Elliott County tops Cantrall’s first ratings.

Yea! and you havent beat Elliott yet!;)

I have watched all the teams play more than once and formed my opinon

that there was not a CLEAR CUT # 1. I am not saying they are not a great team I am saying they are not CLEAR CUT as you put it. Bryan Station can attest to that. The two are 1-1 regardless of margin. They could play again and BS might win by 18 who knows. Elliott has also beat some teams in the caliber of Holmes and BS. They were not Ky teams but so what...they were very good and sizable and athletic and had signed D1 players etc. etc.

Honestly, the whole out of state thing is kind of old. You can't compare out of state teams to teams in Kentucky, when we'll never know how they'd match up since they don't play. Obviously the EC fans are going to have a biased opinion to make their wins look better. Beating teams from out of state is nice, but doesn't help you win a state title. Also, the only RANKED team that EC played they lost to, so that isn't really helping the argument. A L is a L no matter how you look at it.

Holmes may very well not be "clear cut" #1 in your mind, but they are definetly more deserving of the #1 ranking than any other team in the state. Their record and schedule speaks for itself.

I find it comical how after Holmes wipes the floor with BS, people finally give them the credit they deserve but a silly computer ranking puts a different team at #1 and those same people argue that EC should be #1. :confused::lol:

Again, rankings are nice, but the only one that matters is the one after March 21st.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read post 71. My argument wasn't about # 1. It was about You cant throw top 5 in hat cause Holmes is ....WAAAAAAAY above the pack and that is not true except in your mind!

Did you see the Holmes/SC or second Holmes/Bryan Station game? I'm going to guess no because anyone who did realizes why, AT THIS POINT, Holmes is above the pack.

Honestly, the whole out of state thing is kind of old. You can't compare out of state teams to teams in Kentucky, when we'll never know how they'd match up since they don't play. Obviously the EC fans are going to have a biased opinion to make their wins look better. Beating teams from out of state is nice, but doesn't help you win a state title. Also, the only RANKED team that EC played they lost to, so that isn't really helping the argument. A L is a L no matter how you look at it.

Holmes may very well not be "clear cut" #1 in your mind, but they are definetly more deserving of the #1 ranking than any other team in the state. Their record and schedule speaks for itself.

I find it comical how after Holmes wipes the floor with BS, people finally give them the credit they deserve but a silly computer ranking puts a different team at #1 and those same people argue that EC should be #1. :confused::lol:

Again, rankings are nice, but the only one that matters is the one after March 21st.

Who else in Kentucky has beaten a top 10 nationally ranked team this season? I'm not trying to argue, but just out of curiousity.

Eta, there is no firm explanation of why Elliot should be ahead of Holmes because there is none, plain and simple, Holmes is the best right now or atleast until they are beaten again or if they play Elliot and lose, and until any of those happen, they are the best.

Well said. :thumb:

Who else in Kentucky has beaten a top 10 nationally ranked team this season? I'm not trying to argue, but just out of curiousity.

Cedar Hill wasn't top 10 in the nation. They aren't even the best team in Texas. I believe they were ranked outside of the top 5 when it comes to Texas teams.

To answer your question, the answer is nobody.

If march is the only one that matters then there is no need for you to be tore all to pieces because the computer dont know what its talking about and others have their own opinion of who is better. More than one ranking service possibly even three has Elliott #1. I guess I am just going to take their word for it because "it doesnt really matter anyway":thumb:

Cedar Hill wasn't top 10 in the nation. They aren't even the best team in Texas. I believe they were ranked outside of the top 5 when it comes to Texas teams.

To answer your question, the answer is nobody.

Actually, heading into the Beach Ball Classic, Cedar Hill was #38 nationally and Duncanville was #40. There were no teams from Kentucky in the top 50. The new rankings will be coming out soon.

The problem with Holmes is they have had several games that the final score was a little to close for the competition they were playing. Such as the Conner and Seneca games. Also having a close game with Ballard, which Scott Co. beat by 20. Most people would think that Holmes or Elliott Co. should be #1. But on a computer ranking, you never know what will happen.

I do believe that Elliott Co. should be ranked #1. To do as well as they did in SC, they should be rewarded. However I am with another poster in that I dont think there is a big difference in any of the top three.

Did you see the Holmes/SC or second Holmes/Bryan Station game? I'm going to guess no because anyone who did realizes why, AT THIS POINT, Holmes is above the pack.

Your guess is wrong. I saw them both, but my mind is cluttered with my favorite team just as your's is and thats why, AT THIS POINT I don't think they are above the pack.:eek:

It really didn't have anything to do with it. I watched the game very closely. Elliott had plenty of open shots - more than enough to win the game. Its hard to beat a nationally ranked team shooting 4-30 from the 3-point line.

Its hard to beat any good team shooting that bad. Elliott relies so much on 3s that against one of the best teams that could be a problem. They are a very good team no question. They play hard and are skilled, but say what you want, its simply unknown how they would stack up against say Holmes, Scott Co, J'town, Eastern, etc.

Let's see - was Myrtle Beach the only team they beat? :sleep:
For the record:

CalPreps has Cedar Hill ranked fifth in Texas ... their power rating would have them at #1 in Kentucky.

CalPreps has Southside ranked third in South Carolina ... their power rating would have them in the top 10 in Kentucky, even with Ballard and Bryan Station.

Take those for whatever they're worth ...

If march is the only one that matters then there is no need for you to be tore all to pieces because the computer dont know what its talking about and others have their own opinion of who is better. More than one ranking service possibly even three has Elliott #1. I guess I am just going to take their word for it because "it doesnt really matter anyway":thumb:

Not torn to pieces over the ranking. :lol:

Was just stating that Holmes has proved more than any other team in the state to deserve the #1 ranking. How many other teams player FOUR top 10 teams in the state in December alone and knocked off two teams ranked #1 at the time of competition?

Any knowledgable basketball fan who isn't biased will tell you Holmes is most deserving and has proved themselves more than anyone else. At the beginning of the season people were talking about SC being the best assembled team EVER in KY history and Holmes absolutely dominated them from start to finish. Until someone beats Holmes they are the #1 team regardless of how anyone wants to spin it.

For the record:

CalPreps has Cedar Hill ranked fifth in Texas ... their power rating would have them at #1 in Kentucky.

CalPreps has Southside ranked third in South Carolina ... their power rating would have them in the top 10 in Kentucky, even with Ballard and Bryan Station.

Take those for whatever they're worth ...

I wouldn't put alot of faith in CalPreps. They are bizarrely wrong on the Kentucky ratings - even counting girl's scores in the boy's rankings :lol:

Not torn to pieces over the ranking. :lol:

Was just stating that Holmes has proved more than any other team in the state to deserve the #1 ranking. How many other teams player FOUR top 10 teams in the state in December alone and knocked off two teams ranked #1 at the time of competition?

Any knowledgable basketball fan who isn't biased will tell you Holmes is most deserving and has proved themselves more than anyone else. At the beginning of the season people were talking about SC being the best assembled team EVER in KY history and Holmes absolutely dominated them from start to finish. Until someone beats Holmes they are the #1 team regardless of how anyone wants to spin it.

First off anyone who would say that Scott Co. was the greatest team ever assembled in Ky is probably off their rocker. :lol: They hadn't even played a game.

Secondly. Scott Co. outscored Holmes every quarter, but the 1st according to the paper, so I wouldn't call that domination from start to finish. Holmes should be #1 right now IMO, but I think just like you are trying to get the Elliott Co. fans to do, its good to atleast put things in perspective.

Pickering played three games at the Beach Ball Classic, going 1-2 ...

They lost to 74-68 to Wheeler (GA)

They beat Mann (SC) 69-56

They lost 77-68 to Elliott County

If you take those scores and compare them to the CalPreps rating for each team, Pickering comes out to be about a 24.7 ... right there with Corbin. Not quite top-10, but not bad, either.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me.