Palin Attacks Obama on ‘Palling Around with Terrorists’

Charming guy...

No Regrets for a Love Of Explosives; In a Memoir of Sorts, a War Protester Talks of Life With the Weathermen

''I don't regret setting bombs,'' Bill Ayers said. ''I feel we didn't do enough.'' Mr. Ayers, who spent the 1970's as a fugitive in the Weather Underground, was sitting in the kitchen of his big turn-of-the-19th-century stone house in the Hyde Park district of Chicago. The long curly locks in his Wanted poster are shorn, though he wears earrings. He still has tattooed on his neck the rainbow-and-lightning Weathermen logo that appeared on letters taking responsibility for bombings. And he still has the ebullient, ingratiating manner, the apparently intense interest in other people, that made him a charismatic figure in the radical student movement.

Now he has written a book, ''Fugitive Days'' (Beacon Press, September). Mr. Ayers, who is 56, calls it a memoir, somewhat coyly perhaps, since he also says some of it is fiction. He writes that he participated in the bombings of New York City Police Headquarters in 1970, of the Capitol building in 1971, the Pentagon in 1972. But Mr. Ayers also seems to want to have it both ways, taking responsibility for daring acts in his youth, then deflecting it.

''Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon,'' he writes. But then comes a disclaimer: ''Even though I didn't actually bomb the Pentagon -- we bombed it, in the sense that Weathermen organized it and claimed it.'' He goes on to provide details about the manufacture of the bomb and how a woman he calls Anna placed the bomb in a restroom. No one was killed or injured, though damage was extensive.

Between 1970 and 1974 the Weathermen took responsibility for 12 bombings, Mr. Ayers writes, and also helped spring Timothy Leary (sentenced on marijuana charges) from jail.

So, would Mr. Ayers do it all again, he is asked? ''I don't want to discount the possibility,'' he said.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: As Ronald Reagan might way, there you go again. Obama's relationship with Ayers is not ancient history as your "ten years ago" statement indicates. Talk about spin. :rolleyes:

You "xenophobic nonsense" characterization is both insulting and nonsensical. I am no sure what Bill Ayers' heritage is but I am pretty sure that he does not qualify as a target for xenophobic resentment.

To label American citizens who object to the idea of having a president who had a long relationship with a terrorist and then lied about it is pretty nonsensical, IMO. For some reason, I suspect that if John McCain had sat on boards with the relatively peaceful David Duke and launched his political career in Duke's living room, Obama's defenders would be the most vocal in attacking McCain for exercising such bad judgment.

Knowingly associating with terrorists is wrong no matter how you spin it.

The McCain campaign will suffer a major backlash by trying to make this an issue instead of how they're going to fix the economy. Wait and see.

The McCain campaign will suffer a major backlash by trying to make this an issue instead of how they're going to fix the economy. Wait and see.
You may be right but if the majority of voters in this country are okay with electing a man so lacking in judgment and character as Barrack Obama, then we will get the government that we deserve.

If anybody is still wondering why some people believe that Barrack Obama's long association with Bill Ayers is a big deal, you might want to watch the following video. If you think that Ayers and Dohrn grew up into responsible, mainstream adults, skip ahead to the last minute or so of the video and note that Obama knew the couple before, during, and after the interview with Connie Chung. It is no plausible to suggest that Obama did not know what kind of trash these people were when he chose to associate with them and to accept their political support.

Give me a break. Ayers was not engaged in terrrorism when he and Obama crossed paths, therefore it is inaccurate to say he "associates with terrorists". This is an attempt to smear Obama by association because McCain's ship is sinking fast and he is shooting blanks on every issue from the economy to Iraq.

:rolleyes: Once a terriost always a terrorist. It is amazing that you are trying to justify Obama's relationship with that awlful argument. Maybe there is something to their relationship and maybe there isn't but to say it doesn't matter because Obama didn't know him then is laughable at best. :lol:

I suspect that if John McCain had sat on boards with the relatively peaceful David Duke and launched his political career in Duke's living room, Obama's defenders would be the most vocal in attacking McCain for exercising such bad judgment.
Ya' reckon... :lol:

Unsubtantiated? In what way?

It's been blown way out of proportion. No one doubts he knows Ayers, but the Right wants you to believe they are BFFs.

McCain has fallen behind in pretty much all polls. There is less than a month to go before the election. Does he really think trying to loosely connect Obama to a shady character is going to win him the Presidency? Do you really think that this is the best strategy, trying to tear down Obama's character? How about he focus on the issues? It's obviously desperation time for McCain and if he thinks this is the best strategy, then we'll see that 8 point lead grow.

It's been blown way out of proportion. No one doubts he knows Ayers, but the Right wants you to believe they are BFFs.

McCain has fallen behind in pretty much all polls. There is less than a month to go before the election. Does he really think trying to loosely connect Obama to a shady character is going to win him the Presidency? Do you really think that this is the best strategy, trying to tear down Obama's character? How about he focus on the issues? It's obviously desperation time for McCain and if he thinks this is the best strategy, then we'll see that 8 point lead grow.

I missed the part where you explain what has been said about the Obama/Ayers relationship that has been unsubstantiated. The connection between the two has not been "loose" - the two worked closely together for several years. You may be right about the impact of the Ayers association on the election but Obama lied when he described Ayers as just some guy who lives in his neighborhood and repeating his age at the time of Ayers' bombing spree is irrelevant and deliberately misleading by the Obama campaign.

And I love how he sent Palin out to "break" this story. She's nothing more than a minion for this campaign. Does anyone really think she'd ever heard of Bill Ayers before a couple days ago? Of course not.
After all of the unfounded personal smears that Obama's minions have directed at Gov. Palin, she seems to be enjoying her role as McCain's attack dog. Obama will be playing defense for 30 days because Biden is no match for Palin on the campaign trail.

It scares me that the American public overlooks his associations. It looks like you may be right that it is not affecting the poles, but it should. Between his 20 year relationship w/ Reverend Wright, his "neighbor" Ayers, and his willingness to sit down w/ terrorist organizations that want Israel off the map I'm just concerned. I hope that after he wins the election I'm totally wrong in being worried and scared.

I missed the part where you explain what has been said about the Obama/Ayers relationship that has been unsubstantiated. The connection between the two has not been "loose" - the two worked closely together for several years. You may be right about the impact of the Ayers association on the election but Obama lied when he described Ayers as just some guy who lives in his neighborhood and repeating his age at the time of Ayers' bombing spree is irrelevant and deliberately misleading by the Obama campaign.

Good grief. They worked together on a board for securing funding for public schools. Not hardly tinkering around with C4. Ayers is actually a very active member in the Chicago community and Mayor Richard Daly speaks with him a lot on issues relating to education. No one is calling Daly a terrorist sympathizer.