Smallest Counties in KY

Nicholas County's girls won a state title ... I believe it was in 1993. They also won the All A Classic that year.

None of the others in the top 10 have made the state tournament, as I recall. Owsley County (1990) and Fulton County (1993) were All A Classic runners-up, and I know that Fulton County made the regional finals in March of that year. Fulton County's girls made the Sweet 16 a couple of times in the '90s.

I don't know that Elliott has three or four potential Division I players ... a couple of those guys may end up in the NAIA or Division II ranks. That isn't a bad thing, either.

I corrected the top 10 and included Lee Co.....they have made the dance twice.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed this topic, great job Lion Mania. One interesting county is Pike which is very large as far as square miles but not so much in poulation. At one time not to long ago I think they had something like 10 high schools with Belfry being 3A at the time, Johns Creek 2A with 8 A schools. Since consolidation I think it is now 4AA schools & 2 single A schools.

I too have a soft spot for Lee Co westsider and would love to see them get back to the sweet sixteen since I was a player on the last Lee team to make it in 1973. They have had alot of good thems that I thought would make it back but it shows you how hard it is to make it back to the big show. Especially for the small counties. That is one reason I have enjoyed reading this thread on small counties and schools.

Had you made this list 20 years ago, Gallatin Co. would've checked in at No. 2 (and it's actually the smallest county in the state, geographically).

Since I graduated from HS, Gallatin County's population has doubled, and then some. It's probably closer to about 9,000 people now. It's no coincidence Gallatin Co. has enjoyed its most successful run (save for the 1959 Sweet 16 trip) in the past 15 years with the influx of NoKy/Cincy transplants. Up until the past 15 years, Gallatin Co. was a perennial dreg in the 8th Region.

I have to disagree with you on the NKY/Cincy transplants being the reason for Gallatin's "success" in recent years. 99% of all of Gallatin's players have been homegrown. Coach Jones has been one of the reasons for the success. He has pretty much eliminated( in boys basketball at least )the "loser" mentality that permeated Gallatin Co. athletics for so many years.

I have to disagree with you on the NKY/Cincy transplants being the reason for Gallatin's "success" in recent years. 99% of all of Gallatin's players have been homegrown. Coach Jones has been one of the reasons for the success. He has pretty much eliminated( in boys basketball at least )the "loser" mentality that permeated Gallatin Co. athletics for so many years.

My apologies to Johnny as I didn't mean to downplay his huge role in the upswing. I don't know if I agree with your 99 percent homegrown number, you'd have to admit that having more kids available to the program from the lowest levels on up to the varsity has helped deepen what was always a very shallow talent pool in our HS days, and increased competition for PT.

A coach of Johnny's caliber may have improved the bad teams of the '80s, but I doubt he could have positioned many of those teams to contend for region titles.

Kentucky has too many counties at 120, but most were formed in the horse and buggy days when it was necessary to be able to get to the county seat and back in one day. The state legislators should form a committee to examine whether many of these counties should be consolidated. But politics probably will never allow that to happen.

BTW, I may be wrong but I believe that my county, Owsley, is the only county in the state that doesn't have a stop light (only one 3-way caution light as you enter metropolis Booneville.)

Elliott has No stop or Caution lights in it!!!

Elliott has No stop or Caution lights in it!!!

Okay...didn't know that.

Hey Elliott County, at least we have a caution light! :D

BTW, I'm very proud of what this small school has accomplished. I've known coach Rick Mays for a long time. He is a class person and a great coach, and I wish him the best of luck this season.

The name Nate Edmusdson comes to mind in hoops, who had a rather impactful senior year in hoops; but I agree with Coach Jones being a winner!!

In addition to Edmonson, how about Maddox? I don't believe he is "homegrown".