Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Smallest Counties in KY

Featured Replies

Below are the 10 smallest counties in the state of KY by population:

 

1) Robertson--2,250

2) Owsley--4,850

3) Hickman--5,200

4) Carlisle--5,350

5) Menifee--6,550

6) Elliott--6,750

7) Nicholas--6,810

8) Wolfe--7,050

9) Cumberland--7,150

10) Lee Co 7,648

11) Fulton--7,750

 

Elliott (16th Region) and Carlisle (1st Region) are the only ones I can remember over the last 30 years or so making the Sweet Sixteen State Tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong?? Also the 11th smallest county is Gallatin (8th Region) 7,870 and one of the top teams in the 8th. 12th smallest county is Lyon County 8,050 where Ty Rogers of WKU hit that remarkable shot in the NCAA this year. Clinton County 9,600 ranks as the 18th smallest county and had a top girl's team a few years back, but not heard anything from the boy's team. Fulton County (1st Region) several years back also had a good team that made the All A Final 16 in Richmond.

 

Also Elliott County may be the only one after next season to be ranked in the Top 10 or Top 5 in the State Basketball Polls. It is remarkable that a school so small and so remote could produce 3-4 potential D-1 college players all on the same team. The fact that they have won the region two years in a row and been in the finals of the region the last 3 years is also remarkable. And they have one more season left with this group to set some new marks and make history for the county.

 

Also, for those who like stats, Sandy Hook is the 7th smallest county seat in KY with a population of 670. Booneville (Owsley Co.) with only 150 is the smallest county seat in KY. Mt. Olivet (Robertson Co.) is 2d with 300.

 

I welcome and would be interested in your comments and observations on these small counties and their basketball tradition.

Edited by gold sunrise

  • Replies 76
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kentucky must lead the nation in small counties.

Only two of those counties field high school football teams. Nicholas County has one school and Fulton County has two (City and County).

Had you made this list 20 years ago, Gallatin Co. would've checked in at No. 2 (and it's actually the smallest county in the state, geographically).

 

Since I graduated from HS, Gallatin County's population has doubled, and then some. It's probably closer to about 9,000 people now. It's no coincidence Gallatin Co. has enjoyed its most successful run (save for the 1959 Sweet 16 trip) in the past 15 years with the influx of NoKy/Cincy transplants. Up until the past 15 years, Gallatin Co. was a perennial dreg in the 8th Region.

Lee Co has a population of 7,648. They have made the state tourney two times, as winners of the 14th region. Their first trip was in 1968. They made it to Saturday morning and got beat by Seneca in OT. In their first game they were a 18 point underdog and beat Danville by 18. Next they played Clark Co and beat them by 4. Glasgow won the state that year.

 

Their next trip was in either 1972 or 73 and they got beat their first game.

  • Author
Lee Co has a population of 7,648. They have made the state tourney two times, as winners of the 14th region. Their first trip was in 1968. They made it to Saturday morning and got beat by Seneca in OT. In their first game they were a 18 point underdog and beat Danville by 18. Next they played Clark Co and beat them by 4. Glasgow won the state that year.

 

Their next trip was in either 1972 or 73 and they got beat their first game.

 

Yes, Lee County (Beattyville) is one of the smallest counties also. I believe that 1968 team had Larry Stamper who played for Rupp at UK. Boy he was a big rugged mountain forward that would battle on the inside. When getting my stats one site had Lee with 17,648 and I thought to myself they can't be that big. It was an error obviously. Thanks for correcting the error. Lee I understand has a good player this year in Charles. Maybe they can make some noise again in the 14th Region. I love seeing these small rural counties show up good in their regions. Thanks again for the input.

  • Author
Kentucky must lead the nation in small counties.

 

Yes, they must. When putting this together I found out that approximately 20 of the 120 counties have populations under 10,000. Can't remember them all but there was Hancock, Crittenden, Livingston, Ballard, Bracken, and McClean counties to name a few. Been following HS Hoops since the late 60s and never heard of these counties making the Sweet Sixteen or being mentioned as region contenders.

I believe another factor to county size is the number of high schools located within the county. And as posted earlier...are there competing sports...particularly football?

Yes, Lee County (Beattyville) is one of the smallest counties also. I believe that 1968 team had Larry Stamper who played for Rupp at UK. Boy he was a big rugged mountain forward that would battle on the inside. When getting my stats one site had Lee with 17,648 and I thought to myself they can't be that big. It was an error obviously. Thanks for correcting the error. Lee I understand has a good player this year in Charles. Maybe they can make some noise again in the 14th Region. I love seeing these small rural counties show up good in their regions. Thanks again for the input.

 

Just glad I could help. I have been going to the State Tourney for 40+ years. That 1968 Lee Co team has been one of my favorites. Also loved the Canneyville team too.

Kentucky has too many counties at 120, but most were formed in the horse and buggy days when it was necessary to be able to get to the county seat and back in one day. The state legislators should form a committee to examine whether many of these counties should be consolidated. But politics probably will never allow that to happen.

 

 

BTW, I may be wrong but I believe that my county, Owsley, is the only county in the state that doesn't have a stop light (only one 3-way caution light as you enter metropolis Booneville.)

Lee and Owsley combined would still be one of the smallest in the state, around 12000 or 13000 population. I really dont see much growth for either, as both are off the beaten path.

I believe Gallatin used to be the biggest a loooooooong time ago. It consisted of Boone and Carroll I believe.

Largest Counties

Rank County 2000 Pop.
1 Los Angeles Co., California 9,519,338
2 Cook Co., Illinois 5,376,741
3 Harris Co., Texas 3,400,578
4 Maricopa Co., Arizona 3,072,149
5 Orange Co., California 2,846,289
6 San Diego Co., California 2,813,833
7 Kings Co., New York 2,465,326
8 Miami-Dade Co., Florida 2,253,362
9 Queens Co., New York 2,229,379
10 Dallas Co., Texas 2,218,899
11 Wayne Co., Michigan 2,061,162
12 King Co., Washington 1,737,034
13 San Bernardino Co., California 1,709,434
14 Santa Clara Co., California 1,682,585
15 Broward Co., Florida 1,623,018

 

Smallest Counties

 

Rank County 2000 Pop.
1 Loving Co., Texas 67
2 Kalawao Co., Hawaii 147
3 King Co., Texas 356
4 Kenedy Co., Texas 414
5 Arthur Co., Nebraska 444
6 Petroleum Co., Montana 493
7 McPherson Co., Nebraska 533
8 San Juan Co., Colorado 558
9 Blaine Co., Nebraska 583
10 Loup Co., Nebraska 712
11 Thomas Co., Nebraska 729
12 Borden Co., Texas 729
13 Grant Co., Nebraska 747
14 Slope Co., North Dakota 767
15 Logan Co., Nebraska 774

Anyone want to go to Loving Co. Texas? :lol: Might go to the great city of Mentone.

Below are the 10 smallest counties in the state of KY by population:

 

1) Robertson--2,250

2) Owsley--4,850

3) Hickman--5,200

4) Carlisle--5,350

5) Menifee--6,550

6) Elliott--6,750

7) Nicholas--6,810

8) Wolfe--7,050

9) Cumberland--7,150

10) Fulton--7,750

 

Elliott (16th Region) and Carlisle (1st Region) are the only ones I can remember over the last 30 years or so making the Sweet Sixteen State Tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong?? Also the 11th smallest county is Gallatin (8th Region) 7,870 and one of the top teams in the 8th. 12th smallest county is Lyon County 8,050 where Ty Rogers of WKU hit that remarkable shot in the NCAA this year. Clinton County 9,600 ranks as the 18th smallest county and had a top girl's team a few years back, but not heard anything from the boy's team. Fulton County (1st Region) several years back also had a good team that made the All A Final 16 in Richmond.

 

Also Elliott County may be the only one after next season to be ranked in the Top 10 or Top 5 in the State Basketball Polls. It is remarkable that a school so small and so remote could produce 3-4 potential D-1 college players all on the same team. The fact that they have won the region two years in a row and been in the finals of the region the last 3 years is also remarkable. And they have one more season left with this group to set some new marks and make history for the county.

 

Also, for those who like stats, Sandy Hook is the 7th smallest county seat in KY with a population of 670. Booneville (Owsley Co.) with only 150 is the smallest county seat in KY. Mt. Olivet (Robertson Co.) is 2d with 300.

 

I welcome and would be interested in your comments and observations on these small counties and their basketball tradition.

Nicholas County's girls won a state title ... I believe it was in 1993. They also won the All A Classic that year.

 

None of the others in the top 10 have made the state tournament, as I recall. Owsley County (1990) and Fulton County (1993) were All A Classic runners-up, and I know that Fulton County made the regional finals in March of that year. Fulton County's girls made the Sweet 16 a couple of times in the '90s.

 

I don't know that Elliott has three or four potential Division I players ... a couple of those guys may end up in the NAIA or Division II ranks. That isn't a bad thing, either.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.