in SC, they should be rewarded. However I am with another poster in that I dont think there is a big difference in any of the top three.

Last time I checked a W is a W thought, regardless of margin. Sure Scott Co beat Ballard by 20, but Holmes beat both Ballard and Scott Co, so not sure what you're getting at there.

The Seneca game was close but Holmes still won by 11 despite Seneca making 14 three pointers and 9 alone in the second half. Seneca would have gave ANY TEAM in the state a good game that night, the way they shot against Holmes. If anything, it shows how good Holmes is since they won by double digits, despite a career night for Seneca from behind the arc.

Also in the Conner game, Pittman sat all of the first half. When he returned several minutes in to the third, Holmes started taking over. People fail to mention these little things. They look at the final score as an indicator of how the game was played.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickering played three games at the Beach Ball Classic, going 1-2 ...

They lost to 74-68 to Wheeler (GA)

They beat Mann (SC) 69-56

They lost 77-68 to Elliott County

If you take those scores and compare them to the CalPreps rating for each team, Pickering comes out to be about a 24.7 ... right there with Corbin. Not quite top-10, but not bad, either.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.

Pickering had a lot of athleticism on their team. They had a nice showing at the tourney - they just ran into two really good teams.

First off anyone who would say that Scott Co. was the greatest team ever assembled in Ky is probably off their rocker. :lol: They hadn't even played a game.

Secondly. Scott Co. outscored Holmes every quarter, but the 1st according to the paper, so I wouldn't call that domination from start to finish. Holmes should be #1 right now IMO, but I think just like you are trying to get the Elliott Co. fans to do, its good to atleast put things in perspective.

Anyone who was at the game, saw Holmes dominate from start to finish. They held a 12-15 point lead almost the entire game. When JJ went out with I believe 5 minutes to play, that was when SC made their run and got the lead down to 7. When he came back in, Holmes immediately pushed their lead back out to 12 within a minute. Game was never in question. The only thing in question was how close SC would make the final.

I agree with your final sentence though. Just trying to put in perspective that when looking at Holmes, they have a much stronger case for #1 than anyone else being mentioned.

Anyone who was at the game, saw Holmes dominate from start to finish. They held a 12-15 point lead almost the entire game. When JJ went out with I believe 5 minutes to play, that was when SC made their run and got the lead down to 7. When he came back in, Holmes immediately pushed their lead back out to 12 within a minute. Game was never in question. The only thing in question was how close SC would make the final.

I agree with your final sentence though. Just trying to put in perspective that when looking at Holmes, they have a much stronger case for #1 than anyone else being mentioned.

I don't ever remember it getting pushed back to 12. I also remember Guyn missing a jumper that would have either cut it to 2 or tied it with a little over a minute left. A win is a win. There is no question about that. But I am sure that if you go back and watch the game you would see that Scott Co. was in the game fairly late in it.

Last time I checked a W is a W thought, regardless of margin. Sure Scott Co beat Ballard by 20, but Holmes beat both Ballard and Scott Co, so not sure what you're getting at there.

The Seneca game was close but Holmes still won by 11 despite Seneca making 14 three pointers and 9 alone in the second half. Seneca would have gave ANY TEAM in the state a good game that night, the way they shot against Holmes. If anything, it shows how good Holmes is since they won by double digits, despite a career night for Seneca from behind the arc.

Also in the Conner game, Pittman sat all of the first half. When he returned several minutes in to the third, Holmes started taking over. People fail to mention these little things. They look at the final score as an indicator of how the game was played.

What I was getting at that on a computer poll a big portion of how the poll was put together was margin of victory.

Holmes is a good team they could be ranked #1 and I would have no problem with it. But they have put up a few bad games that will go against them in a computer poll.

I don't ever remember it getting pushed back to 12. I also remember Guyn missing a jumper that would have either cut it to 2 or tied it with a little over a minute left. A win is a win. There is no question about that. But I am sure that if you go back and watch the game you would see that Scott Co. was in the game fairly late in it.

Guyn missed a jumper and Manning missed a layup with a little over two minutes left that would have cut the game to two.

Not torn to pieces over the ranking. :lol:

Was just stating that Holmes has proved more than any other team in the state to deserve the #1 ranking. How many other teams player FOUR top 10 teams in the state in December alone and knocked off two teams ranked #1 at the time of competition?

Any knowledgable basketball fan who isn't biased will tell you Holmes is most deserving and has proved themselves more than anyone else. At the beginning of the season people were talking about SC being the best assembled team EVER in KY history and Holmes absolutely dominated them from start to finish. Until someone beats Holmes they are the #1 team regardless of how anyone wants to spin it.

Top ten by whose opinion? According to you the rankings dont mean nothing and everyone that dont have holmes #1 is wrong. So how do we know that four were top 4 and they beat two # 1's. There is no posiible way because the rankings are incorrect and don't mean anything:D

You saying you aren't biased:rolleyes:

Bryan Station beat Holme's:eek:

I have watched it several times.

Closest SC ever got in the final minutes was 3. Manning missed a shot that would have cut the lead to one and then Holmes pushed their lead back out to 8. Guyn hit a 3 with around 10 seconds left to cut the lead to 5, Ricardo got fouled on the next possession, pushed the lead to 7, and Jackson made a lay up with 3 seconds left to cut the final to 5. :thumb:

What I was getting at that on a computer poll a big portion of how the poll was put together was margin of victory.

Holmes is a good team they could be ranked #1 and I would have no problem with it. But they have put up a few bad games that will go against them in a computer poll.

I can agree with that. :thumb:

[/b]

Top ten by whose opinion? According to you the rankings dont mean nothing and everyone that dont have holmes #1 is wrong. So how do we know that four were top 4 and they beat two # 1's. There is no posiible way because the rankings are incorrect and don't mean anything:D

You saying you aren't biased:rolleyes:

Bryan Station beat Holme's:eek:

According to the BGP poll, Lexington Herald, and Courier Journal, Bryan Station and Scott Co were both #1 when Holmes beat them. Ballard was I believe #7 when Holmes beat them and now they're #8.

Bryan Station beat Holmes in the SECOND game of the season and they were 11-15 from behind the arc with two players combining for 61 points. I'd say they would have beaten any team that night. I'd also say an 18 point win on Station's floor is much more impressive than a 14 point win for Station over Holmes on a neutral floor.

And of course I'm biased toward Holmes. I've also seen a lot of the other top teams and players from around the state though to give an educated assessment on those teams and players as well.

Pickering played three games at the Beach Ball Classic, going 1-2 ...

They lost to 74-68 to Wheeler (GA)

They beat Mann (SC) 69-56

They lost 77-68 to Elliott County

If you take those scores and compare them to the CalPreps rating for each team, Pickering comes out to be about a 24.7 ... right there with Corbin. Not quite top-10, but not bad, either.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.

Wheeler is ranked 26th in the Nation.

Ceder Hill is ranked 38th in the nation.

I agree with this statement. I don't think the goal of every coach is to see how bad they can beat their opponent. Many call the dogs off early in an effort to show sportsmanship. I think that is where computer rankings can go awry. But the bottom line is there isn't a poll out there that is perfect including the BGP poll (just my opinion).

I like Holmes at #1 because their record is proven in KY as they have beaten the highest quality opponents. I really like Elliott Co. and think they can compete with any of the top teams. I love the way they handle and pass the ball, and when they are on from three they can beat anyone in KY.

A Holmes/Elliott Co match up would be more than worth the price of admission!!!!!

According to the BGP poll, Lexington Herald, and Courier Journal, Bryan Station and Scott Co were both #1 when Holmes beat them. Ballard was I believe #7 when Holmes beat them and now they're #8.

Bryan Station beat Holmes in the SECOND game of the season and they were 11-15 from behind the arc with two players combining for 61 points. I'd say they would have beaten any team that night. I'd also say an 18 point win on Station's floor is much more impressive than a 14 point win for Station over Holmes on a neutral floor.

And of course I'm biased toward Holmes. I've also seen a lot of the other top teams and players from around the state though to give an educated assessment on those teams and players as well.

You didn't get my point. The rankings according to what you have been saying dont mean anything and don't matter. But because it benefits you to say that scott and BS were number one in those rankings above they are supposed to be legit. If one set aren't legit none of them are. And they really aren,t .

its just a matter of opinion! You are biased and so am I. Elliott is #1 to me and Holmes is # 1 to you. I also travel the state over continously watching and assessing teams and players. :thumb:

I agree with this statement. I don't think the goal of every coach is to see how bad they can beat their opponent. Many call the dogs off early in an effort to show sportsmanship. I think that is where computer rankings can go awry. But the bottom line is there isn't a poll out there that is perfect including the BGP poll (just my opinion).

I like Holmes at #1 because their record is proven in KY as they have beaten the highest quality opponents. I really like Elliott Co. and think they can compete with any of the top teams. I love the way they handle and pass the ball, and when they are on from three they can beat anyone in KY.

A Holmes/Elliott Co match up would be more than worth the price of admission!!!!!

I agree.