Teacher Pay?

A thread in the general discussion got me a little fired up (again) and I thought this thread belongs here as govt has to fix it...

I am a former school teacher...but for the life of me I cannot figure out why we do not pay our school teachers more money. We are not going to attract the best individuals to the profession when they can make more money managing a Speedway.

Also, why do we not pay teachers based on merit? We pay them based on time of service. This is absolutely ridiculous. What other profession does this? You can be the best teacher in school yet make the same or less than the worst. Even the military promotes based on merit. The best lawyers make the most $$$, same for Docs, basically any other professional.

What say you?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thread in the general discussion got me a little fired up (again) and I thought this thread belongs here as govt has to fix it...

I am a former school teacher...but for the life of me I cannot figure out why we do not pay our school teachers more money. We are not going to attract the best individuals to the profession when they can make more money managing a Speedway.

Also, why do we not pay teachers based on merit? We pay them based on time of service. This is absolutely ridiculous. What other profession does this? You can be the best teacher in school yet make the same or less than the worst. Even the military promotes based on merit. The best lawyers make the most $$$, same for Docs, basically any other professional.

What say you?

Pretty much any Union.

Managing a Speedway most likely consists of 50+ hours a week 50 weeks a year. Dealing with everything from advertising, ordering, maintenance, Human resources, payroll, customer issues, and cash flow maintenance. I'd say managing a speedway is significantly more difficult than teaching.

Managing a Speedway most likely consists of 50+ hours a week 50 weeks a year. Dealing with everything from advertising, ordering, maintenance, Human resources, payroll, customer issues, and cash flow maintenance. I'd say managing a speedway is significantly more difficult than teaching.

Uh, no

If you are a good teacher, you average at least 50 hours a week and deal with peoples kids and until you have done that, you have no clue how hard of a job it is.........

Uh, no

If you are a good teacher, you average at least 50 hours a week and deal with peoples kids and until you have done that, you have no clue how hard of a job it is.........

When you say average 50 hours per week is that for the calendar year or school year?

Why is that this has to be blamed on unions? There's good and bad in everything and it's not always the fault of the unions.

Its part of the collective bargaining process in all union companies. The union negoiates standard pay rates based on years of service and rank. Teacher's unions also negoitate tenure.