Texting is a Scourge on Our Society

Watusi

Most of the time, people can get cell phones cheaper than land lines. Comparing the use of a cell phone to the use of crack and heroin is way over board.

You're comparing a legal communication device to illegal drugs...i'll call that my common sense monkey then.

All you said was that they were a waste of time and money, I disagreed because for most people they aren't at all. I talk on the phone while I'm driving all the time, if anything it makes me more aware of my surroundings.

I'll stand by my earlier statement that addiction is addiction.

Common sense would clearly tell you that whilst driving a car your attention should be focused completely on driving a car. And, from the numerous conversations I am forced to overhear daily, I can tell you that they are a waste of time and money.

You're a cell phone user, I am not. We're probably not going to reach an agreement on this subject.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

addiction

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/addiction

Main Entry: ad·dic·tion

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

Function: noun

Date: 1599

1: the quality or state of being addicted

2: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal ; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful

For our purposes here, I guess so...:lol:

I'll stand by my earlier statement that addiction is addiction.

Common sense would clearly tell you that whilst driving a car your attention should be focused completely on driving a car. And, from the numerous conversations I am forced to overhear daily, I can tell you that they are a waste of time and money.

You're a cell phone user, I am not. We're probably not going to reach an agreement on this subject.

I just told you that I focus more while talking on the phone when I am driving. It makes me focuse more because I am multi tasking. I could easily go without a cell phone, but to say they are a waste of time and money is dead wrong.

I'm a teenager so I am always texting on my phone. Although there are certain times that there shouldn't be texting. Like about 3 months ago I was at one of my sisters friends funeral and I seen a couple of kids texting during the service and I just wanted to walk over and break their phones. How do you not have enough respect to not use your phone for 2 hours? Its pathetic sometimes.

Plus, I HATE voicemail. I don't like leaving messages and I don't like getting messages. I'd rather receive a text that says, "Call me" than a voicemail explaining the reason you called.

Jim, are you referring to the texting "language" or texting in general?

Absolutely! :thumb:

Voice mails are horrible. They waste your time, and the majority of voice mails drag on for far too long without any substance. A simple text would suffice, and is much more effective. Or, in some instances, just having a missed call works - no voicemail necessary.

I agree that sometimes texting is a bit easier, but I just can't stand watching young children walking with their heads down texting someone when they are in the company of others and are totally ignoring who they are with.

I agree. It is very strange to see.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad, and hope that, as a parent, you're able to teach your kids right from wrong, appropriate behavior from inappropriate, and so on and so forth.

Voice mails are horrible. They waste your time, and the majority of voice mails drag on for far too long without any substance. A simple text would suffice, and is much more effective. Or, in some instances, just having a missed call works - no voicemail necessary.

I disagree. If it's not an important enough issue to leave me a voice mail, I'm probably going to take my sweet time returning your call. If I even return the call at all.

Plus, I HATE voicemail. I don't like leaving messages and I don't like getting messages. I'd rather receive a text that says, "Call me" than a voicemail explaining the reason you called.

Jim, are you referring to the texting "language" or texting in general?

Both.

If i have a missed call without a voice mail, there's about a 3% chance the person will be getting a call back. Leave a message if you want something.