Elliott County tops Cantrall’s first ratings.

You didn't get my point. The rankings according to what you have been saying dont mean anything and don't matter. But because it benefits you to say that scott and BS were number one in those rankings above they are supposed to be legit. If one set aren't legit none of them are. And they really aren,t .

its just a matter of opinion! You are biased and so am I. Elliott is #1 to me and Holmes is # 1 to you. I also travel the state over continously watching and assessing teams and players. :thumb:

Guess we'll just have to end this debate on that note then.

Obviously we both have reasons we think the team we support is #1...guess we'll just have to wait until March to settle it on the court.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't say huge drop -off after Holmes and Boone.....just after Holmes. Boone will find out soon when they begin playing locals that they are not way better then HHS, NCC, Ryle, Conner Scott, HC etc. Not saying they don't deserve to be ranked second in NKY at this point, but they are not way ahead of the rest.

I would say that the gap between #1 Holmes and #2 Boone Co is closer than Boone and the # 3 team. I think alot of people are too hung up on how Boone county end thier season last year. It will be interesting to see how the 9th region plays out.

Guess we'll just have to end this debate on that note then.

Obviously we both have reasons we think the team we support is #1...guess we'll just have to wait until March to settle it on the court.

Elliott is looking to fill an cancellation. If you have any ties to Holmes staff have them call coach mays.

How could the top 5 be picked out of hat when Holmes has beaten 2 of those top 5 teams???

Let's see...

3-1 vs top 10

W's- #3 Scott Co, #4 Bryan Station (both #1 at the time), #8 Ballard

Avenged their only loss with an 18 point win over Station ON STATION'S HOME FLOOR

Combined 5-1 against the 7th and 11th regions

W's- Scott Co, Bryan Station, Tates Creek, Ballard, Seneca

12-1 record

I think Holmes has more than proved themselves the best team in the state. If not for an early season let down in the second game of the year, we'd be talking about Holmes being undefeated right now.

2-3-4 could be picked out of a hat but IMO no way you can rank any of the other teams above Holmes when looking at their resume. Scott Co and Holmes are the only two teams to even play top 5 competition and that's because they played eachother. Until someone knocks off Holmes, IMO they are the #1 team in the state regardless of what the silly computer systems say.

EC is no doubt a top 3 team in the state, but IMO the only reason they're even ranked #1 in Cantrall's, Maxpreps, and Calpreps is because of their margin of victory over lesser opponents. That's not a knock on them at all as they are clearly as good as advertised and can't help the fact that their region is down. I ask you this though; Would EC have the same record playing Holmes, Scott Co, or J'town's schedule? Think about that and you'll realize why Holmes is (AT THIS POINT) the clear #1.

You could turn that question around and say the same thing for those teams you listed if they had played EC. Would thier record be as good? Now in no way am I saying that EC is better than any of the teams you spoke on. But I saying EC is a worthy opponent and is very capable of beating ANYONE this state has to offer.

Now I have seen Holmes play this year. I know how good they are. I am one who believes that you can't really go wrong with either one. But the schedule thing won't have anything to do with how well Elliott does come postseason. EC has some of the best, most seasoned guards in the state. In high school basketball, you will almost always put yourself in a position to win with good guard play. You can't say they can't win close games anymore because they have obviously proved they can aganist good competition.

The great thing about rankings are, they mean nothing. They won't win or lose you a game come postseason. It will all be settled on the court, which I bet is exactly what both these teams are looking forward to doing.

You could turn that question around and say the same thing for those teams you listed if they had played EC. Would thier record be as good? Now in no way am I saying that EC is better than any of the teams you spoke on. But I saying EC is a worthy opponent and is very capable of beating ANYONE this state has to offer.

Now I have seen Holmes play this year. I know how good they are. I am one who believes that you can't really go wrong with either one. But the schedule thing won't have anything to do with how well Elliott does come postseason. EC has some of the best, most seasoned guards in the state. In high school basketball, you will almost always but yourself in a position to win with good guard play. You can't say they can't win close games anymore because they have obviously proved they can aganist good competition.

The great thing about rankings are, they mean nothing. They won't win or lose you a game come postseason. It will all be settled on the court, which I bet is exactly what both these teams are looking forward to doing.

:thumb::thumb:

Myrtle Beach is 4-6 ... none of their wins have come over a team with a winning record. You're telling us that they are a top 10-level team in Kentucky?

Yeah, right ...

Myrtle Beach would be atleast top 15 in Kentucky. They are 4-6 because they lost their first five games of the season while their starting five was winning a state football championship. After they got their football players back, Elliott Co was their first loss. By the way, they are the defending 3A state champions in South Carolina and return 4 staters. Preseason #1 team in 3A according to the coaches of South Carolina.:thumb:

Pickering played three games at the Beach Ball Classic, going 1-2 ...

They lost to 74-68 to Wheeler (GA)

They beat Mann (SC) 69-56

They lost 77-68 to Elliott County

If you take those scores and compare them to the CalPreps rating for each team, Pickering comes out to be about a 24.7 ... right there with Corbin. Not quite top-10, but not bad, either.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.

Pickerning was a very good team even though their record at the BBC doesnt prove that. They got unlucky and ran onto some very good teams. They were 70-2 last year and heading into the game with Elliott Co were 26-4 on the season. They also can play 5th year seniors.

Now, with that said, who should be #1? As Eta has stated Holmes has done a lot to prove that they may be the #1 team in the state. I think Elliott Co is just as deserving and has proved that beating several very good out of state teams and taking care of business with who they should beat. I dont think either is a CLEAR CUT #1 but I do think that you could draw those 2 out of a hat, at this point, for the #1 ranking with Scott Co, J Town, and Eastern just outside of those two. March can't come soon enough.

Myrtle Beach would be atleast top 15 in Kentucky. They are 4-6 because they lost their first five games of the season while their starting five was winning a state football championship. After they got their football players back, Elliott Co was their first loss. By the way, they are the defending 3A state champions in South Carolina and return 4 staters. Preseason #1 team in 3A according to the coaches of South Carolina.:thumb:
No, Elliott County wasn't their first loss since the football players returned ... they lost their first-round game at the Beach Ball Classic. That's why they were in the consolation bracket. They're 3-2 since the football players returned.

And in their last game at the Beach Ball, they had a two-point win over another South Carolina team with a losing record.

So what does that tell me? Their football players are less than a month out of football and they barely beat an under-.500 team in their most recent game. It also tells me that they're probably not a great team right now, either.

Elliott is looking to fill an cancellation. If you have any ties to Holmes staff have them call coach mays.

It's a two way street there chief. I don't see Coach Henley's phone ringing off the hook trying to get a game with them. Only teams I heard of EC trying to get to fill the void are Franklin Co. and Manual.

BTW, a few NKY coaches already TRIED getting a game with EC only to be told "No thanks." :sssh:

Do you really put much stock in national rankings?

I saw Wheeler at the Marshall County Hoopfest ... they ain't the 26th best team in the country.

Just becuase you seen them play they are not the 26th best team in the nation?:rolleyes:

They have 2 kids going to the ACC and 1 more that will sign D1 but you seen them play and they are not the 26th best team in the Nation.

Well guess what I seen them play 3 times and they are better then 26th in the Nation.:sssh:

IMO I think everybody has to wait to see who all makes it out of there region, before we debate the best teams. The 7th and 11th once again are stacked and it wouldn't be a big surprise, if the number 1 team from each region doesn't even make it to Rupp, and the same could be said for Holmes there not penciled in. Now if we get EC, Holmes, J-town, and SC all at Rupp we will see who the best is. I'm rooting for all the top teams to get to Rupp, so we can have a showcase of Ky's finest. Until than we just won't know.

It's a two way street there chief. I don't see Coach Henley's phone ringing off the hook trying to get a game with them. Only teams I heard of EC trying to get to fill the void are Franklin Co. and Manual.

BTW, a few NKY coaches already TRIED getting a game with EC only to be told "No thanks." :sssh:

I bet those NKY coaches werent willing to come to Sandy Hook?:sssh:

I feel pretty confident that if Holmes, Scott Co, or J'town played any one of EC's opponents they would likely have the same record as EC, if not undefeated. I think SC and Holmes would have beat Cedar Hill though because they wouldn't have been able to exploit those two down low, the way they did EC.

I have stated over and over that EC is a top 2 or 3 team. There's no debating that. I was simply implying the reason for them being ranked #1 was because of their margin of victory over lesser opponents. (Which again isn't their fault that their region is down, but stating Holmes and SC are ranked below them because they've played a tougher schedule and not had the big margin of victory that computers factor in)

Now I have seen Holmes play this year. I know how good they are.[/b] I am one who believes that you can't really go wrong with either one. But the schedule thing won't have anything to do with how well Elliott does come postseason. EC has some of the best, most seasoned guards in the state. In high school basketball, you will almost always put yourself in a position to win with good guard play. You can't say they can't win close games anymore because they have obviously proved they can aganist good competition.

I agree that you can't go wrong with either one, but was just stating AT THIS POINT, Holmes has played the tougher schedule. I feel like they've proved more IN STATE than EC which is why they're MY #1 team. It's really tough to gauge how out of state teams would do against our top teams from seeing one game. I have no doubt in my mind that EC's schedule won't affect them come March, but am just trying to justify the reasoning for EC being ranked #1 ONLY in computer polls that use math formulas to come up with their rankings.

Just becuase you seen them play they are not the 26th best team in the nation?:rolleyes:

They have 2 kids going to the ACC and 1 more that will sign D1 but you seen them play and they are not the 26th best team in the Nation.

Well guess what I seen them play 3 times and they are better then 26th in the Nation.:sssh:

Anyone that saw them at Marshall County will attest ... they looked nothing like a national top-30 team. You can watch the video of that game, if you wish.

That's the problem with national rankings ... just because a team has some recruits, someone thinks they should be nationally ranked. Wheeler's record so far doesn't sell it very well.