Texting is a Scourge on Our Society

Watusi

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does and I do! :thumb:

OK...never mind. It was a really funny joke, but apparently too far below your sophistication. :lol: Meaning...I have a wackadoo sense of humor and was dying laughing at my joke....Not remembering no one ever gets my jokes.

OK...never mind. It was a really funny joke, but apparently too far below your sophistication. :lol: Meaning...I have a wackadoo sense of humor and was dying laughing at my joke....Not remembering no one ever gets my jokes.
I got it. But I doubt that's much of a comfort. :jump:

I think of text messages as electronic Post-it notes. It lets you send a brief message without having to inturrupt the receiver, and without having to go through all the customary pleasentries of a phone call.

LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

When in a moving object that you are responsible for controlling whether it be train, car, or 747, I'll agree with 2C.

Feel the same way while eating and driving?

Fiddling with CD's trying to find one to listen to while you are driving?

Trying to light a cigarette, cigar, pipe, while driving?

Turning around and telling your kids in the backseat that you are going to stop this car?

"Texting is a scourge on our society."

I agree! Texting is completely out of hand. I see teens texting in church. My wife tells me about kids texting during class. Just this week, the kid being paid to change my oil at the "quick lube" place took about 3 minutes to read and send several text messages. This was 3 out of 20 minutes I was there. By that, in an 8 hour shift, he is stealing 72 minutes from his company. He wasn't happy when I told him he could finish his important business after he was finished with my truck. Texting in innapropriate settings is just plain bad manners and should not happen.

Turning around and telling your kids in the backseat that you are going to stop this car?

spindoc doesn't eat, listen to music, smoke and his kids are angels...

Just to make sure everyone is on a level playing field:

scourge

Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[skurj] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, scourged, scourg·ing.

–noun

1. a whip or lash, esp. for the infliction of punishment or torture.

2. a person or thing that applies or administers punishment or severe criticism.

3. a cause of affliction or calamity: Disease and famine are scourges of humanity.

–verb (used with object)

4. to whip with a scourge; lash.

5. to punish, chastise, or criticize severely.

If not a scourge, how about "Texting is a POX on our society?"

So, do you feel the same way about email? It's the same thing. Electronic communication message sent from machine to machine.

Most people aren't answering e-mail in public. Texting, whilst silent, is no less invasive or rude than public cell phone conversations are.

Would it be appropriate for me to be typing on my IBM Selectric II in the car whilst driving? Texting is no different.

By the way(or should I say BTW?), I'm not old, and I think cell phones are ridiculously unnecessary and a waste of time and money. Most people who have them are seriously addicted ala crack and heroin.

If not a scourge, how about "Texting is a POX on our society?"

Most people aren't answering e-mail in public. Texting, whilst silent, is no less invasive or rude than public cell phone conversations are.

Would it be appropriate for me to be typing on my IBM Selectric II in the car whilst driving? Texting is no different.

By the way(or should I say BTW?), I'm not old, and I think cell phones are ridiculously unnecessary and a waste of time and money. Most people who have them are seriously addicted ala crack and heroin.

Most of the time, people can get cell phones cheaper than land lines. Comparing the use of a cell phone to the use of crack and heroin is way over board.

Most of the time, people can get cell phones cheaper than land lines.

People don't use their land lines in cars or in public.

Comparing the use of a cell phone to the use of crack and heroin is way over board.

That's just the monkey on your back talking. Addiction is addiction.

People don't use their land lines in cars or in public.

That's just the monkey on your back talking. Addiction is addiction.

You're comparing a legal communication device to illegal drugs...i'll call that my common sense monkey then.

All you said was that they were a waste of time and money, I disagreed because for most people they aren't at all. I talk on the phone while I'm driving all the time, if anything it makes me more aware of my surroundings.