Teacher Pay?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Kentucky should cut 20% of their school teaching and administrative staffs, increase teacher salaries by 20%, and operate schools 12 months a year.

While I am all for alternative schedules that spreads out summer time break throughout the year and gives breaks to the students, I don't think that increasing the year with a significant amount of time would do much good.

There are a lot of worthwhile programs that go on during summer months that would become obsolete.

Thus who have failed have summertime to makeup the credit they have missed and retain their path to graduation on time.

Governor Scholar's Programs, Upward Bound programs and other summer educational programs which do alot of good would be hurt.

I do think that we are bloated at the administration level but a good amount of that bloated feeling comes from requirements placed on local districts by Frankfort.

While I am all for alternative schedules that spreads out summer time break throughout the year and gives breaks to the students, I don't think that increasing the year with a significant amount of time would do much good.

There are a lot of worthwhile programs that go on during summer months that would become obsolete.

Thus who have failed have summertime to makeup the credit they have missed and retain their path to graduation on time.

Governor Scholar's Programs, Upward Bound programs and other summer educational programs which do alot of good would be hurt.

I do think that we are bloated at the administration level but a good amount of that bloated feeling comes from requirements placed on local districts by Frankfort.

A small price to pay if teachers would be satisfied with their pay and the change would cost very little extra. Some of those programs that you mentioned could also be spread across 12 months. There is nothing special about the summer months.

A small price to pay if teachers would be satisfied with their pay and the change would cost very little extra. Some of those programs that you mentioned could also be spread across 12 months. There is nothing special about the summer months.

Summer months is a time that teachers can devote to their required additional learning.

And don't tell me that most professions have it because the amount that is required for teachers is greater than most of the others 1-2 workshops that others have.

^ And it takes three months....I am tired of this old argument. Teachers say they do it, for the love of it. I am sure the time off has never mattered. I feel at best/worst they are paid what they "generally" deserve...especially hourly.

^ And it takes three months....I am tired of this old argument. Teachers say they do it, for the love of it. I am sure the time off has never mattered. I feel at best/worst they are paid what they "generally" deserve...especially hourly.

30 hours of collegiate credit. How long does that take???? Did you do 30 hours of collegiate credit in Masters or above level in less than 3 months?

One of my fellow teachers who was working on her administration degree had to put together a manual for basically a school in one of her classroom assignments. It was over 400 pages in length. After turning it in, they returned it to her, for her to redo it because basically the page numbering was not like they wanted. She had put pages back to back in the little paper slip covers and they wanted one page per slip cover.

Then expect and DON'T COMPLAIN when you get the type of education you "generally" deserve.

Summer months is a time that teachers can devote to their required additional learning.

And don't tell me that most professions have it because the amount that is required for teachers is greater than most of the others 1-2 workshops that others have.

Maybe some of that additional training should be done on school grounds and maybe some of it does nothing to improve teaching skills and could be eliminated. In most professions, if one needs to obtain an advanced degree, the problem of finding time to take the classes is the employee's problem.

I do believe that teachers should be reimbursed tuition costs if the school district or state requires the training.

Maybe some of that additional training should be done on school grounds and maybe some of it does nothing to improve teaching skills and could be eliminated. In most professions, if one needs to obtain an advanced degree, the problem of finding time to take the classes is the employee's problem.

I do believe that teachers should be reimbursed tuition costs if the school district or state requires the training.

No reimbursement occurs unless you count the pay raise that usually takes about 4-5 years before you break even.

The problem is that teacher's have no say in that. It is mostly decided through political process in Frankfort.

And we know what politics does for things.

I think that is the most frustrating part for us. Teachers who are the ones involved with kids and knows what works are not the ones making the decisions about what is best for the kids.

No reimbursement occurs unless you count the pay raise that usually takes about 4-5 years before you break even.

The problem is that teacher's have no say in that. It is mostly decided through political process in Frankfort.

And we know what politics does for things.

I think that is the most frustrating part for us. Teachers who are the ones involved with kids and knows what works are not the ones making the decisions about what is best for the kids.

I agree with this 100%.

A teacher works about 8 months a year, I'll even concede another 2-3 weeks. That leaves you 12-13 weeks off. I would get another job during that off time, that would enable you to make more $$$$. I don't want to hear about taking work home, as most of us in the private sector do that as well, and work on the weekends, etc....Teachers all knew what the pay was when they got started in that field, they are paid justly IMO.
Let me talk to you as someone who grew up in a teacher's family.

In our home, there was no "12-13 weeks off." I almost laughed when I read that, until I remembered how truly unfunny it is. My father worked straight through all of those luxurious summer breaks you seem to be imagining. In fact, in the early days, he worked days, nights, and weekends to keep us going. My mother worked as well. I won't even go into the hazards involved in the the teaching profession. They are numerous, and grow worse every day.

Not sure where you came up with these stereotypical notions -- my guess would be, from 1950's sit-coms. In reality, teachers' pay was, and is no where near what the job deserves.

Yeah, that will attract the best and brightest into the profession and sounds like a real smart plan.

Be a teacher where you can work as a Walmart greeter in the summer months to supplement your low income.

I am sure those top of the line students will be running to join the teaching profession.

Sure that will be attracting the kind of teachers you want teaching your kid.

For those of you who feel that teachers are overpaid or paid just right, don't be be upset when you get exactly the education you are paying for.

Do we really need the best and the brightest as teachers? If so and we are not getting the best and the brightest currently due to teachers being underpaid (which is your point as I understand it) then you'd agree that the associated corollary is that our education system if failing because we have poor teachers in our schools. Is that your analysis? That you and the other current teachers in our schools just aren't getting it done because they are not the best and the brightest?

I thought the lottery was a suppose to be cure all for our educational system. Wasn't that how it was sold to us when we voted on approving it ?

Well if that was what you thought, then you made some quantum leaps of logic when you voted for it. I voted for the lottery because I was told that it would generate more dollars for our education system. Has the lottery done such? Yes it has. Think how much more underfunded the education system would be without the lottery revenue. The lottery system (which I don't participate in because, quite frankly, I don't want to throw my money in the toilet) has in fact helped the education system specifically and our state in general.

Let me talk to you as someone who grew up in a teacher's family.

In our home, there was no "12-13 weeks off." I almost laughed when I read that, until I remembered how truly unfunny it is. My father worked straight through all of those luxurious summer breaks you seem to be imagining. In fact, in the early days, he worked days, nights, and weekends to keep us going. My mother worked as well. I won't even go into the hazards involved in the the teaching profession. They are numerous, and grow worse every day.

Not sure where you came up with these stereotypical notions -- my guess would be, from 1950's sit-coms. In reality, teachers' pay was, and is no where near what the job deserves.

BF, what did your father (a very great man by the way) do during the summer? Didn't he take other summer jobs?

I thought the lottery was a suppose to be cure all for our educational system. Wasn't that how it was sold to us when we voted on approving it ?

Once lottery money went into the general fund -it did not help education. The only way it would is if it was set up into a seperate account