Should we boycott the upcoming Olympics?

MJAlltheWay24

I was just watching Outside the Lines on ESPN and I thought that this would be an interesting topic that could be discussed here. We have boycotted them in the past when they were in Moscow, Russia. There seems to be a lot of violence and protests during the running of the torch. I am not saying we should, just thought it would create a good discussion.

What do you all think?

I think the only people that were penalized in the Moscow Olympics were the American athletes. We made a much bigger statement that same year in Lake Placid when the US hockey team beat the Russians.

I think the only people that were penalized in the Moscow Olympics were the American athletes. We made a much bigger statement that same year in Lake Placid when the US hockey team beat the Russians.

My thoughts are kinda the same as yours HHSDad. I wasn't around when we boycotted them. But, I really don't think anyone would care if we boycotted and it would just hurt our athletes and our supports who truly enjoy watching our athletes compete.

Amen....:thumb:

Only people that it will hurt are the athletes that have been in training for the Olympics, so NO.

:thumb::thumb: If I voted to boycott it would be because of the smog. Has anyone seen what the kids are going to be breathing:madman::madman:

I saw an article a few months ago that had a quote from someone in the USOC that said something like "If they made a list of worst ideas ever conceived, boycotting the olympics would be right up there at the top of the list."

I don't think it should be considered. I think the Olypics are a place that should be void of politics.

I completely agree with you, but from the looks of the Olympics in the past and boycotts that have been made, plus Berlin and Munich and now there have been many attacks on the runners of the torch already, I just don't thik we will ever have an Olympics without politics, but I completely agree.

:thumb::thumb: If I voted to boycott it would be because of the smog. Has anyone seen what the kids are going to be breathing:madman::madman:

It's absolutely terrible, and I wonder how anyone can see the awful environmental conditions in China, India, etc., and still say less regulation of air pollutants in this country is a good idea.

But, boycotting the Olympics is a bad idea, that just may come back to haunt you, like it did in LA in '84. Bobby Knight is still upset he didn't get a chance to exact his own personal revenge against the Russkies for 1972. And that '84 team would've cruised to a gold, whether Arvydas Sirbonas was in his prime then or not.